ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Flasher 2.3 Lock-Ups

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilidar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Super Flasher 2.3 Lock-Ups Reply with quote

Up to this point I've always been impressed with Tototek's work, however this entire Tiger-Soft fiasco is beginning to shake my faith a little.

First, I find that ver 2.2 of the software doesn't even work at all. Then came ver 2.3, however it too appears 'craptacular' as about 70%+ of the time it locks up when attempting to write any games to the cart. I know it's not my system (although I've rebooted it about a dozen times) and have confirmed this to be related ONLY to the SuperFlasher as all previous DreamWriter carts work just fine with no issues whatsoever.

Anybody else seeing this, or is it just me?

Much thanks.
trilidar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, what's up with the software not working with ZIP files?
trilidar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW. What a piece of crap.

Actually, make that about 99.5% of the time it locks (so far out of over 30 attempts I've luckily gotten it to successfully work TWICE).

I have confirmed that it's not a PC issue since another desktop and laptop both behave the same way. I also fail to see this as a hardware issue with the flash card, because when it works it works 'as advertised'. The problem here would appear to be crap-ass support software.

Note to Tototek:

Please do us all a BIG favor and return to the DreamWriter team (since unlike Tiger-Soft, they appearently have a clue of what they're doing).
DjoeN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well
All vesions work nice here 2.2 has some size problems (not showing the complete menu) 2.3 works without problems, i flashed alot of roms since i got it, never had 1 lock-up or problem with the software.
trilidar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm at a loss here.

PC is running WinXP Pro SP1.
SNES is US.
Flash Card has CIC chip soldered.

All previous DreamWriter flash cards work just fine, however this one exhibits the following issues:

1) Open Super Flasher 2.3
2) Set switch to 'on' on base
3) Super Flasher shows card info (64M) and reads header
4) Select 'Add Game' and choose an uncompressed ROM
5) Select 'Program'
6) Super Flash begins programming (can see progress bar)

This is where the trouble begins. Over 95% of the time, progress bar stops and then processor util goes to 100%. Program then locks. If I do nothing, it will eventually time out and return 'Not Responding' error dialog box. If I turn base switch to 'off' then progress bar will complete, however cart will not boot. Regardless of what I do or how I do it (ie, cart turned on 1st and then Super Flasher started, etc) makes no difference.

I have disabled almost everything in the system tray (ie, MSN Messenger, McAfee AV, etc) and ran program in all WinXP compatibility modes and it makes no difference.

Needless to say I'm alittle pissed right now and any help (or suggestions) would be greatly appreciated.

(and I really do wish Tototek would go back to the DreamWriter team because nobody ever seemed to have any problems with their stuff).
Joker Smoker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had no problems at all with my flash card, it might be that you guys aren't using EPP Parallel Mode to communicate with the card. You should check what your Parallel transfer protocol is in the System Bios, on mine it's under 'Integrated Devices / Peripherals' > 'On Board Parallel Mode'. It should be set as EPP not ECP.
trilidar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, already checked that. I've set it for ECP (obviously doesn't work) and both types of EPP (1.7 and 1.9). Results are always the same: as posted above.

At this point I'm beginning to chalk it up to a defective card, however that's really hard to do because when it does work (less than 2% of the time) it works great.

I still stand by my original stance: bring back DreamWriter team.

Somebody from Tototek please contact me about a replacement.
DjoeN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it on another PC first before thinking on a deffective flashkit.

If it still fails, then i should aks for a replacement.

and i do agree that the software needs impovements (zip support, ips patching, regio recognition of the roms maybe, etc...) but i'm not gonna argue about that, cause i can't programm at all and therefor i'm not gonna break down something i can't do myself.
Smile
ketotot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the kit working. The 2.3 software seems buggy,but still works.
Sometimes it won't recognize the cart.

I also noticed if you use this with the Dreamwriter software for the MD Pro, it will recognize the cart and even seem to flash games to the cart successfully. But when you plug the cart into your SNES none of the roms are actually there.
I only tried using Dreamwriter to check if my parallel connection was good, because at first, the Superflash software wasn't recognizing my cart. I am NOT saying that you can flash roms to the SNES flash cart with Dreamwriter.
ketotot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Read beyond end of file error. Reply with quote

What does the 'Read beyond end of file' error mean?
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trilidar wrote:
At this point I'm beginning to chalk it up to a defective card, however that's really hard to do because when it does work (less than 2% of the time) it works great.

New version software here : http://www.tototek.com/pio/main1/download/files/SuperFlash2_33.exe

You can try it first before ship it back. This new version flashing speed will be little bit slower. But for some (very fast) PC, it is better to flash the cart.
trilidar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomy,

You the man! Yeah it's alot slower than 2.3, but I no longer have ANY lockup issues. You've fixed it!

BIG thanks and keep up the fabulous work!

tril

PS-- any chance of adding ZIP support?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: