ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gameboy flash cards --> Works for Color games too?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Gameboy flash cards --> Works for Color games too? Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

Are gameboy color games just coded differently, or do the carts have different hardware inside? Ie. If I burned a color game on a regular flash card made for the BW gameboy, would it still work in color if played on a color gameboy?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cartridge hardware is 100% compatible between the two though it's been said that some MBC may not be fast enough for the 8 MHz GBC. Flash carts contain programmable logic rated for far greater than 8 MHz.
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat. I think I'll give it as shot as soon as my equipment comes in.
amptor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really remember if any color games work on a noncolor cart. I think some do. I think I flashed Tetris DX onto a Metroid cart and it ran. gbc carts used mbc5 so they could support a larger eprom chip. It's been so long since I have even turned on my gbc that I have long since forgotten all the details. I was huge into it back in 1998-1999 until the gbc scene showed me how much it sucks to be involved with all the idiots in the scene lol. I even got into GBA late because I was tired of all those people. But luckily I got all the GBA stuff later on that I need. Wink There's plenty of resources on the web explaining the different chips they used in gameboy cartridges. Do a google search on Jeff Frohwein or "Carbon Copy Card" and you'll find all the info you need.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's also a matter of size. The GB Color games are noticeably larger than the GB mono games. Typically from what I have seen, GB mono flash carts seemed to range in 1mb - 8mb (4mb seeming to be the most common size) and that's not big enough.

What I will do is try to load a GB Color game (the smallest one, like Super Mario Bros) on my GB flash cart and report the results
madman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, kyuusaku already responded with the correct answer. Short of any special memory mapping chips, GB and GBC carts are the same things. Most of the people who were doing early GBC dev were using our old GB flash carts.
rcade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The games work fine.

However, my flash carts are written to using a parallel port connection to the link port on the Gameboy. This does not work on the color- I have to flash it using an old GB or GB Pocket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: