ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest 2.8 BIOS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Latest 2.8 BIOS? Reply with quote

I've made an interesting discovery today when I dug into an old archive. I found a SWC 2.8CC bios not present in GoodSNES 2.04.

I mapped the 16KB original rom to a 64KB (6000-7FFF and E000-FFFF) to get it to run on an emulator.
Apparently it's just a lame text change from a distributor but if someone is keen to analyze the file, here it is.

SWC-SPE.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.95 KB
 Viewed:  3116 Time(s)

SWC-SPE.jpg

SWC-SPE.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SWC-SPE.zip
 Filesize:  11 KB
 Downloaded:  371 Time(s)

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While at it I did the same thing with another file of the archive and it was even more suprising. This one seems to be the bios of the WildCard 2 aka a pro fighter clone made in our beloved Republic Of China... Razz

I'll keep digging...

SWC-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.21 KB
 Viewed:  3112 Time(s)

SWC-2.jpg

SWC-2.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SWC-2.zip
 Filesize:  9.66 KB
 Downloaded:  358 Time(s)

SpooNMan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:
While at it I did the same thing with another file of the archive and it was even more suprising. This one seems to be the bios of the WildCard 2 aka a pro fighter clone made in our beloved Republic Of China... Razz

I'll keep digging...

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

By any chance is there a way to get the SWC DX or DX2 rom working in an emulator? I'd like to add direct snapshots to my SWC/SMC webpage.

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpooNMan wrote:

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

By any chance is there a way to get the SWC DX or DX2 rom working in an emulator? I'd like to add direct snapshots to my SWC/SMC webpage.

Well, these ones were quite easy as I just compared with some already working bios dumps but I had confirmation from kuyuusaku a while ago that newer copiers would be a lot more complicated to get emulated. They're maybe calling proprietary functions prior to initialize the GUI

I'll see if I can extract some graphic material.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNES copiers only contain a few registers so the BIOSes probably wouldn't be too hard to hack just for the purpose of getting screenshots. It would take considerable time and skill though with little payoff in my opinion. I'd much sooner just use a capture card for this purpose... In a way it's more true to form as most emulator RGB components are not weighed correctly and composite interference more closely simulates the 90s CRT experience.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
composite interference more closely simulates the 90s CRT experience.

Not if you've been raised on RGB. I remember we used to say Never Twice the Same Colour about composite Razz

Actually there are plenty of Bioses we won't be able to capture since some of these devices are hard to find.

BTW I found the original Hirom mod made by Aragorn with schematics+loader.
More on this topic:
http://www.tototek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2331
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:
kyuusaku wrote:
composite interference more closely simulates the 90s CRT experience.

Not if you've been raised on RGB. I remember we used to say Never Twice the Same Colour about composite Razz

Actually there are plenty of Bioses we won't be able to capture since some of these devices are hard to find.

BTW I found the original Hirom mod made by Aragorn with schematics+loader.
More on this topic:
http://www.tototek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2331

I was pretty happy with playing the SNES through Svideo on my old CRT, but as I expected it looked terrible my new HDTV (LCD)..

Being in the US I have limited options when it comes to RGB. I am thinking about buying an SCART cable and SCART to component adapter. I heard it gets rid of the bad artifacting and interlacing that HDTV's add via their internal analog to digital converters.

Also, you can emulate NTSC composite, svideo, rf noise & interference with the NTSC filter on many emulators. I sometimes play the NES emulator with that because it reminds me of when I was a kid playing on an old TV through RF cables Razz

kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:
Not if you've been raised on RGB. I remember we used to say Never Twice the Same Colour about composite :P

Even if you were raised on RGB, RGB doesn't look like an emulator. There was still screen curvature, a noticeable shadow mask/aperture grill, "scanlines", low pass filtering (loss of horizontal resolution), non-square pixels (the correct aspect), some degree of interference and the display was some degree out of ideal calibration.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
Mystic_Merlin wrote:

Even if you were raised on RGB, RGB doesn't look like an emulator. There was still screen curvature, a noticeable shadow mask/aperture grill, "scanlines", low pass filtering (loss of horizontal resolution), non-square pixels (the correct aspect), some degree of interference and the display was some degree out of ideal calibration.

That's right! Very Happy

What a blast from the past when I got Double Dragon on MAME running at the original 240 x 224 on my TV screen with a VGA-Scart cable + Soft15Khz. You sure can't come close to that with a computer screen. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: