ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with missing Caps/Diode on Double Pro-Fighter Mainboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schmake

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Help with missing Caps/Diode on Double Pro-Fighter Mainboard Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I purchased an incomplete Double Pro Fighter from a fellow member here. Got the device today and began to pull it apart to see any visible damage on the mainboard prior to giving it any juice. Some visible scorching where a diode was missing, and a hacked bridge (wire) led me to look a little deeper.

I can see that a cap at C13 has been removed, and also at C38. It appears that even though there are areas on the board, there never was a cap at C17, nor a diode at D3.

What I am looking for here guys is a little heads up as to what size caps were at C38 and C13.

The RAM board appears to look fine at the moment, fingers crossed it is good.

This DBF is missing the adapter to join to the MD/SNES so I will need to make a straight through adapter.... I'm just wondering if this is worth the effort at the moment.

If anyone could provide me with some insight or schematics would be much appreciated

cheers Very Happy
schmake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I managed to track down a site with a scan of the top side of the PCB for the DBF at http://www.randomsonicnet.org/workshop/BoardTop.jpg

Cap 17 and Diode 13 aren't on the board.
Cap 38 is a 200pF 50 volt Ceramic Capacitor (identical to others on the PCB).
I will replace the diode 5 with one of my spare diodes for my pinballs (1N4004).
Can't make out the Capicitor at C13. Looking at the datasheet for the voltage regulator beside it (AN7805) it has an input voltage of 35V. Will try something a little less than that for the cap, maybe 25V 10uF

Will undertake the repairs, make a pass through adapter and hopefully I haven't bought a dud and the bad boy will work Very Happy
schmake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that the connector is not a straight pass-through afterall.

There are 2 resistor networks on the PCB. Anyone know exactly why there are there Question
schmake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced all the missing caps and diode on the main. Made my own pass-through adapter (minus resistor network).... and I had no luck. My backyard passthrough could be the problem, but I'm thinking that I need to compare this to a working unit Sad
MottZilla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure someone here has a DPF and maybe they'll be able to help you.

If you need the connector adapter you can buy the MD one here: http://gamedoctorhk.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_2_19_116&products_id=729
rcade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you go about making your own passthrough card? I need one for my MGH...
schmake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Mottzilla, I'm not sure if I want to invest another $30 on what I'm now thinking is a shonky DPF. Would be good to compare against another working board to identify exactly what component may have gone.

rcade: I had some spare double sided PCBs left over, and etched one out myself. I didn't use the resistor network however.
I'm a fan of the laser toner/photo paper method as highlighted in this thread
rcade

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have the layout you printed to make one? Smile
schmake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, here it is. If anyone can see an error please let me know

mda_FINAL.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  mda_FINAL.zip
 Filesize:  75.34 KB
 Downloaded:  367 Time(s)

vgplayer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting a Double Pro Fighter in a few days with both adapters. Let me know if you need anything.
schmake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vgplayer wrote:
I am getting a Double Pro Fighter in a few days with both adapters. Let me know if you need anything.

Thanks mate, but I think that this one I have here is dead. The gamble taken with 'untested'
DoctorBackup

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmake wrote:
vgplayer wrote:

Thanks mate, but I think that this one I have here is dead. The gamble taken with 'untested'

Just cause you currently think it's "dead" doesn't mean it useless. Most copiers can be easily repaired with little experience. TOmy has fixed peples copiers in the past. Of course you got to pay the shipping which using snail mail isn't to bad.
schmake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back to revisiting this unit again. Thoroughly checked the board, and cleaned up some tracks that didn't look quite right and gave the board a thorough overhaul.
Tried to dump the bios, didn't get a clean read. Cleaned up the tin to get a dump to compare to others (haven't done that yet), but this gave me hope that this could be an issue.
Tried again with my homebrew adapter, no joy. Tried with a SMD+ adapter (doesn't fit the case, straight to board) and it works! Haven't thoroughly checked everything yet, but looking good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: