ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to play Tales of Phantasia (translated)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: How to play Tales of Phantasia (translated) Reply with quote

Get it first : http://www.tototek.com/super.zip

1) Rename your rom to tales.smc
2) Make a new directory with rom and all files (convert tool)
3) Type "super tales" from dos command line
4) It will make sf48002A.078~SF48002F.078
5) Use Super Flasher to flash the cart
6) Enjoy !
ketotot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this work with Windows XP Pro?
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, can use for winxp. Very Happy
dbjh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: How to play Tales of Phantasia (translated) Reply with quote

Hey Tomy, you could use the option -s to split the file. You can use the switch -q to suppress most of the output. If you want to suppress all output just redirect it to the null device (program option > nul). Can't the flasher program handle filenames like SF48TALA.078?
dhaunet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how I got it working:

1) found file named "Tales of Phantasia (J) [T-Eng1.2_DeJap].smc" from GoodSNES set

2) renamed this file to tales.smc

3) used "ucon64 --chk tales.smc" to correct the checksum

4) flashed it using Super Flasher 2.34 - it supports smc files directly

Everything works great
ketotot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info dhaunet. I finally got the checksum corrected! Very Happy
dbjh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaunet wrote:
2) renamed this file to tales.smc

This step is not really necessary of course :-)

dhaunet wrote:
3) used "ucon64 --chk tales.smc" to correct the checksum

But the checksum isn't bad. Tales of Phantasia consist of two ROMs and both contain a SNES "header". The header of the second ROM (16 MBit) is mapped to the usual location. In the unmodified dump this contains the correct SNES checksum. The header of the first ROM (32 Mbit) contains a dummy checksum. However, this doesn't really matter, because after you apply DeJap's translation patch both checksums will match the ROM data. So, why do you "correct" the checksum?
ketotot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my translated rom first showed a bad checksum with ucon64 and then showed that it was 'ok' or fixed after I used dhaunet's method.
But I flashed it onto the cart and it still doesn't run.
It seems it might depend on where you get the rom from.
dbjh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ketotot wrote:
Well, my translated rom first showed a bad checksum with ucon64 and then showed that it was 'ok' or fixed after I used dhaunet's method.

Well, like I wrote in my previous message, the checksum should be correct for both the unmodified and the patched file. Did you apply the patch yourself? If so, be sure to use the correct one for your copy of ToP. Or convert it. Be sure your copy has a header.
You do use a recent version of uCON64, right? Old versions didn't handle ToP correctly, but then I'm talking about *really* old versions.
I suggest to search for an unmodified copy of ToP and apply "the" patch yourself (actually one of four).

ketotot wrote:
But I flashed it onto the cart and it still doesn't run.
It seems it might depend on where you get the rom from.

Not really :-) It only depends on the file data. Does your copy run in an emulator? Does ToToTEK's flasher software support files with a header? If you post the CRC32 value of your copy (post two if your dump is interleaved), we can check if you have the correct file.
ketotot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbjh, at first I was using a rom that I applied the translation patch to myself. But since that didn't work on the flash cart, I decided to hunt down the rom with the patch already applied.

So, I have finally got the game to work on my flash cart. Very Happy
I used ucon64 1.9.8-4, and the "tales_of_phantasia_(j)_[t+eng1.2upcase_dejap]" rom.
The rom worked in the ZNESW emulator, but it also showed checksum:failed, so I used ucon64 to fix it before I flashed it.

What is the latest version of ucon64 anyway? And what is the best utility to use for repairing SNES roms? Any recommendations?
dbjh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ketotot wrote:
dbjh, at first I was using a rom that I applied the translation patch to myself. But since that didn't work on the flash cart, I decided to hunt down the rom with the patch already applied.

Very strange. You do realise that DeJap released four patches? Two for interleaved files (lowercase & uppercase) and two for non-interleaved files.

ketotot wrote:
So, I have finally got the game to work on my flash cart. :D
I used ucon64 1.9.8-4, and the "tales_of_phantasia_(j)_[t+eng1.2upcase_dejap]" rom.
The rom worked in the ZNESW emulator, but it also showed checksum:failed, so I used ucon64 to fix it before I flashed it.

That is also very strange. That file doesn't deserve that name. I bet it isn't recognised by GoodSNES. At least not as a good "dump".

ketotot wrote:
What is the latest version of ucon64 anyway?

1.9.8-4 is the latest released version.

ketotot wrote:
And what is the best utility to use for repairing SNES roms? Any recommendations?

Well, *I* suggest uCON64 of course :-)
Jagasian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbjh,

Any word on uCon64 support for the SuperFlash? It uCon64 supports basically every other backup/dev device. It would be a real bad thing for the SuperFlash, if it wasn't supported.
dbjh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not a word. timofonic has had some contact with Tomy, but I believe there was some Chinese holiday.
I agree that it would be sad if ToToTEK would stop releasing information about how to program their devices. There have been several cases where people could use their ToToTEK device with uCON64 and not with the official software. Let alone people like you who prefer to use another OS. To ToToTEK it should only be important that their customers are happy with their (hardware) products.
Tomy has not rejected the idea, so I guess it's just a matter of time. Tomy, if you're reading this, could you shed some light on this issue?
The Dumper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see uCON64 support too. It will probably come one way or another. It would be really nice if Tototek saw the value in it and released the programming information. This would save me a lot of work reverse engineering the protocol like I had to do for the SF7.
epochkun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Tomy's method to create the six files, but now if I want to flash with superflasher, how do I do that? Just add the first file? I'm still completely at a loss as to how to get this game playable on the card. I know when I got it it was on there, but I thought the rom was only 48mbit. When I try to add the translated versions from the GoodSet it comes up as 64. Is there anything I can do so I can just have a rom that I can add to the SuperFlash which shows up correctly as 48mbit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: