ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need to know some info on a few copier units.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Videogamer555

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Need to know some info on a few copier units. Reply with quote

Info I'm looking for on each copier is:

expected price range for device

file format (and associated 3 letter file extension like *.xxx) or formats it can read

file format or formats it can write

which type of cartridge slot (SFC, SNES, or universal slot) it has on top for game cartridges to fit in

which type of cartridge slot (SFC, SNES, or either) on the console it's meant to fit into

overall performance (English menus available? English is default language setting? not-buggy firmware? easy to navigate menus? maximum game compatibility? etc)

the means of transfer to and from the system for game ROM files (floppy drive? CD-ROM drive? CD-ROM burner? serial cable? parallel cable? USB cable? USB thumbdrive? SD/CompactFlash card? etc)

And here is the list of copier units I want to know this information about about:

Game Doctor SF 3 *

Game Doctor SF 6 *

Game Doctor SF 7 *

Multi Game Doctor

Multi Game Hunter

Pro Fighter X *

Pro Fighter X Turbo 2 *

Family Partner

Special Partner

Supercom Partner

UFO Super Drive Pro 7 *

UFO Super Drive Pro 8

Super Magicom *

Super Wildcard *
Videogamer555

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put * by each of the devices that I MUST know the info about (the rest I want to know, but probably won't be buying so it's not that important).

I'm just trying to select a copier device and do some "comparison shopping" rather than just running out and buying a unit (a.k.a. "impulse buying").
madman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Videogamer555 wrote:
I've put * by each of the devices that I MUST know the info about (the rest I want to know, but probably won't be buying so it's not that important).

I'm just trying to select a copier device and do some "comparison shopping" rather than just running out and buying a unit (a.k.a. "impulse buying").

If you MUST know the prices, how about checking the forums here for previous sold prices? Or even the shop here on Tototek? Or the link to the other store on the home page that also sells copiers?
Videogamer555

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman wrote:
Videogamer555 wrote:

If you MUST know the prices, how about checking the forums here for previous sold prices? Or even the shop here on Tototek? Or the link to the other store on the home page that also sells copiers?

What about the other info I asked for? It wasn't just prices. Most was technical info such as cartridge slot size, and even the types of files each device reads and writes, and the method for transferring game rom files between the device and a computer.
madman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of that information could be found on here as well.
Videogamer555

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman wrote:
The majority of that information could be found on here as well.

Unfortunately I don't know where to look on here to find it. Could you help me find it?
amptor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a big list, I'd suggest searching google and searching the buy/sell/trade forum and looking up past posts as well as visiting tototek and tototek's friend shop to see prices. I'm too busy lately to post answer to that big of a list unless maybe I got some kind of compensation lol.
Videogamer555

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amptor wrote:
That is a big list, I'd suggest searching google and searching the buy/sell/trade forum and looking up past posts as well as visiting tototek and tototek's friend shop to see prices. I'm too busy lately to post answer to that big of a list unless maybe I got some kind of compensation lol.

Do you really think google will have info on every file format that each device can read and/or write? How about each copier's cartridge slot shape (if SFC, SNES, or both), do you think I can find it on google? I don't think so. The most informative place I found was http://home.clara.net/robwebb/backup/#menu .
And even it doesn't tell of file format(s) associated with each copier or SFC/SNES system compatibility or the SFC/SNES cartridge compatibility. That's why I came to the tototek forums hoping someone with extreme knowledge of SNES copiers (maybe even someone who was an SNES game pirate from back in the day) would come here and answer all my questions. This was why I posted here.
danntor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even a please in there.
madman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is going to answer a bunch of questions from someone who has made zero effort to answer the questions on their own. Do your research and then post what you're still missing after that.

Also, if your goal is just to select one device, why would you have old, very outdated copiers like the Super Magicom on there? If you want just one copier, get a GDSF7 w/128m from Tototek and call it a day.
Videogamer555

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman wrote:
Nobody is going to answer a bunch of questions from someone who has made zero effort to answer the questions on their own. Do your research and then post what you're still missing after that.

Also, if your goal is just to select one device, why would you have old, very outdated copiers like the Super Magicom on there? If you want just one copier, get a GDSF7 w/128m from Tototek and call it a day.

I know the MAIN format on a Game Doctor SF7 is the GD3 format (file name looks like sf#*** where sf is literally the letters sf, # is a number usually 1 and *** is a 3 letter abbreviation of the game name, and # is not 1 only if another game with the same 3-letter abbreviation exists on the disk, and the rom file name does NOT have an extension, in spite of the fact you'd think should be GD3). My source is UCON64 after using it to convert a few games to GD3 format and looking at the pattern in the file naming convention. I already know it has a cartridge connector that will fit in either the SNES or the SFC cartridge slot and has a cartridge slot that will take either SNES or SFC games.
What I don't know is other file formats that the Doctor SF7 might be capable of saving to and what other file formats the Doctor SF7 might be capable of loading.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDSF's only load its own format. It could load another format but without a proper GD3 header bad shit happens. When you can convert formats with UCON64, I don't see why anyone gives a shit what formats it loads.

If you just want the easiest and best way to have all your SNES ROM collection playable on a real SNES, buy the PowerPAK for SNES. You can store your roms on a Compact Flash card which are available in many sizes, I believe up to 32GB. With just 2GB or 4GB at the most you can fit every SNES rom out there on a card. The price is competitive too for the features it offers.

With the release of the PowerPAK it's made old copiers of the day far less appealing. Having to deal with floppys or parallel port links with a PC, an extra power supply, format conversions etc is pretty annoying. When you get a Copier for cheap like a GDSF unit it could be worth it to deal with the issues. But once you approach the price of the PowerPAK, you should just get the PowerPAK. There's no point messing with the GDSF7 with its CDROM or the SuperWildCard DX which is also highly priced.
Videogamer555

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, does each copier write to ONLY ONE format? For example, does the Super Magicom ONLY write to SMC, or is it capable of writing to a couple other popular formats such as FIG and SWC?

As for reading, in general does each copier ONLY read the same format as the main format it writes (such as SMC for the Super Magicom), or do they tend to be able to read more formats than they can write to?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, copiers only "write" in their own format. Some copiers might support other formats to some degree but there may be problems with support of other formats. It is always best to convert to the primary format.

The Super Magicom and Super Wildcard (SMC and SWC) are actually the same format.

And again, these old copiers are not very good deals compared to new offerings like the PowerPAK.
cpix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Videogamer555 wrote:
In general, does each copier write to ONLY ONE format? For example, does the Super Magicom ONLY write to SMC, or is it capable of writing to a couple other popular formats such as FIG and SWC?

As for reading, in general does each copier ONLY read the same format as the main format it writes (such as SMC for the Super Magicom), or do they tend to be able to read more formats than they can write to?

if you are going to buy a copier for the reason of playing roms, 1) you dont really need to write any cartridge to a diskette or know everything about the format you'll be using. just download your roms from you local piracy board, use ucon64 to convert any format as you need. If you want max features, get a super wild card dx2 (where adding a zipdrive and so on is a bit easier)

if you want a cheaper but all around very good, get the GDSF7 which works fine with db25 cable or your run of the mill diskette, and supports most of the games as the swc.

if you for some reason need to know everything there is to know about every actual format, get a hex editor and start sniffing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: