ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multicart Boot Loader

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> SNES Software/Hardware Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Multicart Boot Loader Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm building an own snes cart with a Flash 29f032 and now I'm looking forward to create a fancy multi boot screen similar to that one of the super flash cart from you guys here or the 'super x in 1' carts.

any idea how I can write a small boot splash (source samples?) with the possibility to chose the roms on the flash 29f032? do I have to modifiy the roms to let them know to start from a new address or is it at the end just

Code:
copy loader.bin + rom1.smc + rom2.smc multirom.bin

thanks for help here or PM

cheers,
tak
MrCheese

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am being thick but you want people at ToToTEK to assist you in creating a competative product to one they sell?!?
tak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, good point. but isnt it here about homebrew and development?

it's just a hobby and not commercial stuff, so please make the difference Smile

EDIT: btw, I own already a flashcart from tototek
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your cart have bankswitching? This is key to multiple games.

If you just do: menu.bin + game1.bin + game2.bin multigame.bin, that will make no sense unless you disassemble and relocate all of a game's data and code to work for it's new address in the ROM. The only way this works otherwise is if the menu code can detect the game data, and through bankswitching put it back into the right address (such as GB copiers), or detect the games and just use a pointer to access the memory (such as emulators).

Multicart and flashcarts normally use bankswitching so they don't need to literally spend days or weeks relocating each game, but instead just write to a register which swaps which window of memory is active. Official #-in-1 game carts such as the Sega Genesis 6-pak however relocate games so that they don't need bankswitching hardware and also because Sega wouldn't have a hard time getting the game's source code to relocate things faster.

Are you sure you're even ready to make such a device? To make a SNES flashcart that can play more than one type of game, you'll need at least LoROM and HiROM support, LoROM/HiROM SRAM support and SRAM limiting, it's a lot more complicated than just wiring a flashROM into a cart.
tak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:

ahh I see, that's the reason why I like this forum. Always pointing to the correct direction!

Quote:

Are you sure you're even ready to make such a device? To make a SNES flashcart that can play more than one type of game, you'll need at least LoROM and HiROM support, LoROM/HiROM SRAM support and SRAM limiting, it's a lot more complicated than just wiring a flashROM into a cart.

yes sir, sure. since this is not a commercial project and just a nice hobby for homebrew stuff (I did a lot of fancy things on the good old Amiga and GBA, SW and HW). I know that it means more than just solder a flash to the cart. My idea is to start with a simple LoROM one and if it works, I will create a second one just for HiROM. No MixMode device, that's too much Smile

= private fun / homebrew

thanks for your input, I appreciate it a lot
marvinsaint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tak wrote:
kyuusaku wrote:

ahh I see, that's the reason why I like this forum. Always pointing to the correct direction!

Quote:

yes sir, sure. since this is not a commercial project and just a nice hobby for homebrew stuff (I did a lot of fancy things on the good old Amiga and GBA, SW and HW). I know that it means more than just solder a flash to the cart. My idea is to start with a simple LoROM one and if it works, I will create a second one just for HiROM. No MixMode device, that's too much Smile

= private fun / homebrew

thanks for your input, I appreciate it a lot

Yes m y friend,i have the same idea,I'm building cartrigdes with flahs memorys and it's more funny.So the cartridge lorom is to easy because all size of roms are smaller and don't have any problem.In cart hirom i ecountered a problem,some rom with 24mbits and 32 mbits aren't working.The source of problem is,the cartridge original have two mask roms,and not use A21.A21 its used in decode 74LS139 or in 74LS00 ( NOR IC ).So the game keep in screen with logo like TAKARA or CAPCOM.Some games like DONKEY KONG 2 and 3 have one mask rom and keep all ok.About multi menu,i tryind find a rom with multi game and substitute all games for others using a HEX editor for a test.Try this.If you want chat with me about experience add my msn: marvinsaint@msn.com . I'm brazilian people and so are fuse...hahaha.Thks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> SNES Software/Hardware Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: