ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PCE Flash cart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Complaint or Need Help from ToToTEK
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlie

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: PCE Flash cart Reply with quote

Just received my cart. Thanks for the fast shipment!

Couple of items on DreamWriter rev 1.5:
1. The help item for the disc icon says "READ FORM MEMORY CARD"; it should say "READ FROM MEMORY CARD"

2. If some files are loaded into the cart, and the cart is unplugged, DreamWriter indicates a negative(!) number of bytes free, instead of zero.

3. I can only get the cart to boot up (on Turbo Express) if the total size of the files to be loaded is more than 5Mb. I don't know the actual limit, but it will work if I load a combination of files that hits 10Mb. I can even load the same file twice, as long as I get over 5Mb.

4. If I shut down DreamWriter after programming and removing the cart, then restart DreamWrite and re-connect the cart, DreamWriter will show 0 bytes and no files, rather than the actual number of bytes and filenames that are on the cart. Can DreamWriter be made smarter so it interrogates the cart and gets any existing data?

5. Obviously, I have gotten the cart to work, but not all ROMS. I notice that there was a post someplace in which someone listed a number of ROMS that didn't work. Is there a list of requirements that DreamWrite expects of it's roms, and/or any info on editing the non-working roms so that they will work? Or maybe even just a URL of a website that is known to have working ROMS?

Thanks
Charlie
charlie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: PCE Flash cart update Reply with quote

Update:
Checking with a hex editor, I can see that the bit-reversal issue seems to be part of the problem. I am in the process of editing the non-working proms to see if reversing the data bits will solve the problem. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I am looking forward to an updated DreamWriter.

Thanks again.
Charlie
charlie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Update #2 Reply with quote

Well, I've got some successes.
Bit reversal is definitely the cause of many of the failures I've been experiencing. I wrote my own bit reversal program that allowed me to reverse the data, while selectively choosing to either ignore the header or strip it entirely from the ROM

Also, I managed to get a single 400k file to load (which, by the way, did not need the boot menu).

It appears that the check box labeled "US region" is a bit reversal function already built into DreamWrite. If I take a working Japanese program, reverse it with my program, re-reverse it with the "US region" option, it does work (as you would expect).

The problem appears to be one of inconsistancy. One I had a documented working setup, if I loaded other programs, did many connect-disconnect operations of the cables, and many insert/removal operations into a TurboExpress, then repeated the original working setup...I did not get repeatable operation. It appears that there is some specific combination of programming steps that must be followed for maximum (and, I hope, continuous) success.

I am in the process of more fully documenting the proper procedure necessary for highest success rate. Unfortunately, this seems necessary as there appears to be no instruction manual for this item.

I am still hoping for a software upgrade in the near future.

Now, if I only had a source for the HUCard connector itself!!!

Thanks
Charlie
charlie

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Update #3 Reply with quote

At the bottom of DreamWriter, there is a statement in red:
"This program not support...", should say "This program does not support...".

Seems like the cart only likes ROMS that are on block boundries, although sometimes various loads/reloads of various ROM can make the non-block ROMS work. I've even had some non-block ROM's launch other(!) ROMS; that is, boot menu selection 4 may launch ROM 3, if the boot menu item at position 4 is a non-block.

Best repeatable programming results are obtained if the parallel port connector is only connected/disconnected when there is no power on the cart --- the USB cable must be disconnected at that time. To make it easy, parallel cable is "first on, last off"

A number of "bad" ROMS that don't work on the cart, do work on the emulator. Also, the cart appears to support both ROM's with headers, and ROM's without headers, but this still needs more investigation.

If you work within the ideosyncracies of the cart, it seems pretty robust and reliable, but, as has been mentioned in other areas, it would really benefit from an instruction manual.

Still hoping for upgraded software; still hoping to find a HUCard connector.

Charlie
madman

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a product written by someone who doesn't speak English as a first language. There is going to be poor grammar.
charlie

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true, which is why I offer that help.( as well as information on the results of my tests for connection and operation for the users/customers)

Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Complaint or Need Help from ToToTEK All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: