ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

does the MVS 100in1 cardridge work with a Phantom Convertor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fab

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: does the MVS 100in1 cardridge work with a Phantom Convertor? Reply with quote

hi there, does the MVS 100in1 cardridge, that tototek sales, work with a Phantom Convertor on a AES Console?

or just in a MVS Systen ?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good question, I've never heard anyone ask that so I don't know for sure. I really can't think of any reason it wouldn't work other than if there is a problem with the way the converter works. If you already have the converter you could just give it a try. If not I think your money is better spent on a MVS system and Supergun opposed to an overpriced converter for the AES. Unless you dislike the idea of using a JAMMA board.
CrackLtd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a video on YouTube showing that multicart running via an adapter on a home system. I forgot the link, do a search yourself if you like.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only issue is power, the multicarts have a number of CPLD so they draw 3x as much current as a normal cart.
CrackLtd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not to much logic chips in. I have opened my 100in1 Cart, and there is mainly one kind of chip in there, Around 30x the same type of ROMS (i guess, somewhere they must store the massive game data ...). I forgot to write down the particular type of the ROMS (there is some writing on the chips) but i can open the cart again and do some pics if you want me to do so.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone's already scanned a number of them: http://mvs.gotwalls.com/index.php/Main_Page#Bootleg_-_Multigame

Those CPLD draw around 100mA each, and there are four/five of them in the multicarts in addition to the ROMs. Original carts draw 300-500mA total, almost all coming from the ROMs.

The MVS converter also contains a PAL drawing between 30-100mA and an ASIC presumably drawing >50mA.

At Neo Geo speeds TTL logic chips draw <15mA per chip and CMOS draw <1mA, so if all the logic could fit in discrete chips it would actually save significant power. Obviously that's not what they were going for, and on MVS it really doesn't make a difference since the cart's on the JAMMA power, but a regulated "9V" home system really will struggle. A 5V even will.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep hoping they make another 100-in-1 MVS cart that has the remaining games (I am honestly stunned that the 100-in-1 doesn't have Samurai Showdown/Spirits 1, or Baseball Stars 1). I have seen a 108-in-1 and I think another, but they keep on adding enhancements of the some of the games already on the 100-in-1
MottZilla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want, they are pirates not archivists. It's a shame it's a collection including tons of hacked sets like KoF ## PLUS. What would have been so bad about just putting the original sets on there? Also don't they tend to have repeats (different hacks) of the same games to get up to 100 games? That's probably so they can reuse some of the ROM data and yet still claim it's 100 in 1.
Fab

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so again....

will the 100in1 work on this convertor ?

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kyuusaku for that interesting explanation, always a pleasure to read your stuff.

Fab, nobody here seemed to have tested such a setup but your question has been pretty much answered.
Theoratically it should work but the neogeo AES has never been designed to draw that much power.
Maybe modding this Phantom adapter to add a 2nd external PSU would help...

Unless you already own the full system, if you wanna play safe, get a supergun.

Btw, what are those side connectors on the Phantom? Stereo?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, early AES revisions pass audio through the cartridge.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, do you think he'll need to get a power supply that outputs more amps or is the potential power problem not that simple? Clearly he's looking for a yes or no answer for the cart and his AES.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he has a 5V AES then yeah, a better power supply would work. If he has a 9V, he'd need to bias his regulator circuit to 5.6V, put in a current bypass diode *and* need a better power supply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: