ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why all this bashing about neoflash products?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrGamez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Why all this bashing about neoflash products? Reply with quote

I've been reading a lot of posts here and other forums and I am wondering, why do so many people bash neoflash?

I have a Neo PC-E and MD Myth Cart and they work great!. I don't understand why neoflash gets a bad rap.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably due to the GBA and early NDS days. I hear alot of people were bitter about that. I mainly don't care for them because most of what they make is very expensive when it has no reason to be, they announce products which surface like in the case of the N64 over 3 years later, and basically for anything they make there is probably an alternative option you are better off getting instead. I have heard from people that bought their products they thought that the support for products after buying them was poor but I never bought a Neo product.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen their products aren't well designed because they don't seem to reverse engineer much. Likely they contract engineering work and pretty understandably (also probably illegally) look for the fastest/easiest way out.

Also that would explain their apparent inability/lack of desire to answer technical questions about their own products.

Their products are (often necessarily) modeled off of existing, sometimes free/open projects.

They almost certainly break software licenses (maybe open hardware too) because of that.

They enlist the help of the public to sometimes: write software (not their forte), do design work, do testing for them, troubleshoot and support their products. People even DONATE hardware to them. This is all stuff they should probably do themselves, not just morally because they are a for-profit operation, but for quality/aesthetic purposes...

They emphasize the homebrew cause yet they clearly don't have a technical community; their userbase seems to mostly be loyal handheld pirates. Some might find this misleading.

They super aggressively promote their stuff like a big-business by giving away freebies and holding contests. Personally I find it unattractive even though it's really a person's own fault for falling to marketing tactics.

They are/are related to a long time 3rd party manufacturer of game accessories, some of which are meant to be confused for official products (so they are/are related to counterfeiters).

They use copyrighted artwork (certainly without permission) instead of creating all-original designs for their labels/menus/packaging...
danntor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they brought their first DS card out they had it setup so the first dumps were patched to only work on their hardware. As MottZilla was saying they screwed up in the GBA/DS department. False promises, terrible build quality and terrible software.
NorQue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally to everything that has been said NeoFlash products were crap already when the company still called itself XG-Flash and they completely ripped off the first EZ-Flash card, badly.

For a quick laugh: http://scifi.pages.at/qrnqrn/ - that's what anyone should do with XG/NeoFlash products.
danntor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorQue wrote:
Additionally to everything that has been said NeoFlash products were crap already when the company still called itself XG-Flash and they completely ripped off the first EZ-Flash card, badly.

For a quick laugh: http://scifi.pages.at/qrnqrn/ - that's what anyone should do with XG/NeoFlash products.

Been trying to find that for a while now, thanks.
MrGamez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are their products still bad? I have a friend that has the PC Engine cartridge from Neo Flash and he has had no problems with it at all. I went to their website, and I see people giving them praises for their new Sega Genesis and N64 cartridge. I do agree, that waiting many years for their products is absurd.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their own website is hardly a place to gauge their consumer satisfaction as anything negative would just be removed. It's not that the products don't work at all, if they didn't they wouldn't sell at all.

But basically, for PCE you have the alternative of Tototek's card, and older copiers. For Sega Genesis you have Tototek's card, the Megacart, older copiers again, and you could probably build your own flash cartridge easily. For N64 you have alot of old copiers. So there are alternatives to any of Neo's products, which are generally much cheaper and offer the same or better functionality.

If they didn't charge so much you might overlook the short comings. Really I have nothing against them and it's not bad that they exist and it's fine with me if people choose to buy them. I just think there are better alternatives and they aren't in the business to be competitive, just to make as much money as possible which is not very nice for the consumer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: