ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Generic GB/GBC Loaders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Generic GB/GBC Loaders Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

When using a GB/GBC flash cart like the SmartBoy or GameJack, is there a generic loader you can use to compile several ROM images into a single image? I know some copiers like the GameJack has that ability built into the bios, but is there any generic solution that would work with all copiers?
CrackLtd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only utility i know which does that is the "GBX-Tool v1.8 by MFM". Initially designed for the Bung Gameboy MGD3 GBXChanger flashcard copier, i don't know if it works for other brand copiers and/or flashcards.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory it's possible to create a ROM that lets you choose the flashcart it's running on to switch out the fixed bank and switch MBC but nothing like that exists now. Probably because flashcarts aren't all programmed the same and the generic programmers aren't maintained anymore.
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm... I'm a laymen when it comes to technical hardware details, so stop me if this is totally wrong. Would it be possible to bind the executable roms to each other? I would guess no, since it's not like binding executables on a regular computer (especially if your executable size exceeds the maximum mbits allowed on a real cart)?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some game compilations which contain no special hardware (no bankswitching like a multicart) but this is made possible because the game console has a large enough ROM space to contain all the games simultaneously and because the people had access to the source code to relatively easily relocate code, data and memory. Someone could in theory make a highly complex program to do this without sourcecode, but not for GB since it already relies on bankswitching for practically it's entire library and because I believe all MBC have a fixed bank. That kind of thing would be more suited to MD and SFC.
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do most static (non-flashable) XXX-in-1 carts employ their own bank switching as well? Or are they generally just ROM hacked?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: