ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DELL Latitude XPi CD problem with Parallel Port

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
system64

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: DELL Latitude XPi CD problem with Parallel Port Reply with quote

I bought an old DELL Latitude XPi CD for my copiers because my new computer don't have Parallel Port.

Unfortunately the DELL Latitude does not work with EPP devices. I can select in BIOS between Standard, ECP and EPP (according to BIOS it's EPP 1.9).

- Doctor V64 works fine with Standard mode.
- V64Jr does not work in EPP mode, but works in Standard mode with Elim (--software option)
- Xploder for PlayStation does not work because it requires EPP
- and so on

I already tried different BIOS versions (A08 and C02) and different operating systems (Win95, Win98) - but without success.

I don't know what's wrong. According to the BIOS and the DELL website the Latitude XPi CD supports EPP 1.9. Does anyone have similar experiences or an idea how to get it work?

btw, the Latitude has a strange BIOS, because you can access it even when you are in the operating system. I have never seen that on a normal PC.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen Compaqs that have a in-built software bios, and they are often on a hidden partition, which is a pain if you don't have a restore disk and need one. Also a pain for many copiers, from what I hear. It is quite possible that your parallel port is not actually hardware-run, but is software-run, which would pose some limitations on it, moreso than just how XP alone does a similar thing. Soft bioses and copiers rarely mix.

On top of this, laptop parallel ports suck for copiers. Way too many incompatibility issues. I keep a couple junk old laptops around because one will work with some devices, the other works with others. Also, I keep an old desktop because sometimes neither laptop will read certain devices.

-Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: