ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SMS-Pro + SMS-MD Adaptor + Cheats?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> SMS-PRO Flash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tongueman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: SMS-Pro + SMS-MD Adaptor + Cheats? Reply with quote

Hi, still no replies from my last post. So a question to Tomy or anyone else at Tototek:

Did you ever test cheats (ie: PAR codes) with the SMS-Pro cartridge and using the SMS-MD adaptor (from Tototek) on a Mega Drive console? If so, did they ever work?

I have tried to make the cheats work on many games using this setup, but the games always crash at the SEGA logo or on the title screen. The same cartridge & cheats work fine in my Game Gear with Master Gear adaptor, but not on the MD with SMS adaptor. Could you please test the setup as I said above and fix the crashing?
Memblers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, SMS carts use an internal checksum of some sort.

Maybe you could try patching your ROM with your desired cheat(s), and use a program to repair the checksum (if a proggy like that exists) before flashing the cart. ucon64 might be able to do this (I haven't checked). http://ucon64.sourceforge.net/

I could be totally wrong (I probably am, in fact), but I guess that's something to try..

(BTW, is that you, Chris? Nick sounds familiar..) Very Happy
dbjh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memblers wrote:
IIRC, SMS carts use an internal checksum of some sort.

They do. Game Gear games don't.

Memblers wrote:
Maybe you could try patching your ROM with your desired cheat(s), and use a program to repair the checksum (if a proggy like that exists) before flashing the cart. ucon64 might be able to do this (I haven't checked).

Sadly enough, I just found out that the code in uCON64 that should do that (option -chk), does not work... I will fix it in a moment.

Memblers wrote:
I could be totally wrong (I probably am, in fact), but I guess that's something to try..

You were wrong, but it's my fault, not yours :-)

[edit]
You were right, I was wrong again :-) I already found it strange -- I always test code before I commit it to the CVS repository. There is a bug though. -chk works for games without a header and for games in interleaved format. It does not work for uninterleaved games with a header. So, if you want to fix the checksum, be sure that the file has no header or that it is interleaved. You can remove a header with -stp. You can interleave a game with -smd.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Cheat woes Reply with quote

Hey, Mems... yes, it's me... Wink

While it's true that SMS carts have a checksum, only the US and Euro SMS systems check it from their BIOS and prevent a game from running if it's wrong. The Megadrive has no SMS BIOS, so it should run hacked games normally (it does; I've had to hack in cheats manually).

The cheat system that the SMS-Pro seems to use is a bit of code added after the ROM of each game that writes to RAM locations each VBlank. And while this works on the GG, and presumably (I don't have a proper SMS here) on the SMS, it doesn't work properly on the MD with SMS adaptor. The game crashes and otherwise does bad things... I'd like to know why.

Oh, well. I guess I'll have to wait until after Chinese New Year for any answers. Surprised
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongueman :
Yes, this is because the timming. We already mention it from SMS PRO page. We say not all type of cheat code can use. I can tell you that all SMS (except very old version) can work. If you use sms adaptor with sms pro and md, then you should use to hack the game. This mean you need another type cheatcode. It is real address from the game. Not ram address. You know what i mean ?

-Tomy
Tongueman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: re: SMS + MD adaptor Reply with quote

tomy wrote:
Tongueman :
Yes, this is because the timming. We already mention it from SMS PRO page. We say not all type of cheat code can use. I can tell you that all SMS (except very old version) can work. If you use sms adaptor with sms pro and md, then you should use to hack the game. This mean you need another type cheatcode. It is real address from the game. Not ram address. You know what i mean ?

-Tomy

Ah, but that's the thing. This point is NOT mentioned on the SMS-Pro page. At least, I cannot find it. Could you please point out where?

Anyhow, now that I have your attention... could you possibly help out with another problem? I bought some Mark III games and they do not work on the MD with SMS adaptor (in the MkIII slot). I've checked the games' contacts; they seem to be clean. However, when inserted in the adaptor (label side up, right?) and when I turn on the power, the games don't run at all. Any clues as to what may be wrong?
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: re: SMS + MD adaptor Reply with quote

Tongueman wrote:

Ah, but that's the thing. This point is NOT mentioned on the SMS-Pro page. At least, I cannot find it. Could you please point out where?

Ah, sorry, this point is pointed by LEO. But we forgot to put on SMS PRO page. We'll add it now. Sorry.
Tongueman wrote:

Anyhow, now that I have your attention... could you possibly help out with another problem? I bought some Mark III games and they do not work on the MD with SMS adaptor (in the MkIII slot). I've checked the games' contacts; they seem to be clean. However, when inserted in the adaptor (label side up, right?) and when I turn on the power, the games don't run at all. Any clues as to what may be wrong?

Yes, label side up. But did you successful to run other MKIII game ? Or all not work ?
Tongueman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: SMS-Adaptor Reply with quote

SMS games work fine in the adaptor. But the two MkIII games that I have (Mah-Jong & Woody Pop (w/Card Catcher)) don't work in the MkIII slot of the MD adaptor. I now have a Mark III system, so this is not such a problem now, but I'd still like to get the games to work. They play fine on my MkIII.
acem77

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongueman

what games did you try with what codes that work or did not work but showed you some video display.

i only get a black screen. when trying>
sega genesis with power base converter
sega genesis with the tototek adapter
sms game on gg-pro
sms game on sms-pro with sms adpter for game gear.

is tomy saying i need a real sega master system for the par codes to work?

i do have a "real" sms pro action replay and it does not work with the power base converter or tototeks converter.

my genesis is a model one system.
acem77

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been testing a real gamegear pro action replay on my game gear.
i used this code for GG_Shinobi_(E)_[!].gg
00D2-0B04 - infinite energy
it works like a charm
i used the gg-pro and the real par with no problem.
if i input the code 00D2-0B04 into DreamWriter(SMS/gg)
and flash the cart i get an error... it does not like "00" at the begining.
if i use "ff" at the begining i get a black screen.
there must be something that can be set for the 1st part of the code.....
acem77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.3 update fixed this Smile
acem77

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 Years later I wanted to use my GG-pro for Aleste 3 hacked to run on real hardware with and unlimited lives code I made. My terrible notes from then led me to a Long night pulling out old PC equipment and archived hard drives.
Code I said worked with Shinobi was on an old hard drive install location of the patched rom. I didn't make it clear the offset of FFx is needed for it to work.
I just said it worked as if I used the stock pro action Replay code beginning with 00x..

Yes it does work with codes I had to use an old XP laptop I had laying around.
And you do need to use the FFx offset from the actual action replay codes that are available or ones that are created through emulators.

Unlimited lives

gg-pro code
FFC347:09

Action Replay code
00C347:09

Emulator code (Xbox)
30000347:0009
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> SMS-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: