ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z64:are different boot carts needed for different saves?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Z64:are different boot carts needed for different saves? Reply with quote

I know the V64 needs certain kinds of carts for certain kinds of save data (16kb eeprom, SRAM, Flash RAM, and 4kb eeprom) inserted into it, but my question is, does the Z64 have this requirement?

I currently have Super Mario 64 inserted into my Z64 as the boot cart. I have Star Wars Episode 1 Racer (16kb eeprom), Mario Golf (SRAM), and Command + Conquer (Flash RAM). Do those carts need to be inserted into the Z64 for those respective save types?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had heard the Z64 was better for saving because it was easier to just copy the save file onto the zip disk after playing. But I don't know, it would have been best to ask whoever you bought it from. Otherwise you'll have to keep asking around to find someone that has one or had one.
cdiablo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they do. luckily a lot of games had save hacks to convert the 16kb eeprom to sram so 95% of games work with regular sram carts. I think only like 5 games use flashram and about 5 use 16kb(most of which suck tho Mario Party 3 uses it).

Shitty thing is that you cannot copy flashram or 16kb to the zip/CF or whatever media you have in the drive. You can only save one game on the cart. For example you can save Mario Party 3 on a SW:Racer cart but if you play another game that uses 16kb eeprom and save the MP3 save dissapears. Same goes for flashram.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdiablo wrote:
Yes they do. luckily a lot of games had save hacks to convert the 16kb eeprom to sram so 95% of games work with regular sram carts. I think only like 5 games use flashram and about 5 use 16kb(most of which suck tho Mario Party 3 uses it).

Shitty thing is that you cannot copy flashram or 16kb to the zip/CF or whatever media you have in the drive. You can only save one game on the cart. For example you can save Mario Party 3 on a SW:Racer cart but if you play another game that uses 16kb eeprom and save the MP3 save dissapears. Same goes for flashram.

I guess my real question is does a different boot cart need to be inserted for each save type?
cdiablo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="eastbayarb"][quote="cdiablo"]Yes they do. luckily a lot of games had save hacks to convert the 16kb eeprom to sram so 95% of games work with regular sram carts. I think only like 5 games use flashram and about 5 use 16kb(most of which suck tho Mario Party 3 uses it).

Shitty thing is that you cannot copy flashram or 16kb to the zip/CF or whatever media you have in the drive. You can only save one game on the cart. For example you can save Mario Party 3 on a SW:Racer cart but if you play another game that uses 16kb eeprom and save the MP3 save dissapears. Same goes for flashram.[/quote]

I guess my real question is does a different boot cart need to be inserted for each save type?[/quote]

To save, yes, to play no.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdiablo,

acording to elitendo.com's faq for N64 (http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/www.elitendo.com/n64/usa_boot_save_faq.html)

Z64 supports saving of SRAM to the zip disk (in my case, compact flash cart). I guess as far as 16kb eeprom and flashram, you can back saves up to a PC with a v64 jr or cd64
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: