ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats a good big screen for retro and nextgen gaming?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrackLtd

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Whats a good big screen for retro and nextgen gaming? Reply with quote

Hi, i want to buy a new screen for my consoles. So, they are retro like Snes, PC-Engine and Genesis and NextGen like Xbox360 and PS3. Anyone of you have a good suggestion? I even don't know if i should go LCD or Plasma, HDReady or FullHD. The size should be around 42". Is there anything i should take care of or any point i should know before buying?

------------------------------------
#ToToTEK Channel on EFNet
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would go with a DLP instead of a "flatscreen" for durability and to get a trusted Japanese maker instead of a Chinese or Korean rebadged cheapo TV. If you're going HDTV go "Full HD"! Make sure it can handle 1080p, has multiple HDMI, and make sure it's native resolution is 1080 lines since there's no point in having 1080p support if your set has to scale it down to 768 lines. For gaming it should have 480/576p and 720p support over YPbPr inputs! It should also have SCART or at least VGA RGB input that accepts 480i video for your retro games unless you play via S-video or composite, in that case you should get one that supports NTSC/PAL at both 50/60hz.

There won't be a good HDTV for retro gaming though until the second generation of OLED TVs, possibly 10 years from now. Right now the only way is to find a HD CRT which have been out of manufacture for 4 yearsor look at professional broadcast monitors, but obviously they don't come in 42". If you want your games to look right, you simply need a 4:3 480i/480p CRT for retro up through Gamecube and a separate 16:9 720p/1080p for Xbox through PS3.
io

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With LCD or plasma you won't be able to use light guns as Menacer, SuperScope, Zapper, Light Phaser...
It will be possible (I don't know if it will work for any light gun) by adding a special device that I don't remember the name.
missyrelm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for one that can play both PAL 50hz/NTSC 60hz.
But then again, I like import games and systems.
Jagasian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a good video capture device? Is there a good video capture device for PC's that is good for retro gaming?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: