ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few SF7 questions - SPP parallel mode?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vlcice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: A few SF7 questions - SPP parallel mode? Reply with quote

I'm planning on getting a GD SF7 soon, but there are a couple of things I'm not entirely clear on and thought I'd try asking about. I e-mailed Tomy too, but thought it was worth checking here too.

I'm not enturely clear on what power adapters it will or will not accept. I have a spare Genesis 1 power adapter (9V, 1.2A). Is that compatible?

I'm pretty sure I have a compatible parallel cable already, but is the SF7's port female or male?

Will the SF7 accept any amount of RAM? I was thinking of getting 96M, since there's nothing larger than Star Ocean, but I wasn't sure if it required even multiples of 32 and would want 128M instead.

Last edited by Vlcice on Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
madman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Genesis adapter will work fine. The LPT port is female. You can put any of the available RAM boards into an SF7.
Vlcice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That tells me everything I need to know before ordering, then.
Vlcice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow up on my previous questions, there's something I've been trying to find out in looking up information on the GDSF7's parallel support.

What exactly does it require? Will basically any parallel port-equipped computer work? I'm looking at using the SF7 with ucon64 on a Linux machine with an SPP-only parallel port. I did see a post mentioning elsewhere that ECP/EPP isn't required for the Game Doctor devices, so does that mean an SPP-only port will work?

I also noticed that ucon64's SF7 options don't appear to support reading ROMs over parallel port, only sending them. Is that an ucon64 limitation, or is it not possible to dump ROMs via parallel using any software?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All copiers until Dr V64 just need SPP/bidirectional. Most copiers from there are EPP, but I imagine many are still SPP. No copiers require ECP and I would recommend using strict EPP since SPP and EPP can coexist almost perfectly where ECP can't.
Vlcice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer, Kyuusaku! Hopefully that should be all I need to know.
Bishop702

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: just setup my SF7 with 96m of memory Reply with quote

Ok, i just setup mine up about 2 weeks ago.
Here are some issues I had and over came for the most part. Hope this helps
1. Set up your computer port for EPP and it gives you an option usually for version 1.7 and 1.9. I had issues with UCON64 recognizing the SF7 with 1.9 so I use 1.7 .....

2. It is a pain to run off XP.. I tried alot of programs but still no connection with UCON to the port. I just used Win 98 on a seperate drive.. Actually I just baught a Pentium III online for 30 bucks and now use it with WIN 98se as my game loader. UCON64 RUNS GREAT, QUICK and STABLE!!! U can also used the programs designed for the SF7 but its dos based and UCON64 with its frontend works the best.

3 For a cable you need a DB25 male to male Straigt through cable..Not a nule modem cable. I have used one as long as 25 feet.

4. Power adapter- If you are not sure, when you get it, look on the underside and it will tell you what range of current it excepts and has a small diagram about the current for the plug, it shows you what is negative and what is positive.. I just baught a n adapter at a game shop that had a current and plug..

5. UCON64- I use the newest version with its frontend.
I use it to convert my SMC,FIG and any other format to
SF7 roms to my SF7 ROM DIRECTORY. You do not have
to split the files, just use ucon64 to send the file under
GD6 protocal and the copier will split the file into memory banks automatically. also you convert all roms though into GD3 format

So Convert files to GD3 and send files with GD6 protocal.
I did get STAR OCEAN to load and play with 96m with no problem, bu to find it was hell.

Hope this helps... I love my SF7, very stable
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: