ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with Super UFO Pro 7 Floppy Disk Drive
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pulse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noooo.
I just connected a straight cable to the FDD and it made the usual noise directly when i put the power in, the light went on and stayed on.

But the copier just won't boot up...black screen.
I really don't know what i could've screwed up..i just took the board out to make the photos and put it back in, I did not straighten up this one pin because it really was not that bad bent and it was and still is no problem to connect the card connector to it.
Now I know the problem was the IDE cable but i can't test it. Even if I connect the old cable back and the light stays out, the copier does nothing, no matter if the power supply is in or not.

any ideas for troubleshooting for this problem (black screen?)
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe all these symptoms are due to a bad connection, it's annoying but it shouldn't be anything serious
In the case of the black screen, take off the FDD PSU, it can be a bad inserted cartridge, problem with the CIC...plug, unplug, give some more tries it should come back.

What you can try also is to put the bare PCB of the UFO on the SNES and apply a light force on it while u turn it on to make sure all the pins are in contact with your SNES' cartridge slot.

Do you have many cartridges to test with your SNES? Any of them give you a black screen?
Pulse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a bad connection sounds reasonable.
But I spent the last half hour plugging and unplugging Wink
i tried with 10 different cartridges which all work fine without the Super UFO, but they all gave me the black screen. Confused
I also opened the card connector to see if it's dirty or something but it looked okay to me.
I'm having another SNES here in an hour to try on this console.

EDIT: Just tried on the other SNES, but still the same problem.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

That's kinda odd...I don't see how you could have damaged something unscrewing the device.
I guess this other SNES is PAL too...even if it's not relevant as you already booted the UFO with a PAL cartridge, a SFC should b able to boot without it, thus letting u know if the connection problem could be from the UFO's cartridge port.

Anyway running continuity tests is the last resort now, I can't see what else to try.
Don't forget to send an email to Tomy.
Pulse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I build out the board again, cleaned it a bit and now it works again.
The FDD light is now up, even with the old IDE-cable. It does not say "No Disk", it directly freezes at "Insert Disk".
I just sent an email to Tomy.

So maybe there is something wrong with the Disks i use?
@Mystic_Merlin: Which ones do you use?
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FDD light is up all the time or only when u access the drive?

Any 2HD floppy works but anyway even with no floppy you should get the "no disk" message.

Can you test continuity between the FDD and the UFO connector on the PCB?
Pulse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The light is up all the time.

When the drive is not connected i get the "no disk" message but now the copier directly freezes when i access the drive. (the logo animation stops,...).
Even if no disk is in the drive.

But the light just goes up when the drive is connected with the IDE-cable, if not connected, it stays out, so i think the continuity should be okay there.

(I'm trying to get a multimeter from a friend though, at the moment but it'll be a few days till i get it (IF i get it Wink))
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: