ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FS: Any interest in brand new DRAM cards?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> User Buy/Sell, and Request stuff here
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenepp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: FS: Any interest in brand new DRAM cards? Reply with quote

*This is now an interest thread for new DRAM cards*

*Ignore this section*

I have some 1mb DRAMs that are suitable for Super Magicoms, Supercoms etc. Anything that uses Soj-20 1mb 80n chips.

If you send your dead RAM card I will replace and test these and ship them back to you for $15 (£7). Let me know what the DRAM chip numbers on your RAM card are before you go ahead to confirm compatability.

*Read this section*

Also, are there many people who need whole new DRAM cards? I could easily get some PCBs made and make some up for those who do, but there would need to be enough people needing them.

Keep in mind all of this will be for systems up to 16 mega bit. The DRAM is not fast enough for larger games but is exactly the same type the original CCL/FFE chips.

I can also clean up battery damaged PCBs for $15 or £7. Shipping is extra.

PM or reply here to register interest.

-Joel

Last edited by Xenepp on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrackLtd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually, i have a Supercom PRO-1 which got heavy damage thru a leaking battery. When i switch it on the BIOS screen shows up, but it shows me a black screen when i try to load and play a game. Can you fix it?

-----------------------------------
#ToToTEK Channel on EFNet
Xenepp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely, I've PM'd you.

-Joel
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: these copiers can ONLY make use of 512KiB (1M x 4 bit) RAM chips! They don't use the higher address lines for enabling but rather have enable signals because the boards need to be 16-bit wide in order to be used by both 8-bit bus consoles (SNES) and 16-bit (Genesis). If you want to use larger chips, you'll have redesign the DRAM PCB to decode the enable signals back into the most significant address line and build a 1-bit multiplexer synced to the mainboard's to take care of the highest address.

Anyways are you sure you even have 1MiB RAM? See DRAM is built in square grids, and a 2M x 4 chip would have an uneven number of address lines which is very uncharacteristic. Generally if you want to increase your capacity with DRAM, you either get more of the same chip and decode them (as early FFE/CCL boards do...), or you upgrade to a chip with the same address bus (keeping things square) but with a wider data bus (some of the later Pro Fighters do this.)

Also, 80ns is SLOWER than 70ns; ideally you want 60ns RAM for the best chance at FastROM on a Magicom.
Xenepp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80ns is slower? That would explain a lot! I've been tinkering with ROM and RAM for a while now and still have much to learn. I'm glad then, since I only had a hand full of the 80's, have lots of 70ns chips!

These chips are 1Mx4, in fact, the reason I got them was they were in a lot with some that have the same model number as those used in my Supercom. All are the same type of chip however and I've checked their datasheets, only difference with some is the access speed.

I only intend to replace dead DRAMs on the existing PCBs, though if there was enough interest I could easily recreate the entire PCB to make things easier and for those who don't have RAM in their units for whatever reason.

Just so I know though, didn't you say in the other thread that the FastROM games required about 120ns? Isn't that twice as slow?

-Joel
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenepp wrote:
These chips are 1Mx4, in fact, the reason I got them was they were in a lot with some that have the same model number as those used in my Supercom.

OK, so you have 512KiB chips, not 1MiB.

Xenepp wrote:
I only intend to replace dead DRAMs on the existing PCBs
The chance of a broken copier being due to a dead DRAM is like 1%, you'll be wasting your time and your customer's.

Xenepp wrote:
Just so I know though, didn't you say in the other thread that the FastROM games required about 120ns? Isn't that twice as slow?
Yes, FastROM requires 120ns which is twice as slow as 60ns. However DRAM isn't ROM, I'll explain:

To read a ROM, you simply apply it's address and assert /CE and /OE signals (/CE is even already decoded before you assert /OE), after it's specified worst case timing, you are free to read the valid data.

To read DRAM, you apply half the address, assert /RAS for a specified period, apply the second half of the address, assert /CAS for a specified period, then assert /OE, and after the worst case timing, you're free to read the data.

Since most copier's state machines run at 24 MHz, making the period of each clock 41ns, in the best case (not realistic) you can strobe in the address in two clocks giving you 82ns of overhead not including the ~20ns decoding time to start the state machine.

Since the CPU allocates maybe 40ns for address decoding (which takes only 20ns for a ROM but 20ns+82ns for DRAM) + 120ns latency, but the DRAM uses 102ns + it's latency, using 80ns DRAM adds up to ~182ns, 20ns over the allocated 160ns. At 160ns the CPU will read the data but it won't be valid and the CPU will crash.
Xenepp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The chance of a broken copier being due to a dead DRAM is like 1%, you'll be wasting your time and your customer's.

I'm sure you think everyone around you is a moron but just so you know, I'm not an idiot. I'm offering help for those who need it and honestly, I don't expect to service thousands of people. I expect to help out the few that need them, rather than throwing them in the bin since I'd find that selfish. I've seen a few peolpe ask for them on the forum and I don't see any harm offering them here.

Unless of course, you find this YOUR personal niche.

Quote:
OK, so you have 512KiB chips, not 1MiB

No.

This is from the datasheet for some of the chips I have (incidently, the EXACT SAME IC that is currently working just fine in my old Magicom):

GM71C4400AJ10

Number of Words=1M

Bits Per Word=4

t(acc) Max. (S)=100n

tW Min (S)=180n

Output Config=3-State

P(D) Max.(W) Power Dissipation=1.0

Nom. Supp (V)=5.0

Package=SOJ-20/26

Pins=26

Military=N

Technology=CMOS

This mean the ram is 1,048,576 WORDS (1M) x 4BIT CMOS Dynamic RAM. The rest are varient of this chip and have different access times.

Also keep in mind that I have a number of old backup units to test dead cards and restored cards on.

-Joel
DoctorBackup

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, Tomy/Tototek will replaced bad RAM chips on DRAM boards for people. Infact he replaced my friends dead UFO 8 chips on his DRAM board and now his UFO 8 works perfectly. As far as upgrading, I dont think he does that do to the reasons you ran in to. I personally am interested in your method of cleaning up leaking batteries on the PCB's? As for:
Xenepp wrote:

kyuusaku is just trying to help you. Just about anything to do with the older backup units IS kyuusaku's niche. I will go as far to say there is not anyone else on the net who is as active, will help for free, and knows more than him on the older units architecture and functuality.
Xenepp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
kyuusaku is just trying to help you.

Really, because it sounded to me like he was just being a little dry.

Also, I don't think you really read what I was proposing. I was only saying I had a bunch of chips sat here doing nothing and advised if anyone had a dead DRAM card I could repair it with the chips I have.

I also proposed if someone didn't have a card in the first place (I have seen people post this many times on other forums) I may consider making some replacment PCBs and use my chips. I also stated UP TO 16M so did not hint at upgrading since this is far beyond anything I can put my time into.

Quote:
backup units IS kyuusaku's niche

That's not really what I meant.

If Tomy already does this then fair enough, I'll throw these chips out. I merely wanted to see if I could be of help to someone rather than trashing perfectly good ICs.

Quote:
I personally am interested in your method of cleaning up leaking batteries on the PCB's?

As I did with my recently acquired Supercom, I used a fiberglass pencil to remove all the corrosion, checked for continuity and jumpered any traces which had been eaten away. I also replaced any components in that path for good measure. If a CPLD or any custom chip has been corroded it's the end of the line for that board, but mainly, theses boards can be cleaned up quite effectively.

-Joel
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People aren’t out to get you. Kyuusaku is just pointing out the facts. His estimates regarding DRAM failure is completely accurate. I’ve never seen any copier that failed outright due to a DRAM defect. The only time I can even remember anything remotely related to wide-spread DRAM issues were with crummier copiers that used sub-par parts from Laptops, proprietary memory, etc. In those cases, stores had to ship everything back to HK for servicing, which sucks when half your stock is defective!

But anyway, from reading your post it seems like your trying to paint DRAM as a major issue for failures, when it really isn’t. It wouldn’t be very responsible to sell people on a fix’s that probably won’t do anything. It also doesn’t help your case, when your trying to sell people on this, when you don’t even understands the latency/speed rating for chips?!?
Xenepp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It wouldn’t be very responsible to sell people on a fix’s that probably won’t do anything.

I have no idea what you people think I was offering but consider the offer 100% retracted. I was NOT trying to convince people their unit was probably dead due to DRAM failure. I was crediting people with enough intelligence to note if their DRAM WAS defective, it could be replaced. In any case, I have the facility to check it before repairing it.

Quote:
I’ve never seen any copier that failed outright due to a DRAM defect.

At what stage did I even suggest that? It is, in fact, not possible in general use. That I WILL state.

Quote:
People aren’t out to get you.

Again, putting words into my mouth. I never suspected such a thing, though I did feel I may have been stepping on someone's toes from Kyuusaku's reaction.

Quote:
It also doesn’t help your case, when your trying to sell people on this, when you don’t even understands the latency/speed rating for chips?!?

This just made me laugh. Especially when Kyuusaku even made the mistake of thinking 1Mx4 meant 512k. Also, I know enough to replace dead ICs with my rework station thanks. And for the last time, this wasn't a sales pitch, just trying to get some use out of those chips before I consign them to the circular file. Did you notice how low my price was? Maybe you all did which is why we are having this discussion.

Look, how about this, whoever mods this board just lock/delete this thread and we'll forget it ever happened.

I guess being nice really doesn't pay off too much these days. Ho hum.

-Joel
Hisoka_Ryodan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why this turned into what it did. Xenepp offered help, and said what he had to say about how he would do it. It seems like people are accussing him of many things that where not said. Regardless of how big or small of a problem these DRAM's are, you said there is a 1% chance of them failing, right? That means it IS possible for this to happen, correct? And if it did happen to some1, wouldn't it be great if somebody offered help to fix it? I don't see what the big deal is. Thank you Xenepp for your offer to help those with DRAM problems.
DoctorBackup

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenepp wrote:
As I did with my recently acquired Supercom, I used a fiberglass pencil to remove all the corrosion, checked for continuity and jumpered any traces which had been eaten away. I also replaced any components in that path for good measure. If a CPLD or any custom chip has been corroded it's the end of the line for that board, but mainly, theses boards can be cleaned up quite effectively.

-Joel

Thanks for the info. I have a lot of copiers and fortunately none of mine have had any batteries leak (atleast as of about a year ago.) Eventually I would like to convert them to a CR2032 or some other mod.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everyone said, I'm just stating facts. One of these facts is that most electronic enthusiasts don't know the basics and I'll be the first to admit that there is always much for anyone to learn. I'm not calling you or anyone an idiot and I'm sorry if you were offended by the explanation, but it appeared necessary since you were comparing DRAM to ROM speeds while ignoring the address multiplexing logic I was talking about in the other thread.

Xenepp wrote:

It may seem that way, but that's not my objective, honestly I'm not here to help people, I'm here because I'm addicted to the internet and if I can say something nobody else has or will, I usually do.

Here's why I think you offering replacing people's DRAM is a bad idea:
because customers will expect a fix which you aren't likely to deliver and they won't know better. I had a problem with you saying to CrackLtd that replacing the board will "most likely" fix the unit's problem. I'm maybe 75% sure his problem is not even related to RAM, and within that 25% chance, I'm maybe 95% sure it's not due to dead RAM. That makes me 98% sure that you replacing his RAM will not solve anything.

Let me say that I think you selling replacement DRAM boards is a very good idea however.

Quote:

This mean the ram is 1,048,576 WORDS (1M) x 4BIT CMOS Dynamic RAM. The rest are varient of this chip and have different access times.
If you do the math, 1048576 words * 4 bits = 4194304 bits. 4194304 bits / 8 = 524288 bytes. 524288 bytes / 1024 = 512 kibibytes. 512 kibibytes / 128 = 4 megabits. If you need proof of this, check an early FFE/CCL copier's RAM and divide that by the number of chips on the DRAM board. You are confusing a 4-bit word with an 8-bit byte.

Quote:

Also keep in mind that I have a number of old backup units to test dead cards and restored cards on.
I will if you keep in mind that I've had dozens of broken backup units and I can't think of one with damaged RAM ;)
Xenepp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had a problem with you saying to CrackLtd that replacing the board will "most likely" fix the unit's problem

Ah, I think we have stumbled upon the problem now. I think you need to re-read that section again.

CrackLTD described a faulty battery that had damaged his unit, he asked me if I could fix that, to which I responded "most likely". This is because in my original post, I stated I could rectify this problem for others who did not wish to do so themselves. I didn't indicate (at least intentionally) that DRAM had anything to do with that. I think the internet addict needs to use some eye drops Razz

Quote:
If you do the math, 1048576 words * 4 bits = 4194304 bits. 4194304 bits / 8 = 524288 bytes. 524288 bytes / 1024 = 512 kibibytes. 512 kibibytes / 128 = 4 megabits. If you need proof of this, check an early FFE/CCL copier's RAM and divide that by the number of chips on the DRAM board. You are confusing a 4-bit word with an 8-bit byte.

This is the point where I'm lost. I'm still trying t get my head round this. Basic logic I can just about grasp, but math has always held me back. I gleaned that directly from the IC's datasheet. Whatever the size/configuration, it's what CCL/FFE used in the first place.

Quote:
Let me say that I think you selling replacement DRAM boards is a very good idea however.

Odd considering your last statement Smile But if you think it's a good idea, we'll see if others are interested. I'd like one for my Supercom only since I have had to jumper a few traces due to.. battery damage Smile I need to order a minimum of about 12 though with my PCB supplier. If 11 people need them I'll go ahead and do it.

-Joel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> User Buy/Sell, and Request stuff here All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: