ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saves

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mykikeul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Saves Reply with quote

Hello,

I read that save won't work on only few games. Do you know which games?

I've heard about these games:
-Phantasy Star IV
-Soleil (Crusader of Centy)
-Wonderboy IV
-Sonic 3D

Any other?

Is there any patch available for these games?

Thanks,
southbird

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull this to its own thread

Last edited by southbird on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the issue isn't the SRAM exactly. Most games with save use a battery backed-up static RAM. That's what the MD-Pro has and it works just like those games. A few games DON'T use that - they use an EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable ROM). EEPROMs are NOT like RAM in any manner. You have to do multiple operations of a specific sequence to read or write data. The MD-Pro doesn't have this, or the means to simulate it. So those games using EEPROM won't be able to save. EEPROM storage is much smaller and FAR more expensive than battery backed-up SRAM, but doesn't require a battery.

If you want a simple analogy, BBSRAM is the open buffet - you walk along it and pick out what you want directly. EEPROM is an expensive restaurant where you wait for a server, tell them what you want, wait for them to tell the cooks, and then bring it to you.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible that someone may have written a patch to modify those EEPROM saving games to use typical SRAM saving. But I'm not sure where you might find something like that.
mykikeul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chilly Willy wrote:
Actually, the issue isn't the SRAM exactly. Most games with save use a battery backed-up static RAM. That's what the MD-Pro has and it works just like those games. A few games DON'T use that - they use an EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable ROM). EEPROMs are NOT like RAM in any manner. You have to do multiple operations of a specific sequence to read or write data. The MD-Pro doesn't have this, or the means to simulate it. So those games using EEPROM won't be able to save. EEPROM storage is much smaller and FAR more expensive than battery backed-up SRAM, but doesn't require a battery.

If you want a simple analogy, BBSRAM is the open buffet - you walk along it and pick out what you want directly. EEPROM is an expensive restaurant where you wait for a server, tell them what you want, wait for them to tell the cooks, and then bring it to you.

Thanks for your explanation but I already know what is an EEPROM Wink
I'm quite surprised that tototek didn't implement this feaature because eeprom WAS expensive but now it isn't the case anymore, expetially regarding MD-PRO price...

That's too bad... is there a lot of games that uses EEPROM?
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this for eeprom info: http://genplus-gx.googlecode.com/files/gen_eeprom.pdf

Looks like a little less than 20 games use eeprom.
segasonicfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crusader of Centy and Monster World IV don't work on the MD-Pro?!??!?

so much for the review here:
http://www.sega-16.com/feature_page.php?id=283&title=Sega%20Gear:%20MD-Pro%20Flash%20Card

wow, that really, really sucks. I was looking forward to playing through the translated rom so much. Crying or Very sad
MottZilla

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crusader of Centy should work just fine. Monster World 3 is said to use EEPROM. Monster World 4 I believe uses SRAM and should also work fine.
segasonicfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok. good thing I still own Monster World 3. I checked "enable save" on my MW4 rom and checked slot 1 but it didn't save right when I played it.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a quick check and my Monster World 4 does indeed appear to use SRAM so it should save on the MD PRO. Maybe you could get a save file from online (not a save state, a SRM) and load it onto your MD PRO and see if you can load a save in Monster World 4. Also have you been able to save in other games that use SRAM?
conceitedjerk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I fooled with my MD-Pro, but I remember having a SRAM issue whereby games wouldn't save to Slot 1. I remember telling the MD-Pro to use Slot 2 instead, and as I recall it did the trick.
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked MWIV, and while it does use SRAM, it doesn't enable it as the SEGA standard calls for. That means that if MWIV is being burned directly to the cart, the SRAM won't be enabled and won't work. You need to burn this as a multi-game load, putting the loader menu and the game on the cart. The menu should enable the sram before starting the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> MD-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: