ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Magicom DRAM Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenepp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Super Magicom DRAM Help! Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have upgraded (if you can call it that) the DRAM in my SMC Pro to 32mb with some ram I pilfered from some old 4mb SIMMs. They are the same type but the response is 80n. The RAM already on the card is 70n, I assume this should not make too much difference with most games.

I also placed the caps from the SIMMs on the DRAM card since I assume these chips will need them.

My question is, should I expect to add any other parts to complete the upgrade? Like two more resistor networks on the SMC mainboard?

I ask since though it discovers the board as 32mb now and loads games, nothing actually runs, I get a black screen.

I know the SIMMs work since I tested them prior to my work and as far as I could tell, what I did should work ok.

The DRAM card does have slots for more resistor networks though, do I really require these to be added if I add more RAM? And even so, wouldn't the smaller games still work? I tested 4-16mb games and nothing runs. Sad

Any help here is greatly appreciated!

-Joel
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean by SMC Pro, but here are some issues upgrading a regular SMC or Supercom Pro 1:

-Super Magicom hardware and BIOS can't address 32M

-Super Magicom can't playback HiROM games (99% of >16M games), HiROM is implemented with a register bit feeding a multiplexer to shift address lines so it would be difficult to hack this in, not to mention adding support to the BIOS.

-80ns DRAM + the multiplexing logic is too slow for 120ns FastROM games (most games from 1993 onwards).

The resistor networks aren't necessary to fill, they're there to pull up/down the data bus for peculiar RAM.
Xenepp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I put it back to stock but realised.. it needed a game in the top run anyway Embarassed

I don't feel too bad though, if it wasn't going to play anything over 16mb anyway then I guess all is well. It still works ok so no harm done. Would have been nice to play Super Metroid though.

Guess that means I have some spare 80n DRAMs for anyone with broken RAM cards.

-Joel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: