ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game Gear to TV adapter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbudrick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Game Gear to TV adapter Reply with quote

Yes, I know many say this is not possible, but it obviously is:

http://geocities.com/vjkemp/sega/ggtv.htm

I worked on this with Victor for quite a while and this is as far as we got. Without a dev unit to reverse engineer, we didn't get so far.

I think it would be an incredible product.

-Rob
timofonic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice idea! I like the possibility of 1:1 aspect ratio and PAL/NTSC! Smile
rbudrick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: f Reply with quote

IMO, it's probably the most asked for item for GG developers...though most attempts fail. I'veonly met a couple guys with that Dev GG. If anyone has one or know someone who has one, PM me. I'll pay a LOT of money for one.

-Rob
Suppafly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once saw this adapter in an EGM article back in the early 90`s. The article said that sega used that modded game gear to display game gear games on a tv screen. The image only filled half of the screen, and they showed a pic of ax battler.....i think it included a pic of the mod too
rbudrick

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: x Reply with quote

Yep,

It's on that link I posted.

-Rob
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive, I hope some day the project will be comparable to Sega's original unit. I knew someone would attempt this project some day :)
rbudrick

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: w Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I will pick this project up again if someone can find me one of those dev units...I've only met a couple people out there with them and they are reluctant to part with them. I will pay quite well for one.

However, there is enough material there to reverse engineer it based on the info on that link. If one can get a hold of that chip in the dev unit, which is found in some Sega System 24 arcade boards, then it would be (I imagine) not too hard to figure out. I had no luck there, but if we pool some resources...

-Rob
Tongueman

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, folks. I've also done the video mod (http://www.spini2k.com/chrisc/segahacking/gamegearvideo.html) and the video output is very nice on a TV, albeit in B&W.

I think it would not be too difficult for someone experienced in engineering to make up a converter for the GG's video signal to produce RGB video, even without knowing how that SEGA decoder worked. The encoding seems quite simple, but it would still need some circuitry to convert it to RGB or a nice colour composite signal.

The 4 video pins (plus composite sync) output a greyscale video image with RGB video encoded. For each "pixel" of the GG image, there are actually 3 pixels (but since this is an analogue video output, 3 levels) of information being passed through the video output. These 3 levels correspond to red, green, and blue values for the pixel if it were in colour. Imagine, if you will, that the GG's horizontal resolution is 256 lines (but only 160 are within the active display area for GG games). The video output of the GG is thus about 768 lines, with R,G, and B values interleaved. (This is just my guess.)

I can use the game Mappy as an example. In the game, there are doors which flash very quickly between bright red, green, and blue colours. When this game is displayed on a TV, the door doesn't flash but move horizontally, very minutely.

Surely, some circuitry that is timed to the horizontal clock (Hsync) can be made to take each of these lines, and combine the triplets into a colour composite signal, or output them as RGB levels? I have no EE experience, but with the above information it can be done. I'd love to have a colour output for my GG as much as everyone. Smile
rbudrick

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: s Reply with quote

For anyone who attempts this, please note that in Master System mode, the screen is in color, only it is a bit messed up, sometimes crossing the red, green and blue colors...I dunno, I couldn't figure it out...

-Rob
g8crapachino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Sega Game-Gear to Sega Genesis/Mega adaptor?
rbudrick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: d Reply with quote

g8crapachino, you should really post a new topic on that in order to keep on subject. Very Happy

-Rob
g8crapachino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really isn't that far off topic. Follow the logic...You want to play GG games on a TV --> The GG is basically an upgraded and portable version of the Master System --> The Genesis plugs into a TV --> There is already an adaptor to play Master System games on a Genesis.

Therefore, rather then hacking up a Game Gear just to output to a Television, why not an adaptor to play Game Gear games on a Genesis?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> New Product idea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: