ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Console powered copier devices.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Console powered copier devices. Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone recall any SNES/GEN copiers that ran directly on console power and did not require an external PS? As I recall, most copiers work fine without power, but the floppy drive will always return an error code when unpowered.

For some reason I recall much older copiers able to run purely from console power, but perhaps I'm just forgetting too much from my copier days.

PS: I'd post on Assembler, but I figure more people read this forum for copier related issues.
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming by "SNES/GEN" you mean single system copiers. I have several copiers that are powered solely by console.
Super Wild Card, Super Wild Card DX, Double Pro Fighter X , Super Magicom for the SNES and Super Magic Drive for the Genesis.

I know there are tons more, but what's the point of listing them all unless you are compiling a database which I'm sure already exists Razz

Trenton_net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWC's and Pro Fig's are console powered!? Does that include the floppy drive? Or just booting to BIOS?
madman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWCs and SMDs are console powered. Most (if not all) copiers will boot up without a power supply, but as you mentioned the drives may error out as they need +5v from the adapter. I can't remember for sure about Pro Fighters. Bung copiers all require adapters as do all of the Famicom units. The MD+ from CCL also requires an adapter.
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I understand virtually all copiers boot up to BIOS without power, but I can remember few (If any) that also can use the floppy drive as well under console power. I take it the Fig's a nd SWC's are no exception? (Which is why I was supprised to hear otherwise).
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWC, SWCDX and DX2 have console powered floppys, it's kind of confusing though since the SWC's power jack tries to power the copier AND the console. If you use the console for power, you're forcing the console's regulator to dissipate up to 40 times more heat than it would with a normal game cartridge. If you use the SWC's power jack, your forcing the copier to power the console. Nobody wins :(

BTW, all Pro Fighters I've seen need the power supply to power the floppy. I wouldn't be surprised if one was modified though.
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. If Super Famicoms come with its own power supply, why would FFE think the SWC should be tasked with powering it? Odd indeed. In any case, has the stress from ether factors caused major issues with consoles or systems?

Perhaps thats why I used to hear storys about copier units that need "cooling" once in a while in order to stay stable.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFE's justification for powering the console through the copier is that they know their regulator can handle both devices, where the console's regulator in many cases can't depending on which brand of 7805 Nintendo used at the time of manufacture.
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So technically, with a FFE copier, you don't even need to power the console at all? I suppose that this odd behaviour/feature is unqiue to only SWC copiers?
madman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular SWCs (non-DX) don't have a power jack.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many do, it depends on the revision. I think all the PCBs had provisions for it to be fitted though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: