ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Load games onto MD/SMS/SNES/GG/PCE flashcarts via Playstion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Load games onto MD/SMS/SNES/GG/PCE flashcarts via Playstion Reply with quote

I was thinking of a product like this:

http://defaced.co.uk/bung/porducts/Multi%20Xchanger.htm

the bung multi x-changer connects to the back of a playstation (older style with the parallel port) and lets you transfer games from the playstation's CD drive to a V64jr via parallel cable.

It would be great to have a device like this that utilizes the Playstation's CD drive and connects to the tototek MD/SMS/SNES/GG/PCE programmer/flashcarts via parallel port.
Hisoka_Ryodan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a pretty cool product, id buy one if I still had my v64jr.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why a Playstation? Playstation CDROMs are slower than a PC parallel port BTW. Wouldn't it be more practical to use an ATAPI CDROM or a USB thumb drive these days? Also it's not really possible to find the PS connector anymore.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku,

the point is eliminating the need for a PC just like the v64jr/multi xchanger combo. There are so manyh people with PCs that have no parallel port or have ones with XP that have probs. And playstation 1's are so cheap these days (i got mine for 15 dollars recently). A device like this could plug into the back of a psx and connect to the tototek programers/flash carts and you load roms to them with an menu driven screen running on the psx.
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather see a USB programmer. Then you could hook it to a PC, XBox, 360, PS2, PS3, Mac, etc.
madman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want someone to develop a product for an end of life system so that people can load ROMs on flashcarts to play on even older systems?

A USB->Parallel adapter w/modified uCON software would be a much better solution and much more feasible.
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They already made a product to do such a task, but with the parallel port. If they were willing to do that, perhaps they'd be willing to make an updated product. I'd buy another programmer just to have one that worked with USB. I have seen comments from devs on SpritesMind that they'd buy one if it were USB since their computers don't have a parallel port (many new computer no longer have a parallel port since it's an obsolete port no longer used by anything).

What I'd REALLY love to see is a cart that had a Cyclone FPGA, an SODIMM socket (you know, laptop memory), a battery to hold the ram contents, an SD card socket, and a USB port. Such a thing would be VERY useful. You could use it as standard RAM at the cart location; it could act like ROM at the cart location; it could act as SRAM; the FPGA could be programmed to emulate the SVP; you could load/store files from/to the SD card (which would be even better than having the SEGA CD); and you could program it across USB.

I've been making a parts list for such a thing as I've designed boards before (full size cards even). Even buying the parts from DigiKey isn't THAT expensive... less than an MD-Pro. The only "expensive" part is the circuit board, and even that isn't too bad ($169 for two 9 square inch four layer boards from PCBExpress). Just been too busy to layout the board yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> New Product idea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: