ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PCE-PRO 32M Flash Cartridge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> PCE-PRO Flash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonk

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: PCE-PRO 32M Flash Cartridge Reply with quote

Hello,

I received my PCE-PRO 32M Flash Cartridge a couple of weeks ago from Tototek, and much to my dismay, it did not work once I took it out of the box. In fact, I haven't been able to get it to work at all. Tomy is overworked, so he suggested I use this forum to try and get the software up and running. All I want to do as a first step is to copy a PCE file from my computer system to the flash card. There are no step-by-step instructions on Tototek's web site, and since I know my way around a machine, I followed my nose and created these steps:

1) Ensure the flash card is switched to the off position.
2) Turn on computer system and wait for OS to load.
3) Attach DB25 straight printer cable to the flash cartridge.
4) Attach the USB cable to the card.
5) Switch the flash card on.
6) Start the DreamWriter software.
7) Select a ROM and attempt to move it onto the cartridge by clicking the appropriate icon or double-clicking the list box entry.

Not exactly rocket science, but I'm guessing those are the steps to follow. Something horrible has obviously gone wrong; otherwise, it should work. So, here are the variations I have tried in an attempt to get the steps above to work:

1) Used a variety of Microsoft Windows OSs: Windows 95 (USB support), Windows 98 (SE) and Windows XP.
2) Changed the settings for the parallel port within the BIOS to an EPP connection (v1.7 and v1.9).
3) USB 1.1 and 2.0 hardware interfaces.
4) DreamWriter v1.0 and v1.1 for the PCE.
5) Two different machines: an AMD 600 and an Intel 133 system.
6) Two different "straight" printer cables.
7) Two different USB cables.

In every case, the DreamWriter software responds with the message in a dialog box "Not enough free space to fix this game." The wording is a little confusing, but I took it to mean "Not enough free space on the flash cartridge." This is also confusing because I haven't installed anything on the cartridge since it arrived in the mail. I spoke with Tomy and he said that he usually puts some data on the card before shipping it out, but the DreamWriter software does not display anything within the right hand list box. In fact, the software reports in the lower right hand corner that there is "0Mb (0KB) Size Free."

Tomy mentioned something about erasing the cartridge, but he didn't say how. Anyone know what he means?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Leo:

If you are reading this post, Tomy told me that you are responsible for the DreamWriter software. I am a computer programmer as well, so maybe we could help each other out? Contact me via e-mail if you want to discuss this point further (michaelcgale AT hotmail DOT com).

Many thanks,
Michael

DjoeN

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very simple:

if it say's 0mb free, then your computer does not recognise your pc-engine flashcard.

mine workes flawless, (i have to convert us games with ucon64 to jap header)

My pc configuration:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
1GB memory (samsung)
LPT = ECP
Windows XP Pro SP1
Latest Dreamwriter
SIS USB 2.0 (5V)
MSI motherboard
my lpt is connected to a switch.

4 device switch
1. printer
2. neo-geo pocket linker
3. GB-X Changer
4. Lpt cable for all Tototek Flashkits (Megadrive + 32x support / Master system / Game Gear / Pc-Engine)

All works perfect.
but if it says 0mb free, your pc does not recognise it, try another pc (mobo, or try installing an extra lpt port)
bonk

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Doubting Thomas... Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, DjoeN.

I must disagree with your analysis, however. No computer can simply "recognize" the device as you're suggesting because the device has no drivers and does not follow an interface specification (it only uses the USB interface for power.) Therefore, it must be a hardware/software incompatibility somewhere in the communication chain.

I too am using Windows XP Professional SP1. I will verify the ports are working as expected and configure my BIOS to use ECP for my parallel port (I really don't think this should make a difference, though.)

Thanks for your help.

Michael

DragonBoy

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the same problem with my cards! I have md-pro, sms-pro and pce-pro and the dream programs doesn't want to recognise the cards no matter if I change the settings inside the bios (from normal to ecp, to ecp+tcp etc etc). So the only thing i could do until now was going to my friends computer that happens to work and load new games... Now he reintalled windows and the new setup doesn't recognise the cards!!! So if there is a solution to this problem I would also be very happy! I know that my cards work great... but the software is something that needs to be tweeked a bit...
bonk

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: The quest continues... Reply with quote

Ok, I've had some time recently to play around more with my machines and the PCE-PRO Flash Cart. The things I have tried in this round are the following:

1) Verified the printer port is working with other devices.
2) Verified the "straight" printer cable is working with other devices.
3) Tried to use the DreamWriter(PCE) software on a third computer; still no luck.

So to sum up, I am quickly running out of hardware to use with this device, and I have exhausted all the alternatives I can dream up. The only other alternative is to debug the DreamWriter(PCE) software, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen either.

Can someone please verify if the steps I am using to establish communication are correct?

Michael

dbjh

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: The quest continues... Reply with quote

bonk wrote:
The only other alternative is to debug the DreamWriter(PCE) software, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen either.

I suggest to debug the I/O driver/component DreamWriter is using. The MD-PRO DreamWriter seems to have this problem too. Some people who were unable to get DreamWriter to work, did manage to get uCON64 to work. DreamWriter is written in Delphi, uCON64 in C. uCON64 contains the same code as DreamWriter, but translated to C of course. However, I can't imagine the used language would be the cause. The only major difference I can think of is the I/O "component". It would be nice if you verified this is the cause. If it is the cause Leo could perhaps fix DreamWriter. BTW currently uCON64 only supports the MD-PRO. It will support the SMS-PRO, GG-PRO and PCE-PRO in the next release. I received the transfer code from Leo, but I would like to know one thing about multi-game files (again), before adding the transfer code. Leo, where art thou?
bonk

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I suggest to debug the I/O driver/component DreamWriter is using.

Where can I find this I/O driver? Is it publicly available? Or are you referring to the one programmed by the author of DreamWriter?

Quote:
However, I can't imagine the used language would be the cause.

I agree. However, if the libraries use by the Delphi compiler aren't up to par or they have defects in them, then it could be an issue. Having never used Delphi in this context before, I can't say how reliable their software is for this task.

Quote:
It would be nice if you verified this is the cause.

I'm not sure how I can do that without the source code for DreamWriter, and I'm certainly not going to do any machine level debugging or tracing; at least, not until I have more details about the mechanisms being used. Perhaps you could send me the code you received for integration? Or make it available through the CVS repository on ucon64.sourceforge.net?

dbjh, just out of curiosity, what CPU are you using?
[/quote]

bonk

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Just out of curiousity... Reply with quote

DragonBoy wrote:
I also have the same problem with my cards! I have md-pro, sms-pro and pce-pro and the dream programs doesn't want to recognise the cards no matter if I change the settings inside the bios (from normal to ecp, to ecp+tcp etc etc). So the only thing i could do until now was going to my friends computer that happens to work and load new games... Now he reintalled windows and the new setup doesn't recognise the cards!!! So if there is a solution to this problem I would also be very happy! I know that my cards work great... but the software is something that needs to be tweeked a bit...

What was your friend's PC configuration before it stopped working? Was it a fast machine? What OS was he/she using? Did she/he have any service packs installed? If so, which ones?

bonk

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Machine Configurations Reply with quote

Has anyone else managed to get the PCE-PRO 32M Flash Cartridge to work with a computer? Could you please post your machine configuration (as detailed as you can) so that we can try to debug the problem? You can omit information concerning the amount of RAM, motherboard, hard drive, monitor, and video card as I don't think they are relevant to the problem.

I would like to see information like:

CPU Clock Speed?
Specific Windows version?
Is your OS an OEM version?
Service Packs?
Parallel port settings?
USB drivers and version?

Actually, sending stats generated by Karen's free utility called "Computer Profiler" would be ideal:

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptprofiler.asp

Also, could someone post the steps you use to copy a ROM from your computer to the device? Maybe we're missing something here.

bonk

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Ok... Reply with quote

So, am I to understand that no one has this device working? Has anyone written a small program to "ping" the device?
dbjh

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ok... Reply with quote

Patience is a virtue. I am in the process of integrating the code in uCON64. When I'm done I will reply to your other post.
bonk

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience, I know the feeling well, as I have been patiently trying to get this device to work for over a month. I'm sorry if I sounded impatient, but it was really frustration you were reading, more than anything else. Smile If there is anything I can do to help, then just let me know. Until then, I will continue drinking beer while patiently awaiting your post.

If anyone else wants to post some information in the mean time, that would be great.

dbjh

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonk wrote:
Quote:
I suggest to debug the I/O driver/component DreamWriter is using.

Where can I find this I/O driver?

In Program Files\TOTOTEK\DreamWriter(PCE)\. It's the file zlportio.sys.

bonk wrote:
Is it publicly available? Or are you referring to the one programmed by the author of DreamWriter?

AFAIK Leo programmed DreamWriter. I don't know if he is the author of zlportio.sys.

bonk wrote:
Quote:
However, I can't imagine the used language would be the cause.

I agree. However, if the libraries use by the Delphi compiler aren't up to par or they have defects in them, then it could be an issue. Having never used Delphi in this context before, I can't say how reliable their software is for this task.

Communicating with the ToToTEK devices is relatively simple. I think one can say that ToToTEK's software is reliable. I've seen some parts of DreamWriter -- the problem has to happen outside DreamWriter itself.

bonk wrote:
Quote:
It would be nice if you verified this is the cause.

I'm not sure how I can do that without the source code for DreamWriter, and I'm certainly not going to do any machine level debugging or tracing; at least, not until I have more details about the mechanisms being used. Perhaps you could send me the code you received for integration? Or make it available through the CVS repository on ucon64.sourceforge.net?

I've spent an obscene amount of time to get the code into uCON64 as soon as possible. It's in CVS now. Anonymous CVS lags a bit behind compared to developer CVS. You should be able to get the code in a couple of hours.

bonk wrote:
dbjh, just out of curiosity, what CPU are you using?

I don't have any ToToTEK device, so it doesn't really matter.

You should be able to compile uCON64 without problems. I checked if the code compiles under Windows and it does (DJGPP/Cygwin/VC++ (6)/MinGW). Just follow the instructions in the answer to question 3 of the FAQ. Don't forget to read how to install an I/O driver. I strongly suggest to use io.dll.
I'm curious if it will work for you. If it does, I would like to know a few things.
segabob

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: pc pro no go Reply with quote

It came with no instructions.

The dreamwriter program works great it will flash the games and verify them.
but when i take the card to the turbo express i get nothing.
I have tried the region code checked.still nothing.
Flashed the card with the switch OFF tried it with switch on.still nothing.
But it will not play anygame on it.
Is it a piece of trash or not.

The MD-PRO 64M flash Card I got had games on it and it worked> I can flash game on it play them but it won't save the games
Do they ship the Pce flash card with game on it for it did not have anything on it >??

The Port is set right
the Usb is proper.
The Program works
The card takes the games I can read and save the card back to the PC with no problem

so whats wrong.

Sice the card has no battery do i put in in the Express s Evil or Very Mad till hooked up to computer or does it go in unpluged card only.
any Info would be help.
No instructions don't help any.
DragonBoy

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: pc pro no go Reply with quote

segabob wrote:
It came with no instructions.

The dreamwriter program works great it will flash the games and verify them.
but when i take the card to the turbo express i get nothing.
I have tried the region code checked.still nothing.
Flashed the card with the switch OFF tried it with switch on.still nothing.
But it will not play anygame on it.
Is it a piece of trash or not.

The MD-PRO 64M flash Card I got had games on it and it worked> I can flash game on it play them but it won't save the games
Do they ship the Pce flash card with game on it for it did not have anything on it >??

The Port is set right
the Usb is proper.
The Program works
The card takes the games I can read and save the card back to the PC with no problem

so whats wrong.

Sice the card has no battery do i put in in the Express s Evil or Very Mad till hooked up to computer or does it go in unpluged card only.
any Info would be help.
No instructions don't help any.

The Turbo Express is the US version og pc engine GT, Therefore the PCE-PRO won't play with the turbo express cause simply... its a US PC ENGINE! PCE-PRO works only on japanese machines (PC ENGINE, DUO, GT). I have a japanese GT, a japanese duo and a US turbo express. The card works fine on the japanese ones but not on the turbo express! To make it work, you'll have to mod the machine or buy a jap>us adapter (quote rare... I couldn't find one Sad )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> PCE-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: