ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCL CD-ROM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: CCL CD-ROM Reply with quote

Before you ask, these beautiful machines are not mine...you've seen pretty much everything I was getting was not in such a good shape...Laughing

The owner seems to have one of the nicest copiers' collection I've seen; and for the sake of science and preservation I thought I had to relay this information... Laughing Laughing Laughing

These are 2 FX-64, both with 64 M, the famous cart-db25 adapter and the even more famous CCL CD-ROM

Now that wouldn't be that really interesting if I wasn't getting a bit of info right?

Well, thanks once again to the owner, here you get an inside picture of the CD interface! He told me it uses a standard IDE drive and even swapped it for a DVD-R drive!!!

kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to finally see it and the PCB no less!
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
Glad to finally see it and the PCB no less!

Wink Wink

Well I thought if there was any useful info to get, only you would be able to figure it out!

I guess the PSU provides +5V +12V and all the logic to decipher must be in these PEEL and 16V8.

At least it's good to know it complies to the IDE standard. I'll try to get more info, let me know if there's anything special I shall ask for.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we now know the CDROM functions are built into the BIOS! Clearly the '373 latches are for writes, '245 buffers are for reads and the GALs are for glue and certainly a few embedded control registers, the parallel interface it connects to after all is very minimalistic... I believe there are only 5 output bits, one for each status signal, so the GALs must assemble bytes for the latches *and* hold the control/IDE address bits.
kazmat

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

additional pictures from me.

I think better than GDSF CD-ROM unit.

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]

11081007930976_268.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.31 KB
 Viewed:  5991 Time(s)

11081007930976_268.jpg

RIMG0057.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.63 KB

RIMG0057.jpg

RIMG0056.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.43 KB

RIMG0056.jpg

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Kaz! Ya I knew you had one of those too. Wink
I don't know what machine you're running it on but the FX-64 seems to have a BIOS v6.4, runs sounds and music when u boot up, and is able to retain more than one game in memory...As its specs are very close to the PFX2 I can only guess it's a clone but I ignore if World Com (FX-64's distributor in Thailand) did some custom mods on the bios...what is the last PFX2 bios version btw?

I also believe all these CD functions were embedded in earlier version as for my FX-32.

Regarding the CD format, as we can see from Kaz's pic, the cd-roms are probably the same as the one used on the CD 7.

Kaz, have u tried to use a DVD drive instead?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so it requires a custom cartridge too... This cart has a small CPLD so it must have a lot of logic and won't be very practical to clone.

Quote:
Regarding the CD format, as we can see from Kaz's pic, the cd-roms are probably the same as the one used on the CD 7.
They are almost certainly MODE1 CDs but those aren't GDSF images.
NorQue

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
Ah, so it requires a custom cartridge too... This cart has a small CPLD so it must have a lot of logic and won't be very practical to clone.
Damn. This a bit naive thought, but is there no chance that that's just the regular Pro Fighter Parallel Port adapter and the PCB converts IDE to Parallel? Sad
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorQue wrote:
kyuusaku wrote:
Damn. This a bit naive thought, but is there no chance that that's just the regular Pro Fighter Parallel Port adapter and the PCB converts IDE to Parallel? Sad

I really hope this does utilize a CCL parallel adapter and an IDE to Parallel adapter. I have an FX-64
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cartridge is definitely unique/not a parallel port adapter and uses a part practically clone-proof. Why? I don't know, to me it doesn't really seem necessary, the CDROM PCB's logic seems sufficient to be driven by the parallel port adapter.

Also the CDROM PCB is NOT a parallel port<->IDE adapter, and if it were (to connect to the LPT adapter) it would act *as the PC parallel port*. That is like the opposite of how normal parallel port drives work, so I really suggest you don't try connecting them, not that there'd be any reasonable chance of it working anyway.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is off topic but relative, so I want to ask, is the slot on the side of the FX-64 compatible with the smart card flash cartridge for gb/gg?
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eastbayarb wrote:
I know this is off topic but relative, so I want to ask, is the slot on the side of the FX-64 compatible with the smart card flash cartridge for gb/gg?

Yes, the FX-64 is basically a PFX2
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:
eastbayarb wrote:

Yes, the FX-64 is basically a PFX2

Oh good so the official CCL parallel port adapter should work ? Could that also be used for the CD-ROM drive? I hope it is one day found out how the CCL CD-ROM drive is constructed so one day it may be possible to make your own.
madman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eastbayarb wrote:
Oh good so the official CCL parallel port adapter should work ? Could that also be used for the CD-ROM drive? I hope it is one day found out how the CCL CD-ROM drive is constructed so one day it may be possible to make your own.

kyuusaku wrote:
The cartridge is definitely unique/not a parallel port adapter and uses a part practically clone-proof.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that already madman, I was talking about the CD-ROM drive itself. I have the CCL parallel port adapter and was wondering if the CD-ROM drive itself could be cloned to work with the CCL parallel port adapter. I'm not as stupid as you think I am.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: