ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Wildcard DX2 tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Super Wildcard DX2 tips Reply with quote

Been working with the Super Wildcard DX2 lately since in my opinion, is the best SNES copier. Here are some tips that I have learned from others and myself

1. Mr Liu @ FFE still sells SWC DX2's and Disk duals so buy one from him.
See my post here:

http://www.tototek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1720

2. Get a Compact Flash to IDE adaptor and use that instead of a hard drive. Trust me, it works much better and is much easier, especially if you have a compact flash card reader in your PC.

3. Get a 2gb or smaller compact flash card. I personally fit every USA game (with the exception of games with special chips such as Star Fox, Doom, Super Mario RPG, Star Ocean, etc) on a 2gb card and I even included some translations, Japanese and patched PAL games (totalling under 1GB so even a 1GB card will work in this case, yet 2gb is recommended and is the maximum size the Disk Dual will allow you to use. It MUST be formatted for FAT (not FAT32)

4. MANY (seems that MOST) games from the GoodSNES set (seems this is the obvious alternative since Art of the Game CD set is practically extinct) will not work on the SWC DX2, so use ucon64 to convert them to SWC format. See my post below for batch converting many ROMS to SWC format (instead of doing one by one):

http://www.tototek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2039

5. Due to FAT file limitations, you can only have about 150 or so files on the root directory of compact flash (or whatever disk), so what I did (I have about 718 total files on my compact flash) was create folders and put about 150 files in each, as well as name the folders (#-D, E-L, M-Q, R-S, S-Z).

6. Speaking of folders, it may be wise to create another folder your SRAM saves. The way I have my folders set up (6 of them total), all folders show up on the same page of the root directory of my CF card

7. Because of the SWC DX2's inability to properly display long filenames due to the 8.3 DOS filename limitation, what I did (after I converted the ROMS to SWC and before moving them to my CF card), what I did (and I did this with my evermind megacart/CD-R's) was use a file renaming tool (File Renamer Pro) to add numbers in front of each ROM (in three digit format - example, 001 3 ninjas kickback.swc, 002 7th Saga.swc, 003 2020 Super Baseball.swc, etc...), then used Karen's Directory Printer to output a text file of the directory of SNES roms. From there I printed out that list and now I know what ROM is what because of the numbers in front rather than trying to decipher the contracted long file names.

Any other suggestions, let me know!
Jagasian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the CF recommendation. CF cards are inexpensive, max capacity for the DX2 (2GB), widely available, solid state, silent!!!, and power efficient... just like the SNES itself. I also recommend using a CF-to-IDE drive bay slot that lets you easily insert and remove CF cards.

Regarding the file name restrictions. Ucon64 has an option to rename SNES games to an 8.3 format, which uses pretty good names. The only drawback that it has is that it uses a ".SWC" extension, which waists 3 characters considering that how the DX2 displays ROM file names. For example, ucon64 renames "Final Fantasy III.swc" to something like "ff3.swc", but on the DX2 that shows up as "FF3SWC". Anyway, it is another option to consider for dealing with the 8.3 limitation of the DX2. Not perfect, but it is useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: