ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bought a Doctor V64

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coffeegod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Bought a Doctor V64 Reply with quote

Hey all! So I just won an auction for a Japanese N64 with a v64 that is.... *eeek* untested with no power supply. Here's the description...

This lot contains a Japanese import Nintendo 64 (with power & AV cables), Doctor V64, Japanese import Mario Kart game, N64 Multi-Game Adapter by Game Source and 2 controllers in the box. The Nintendo 64 and red controler have been tested and appear to work with no problems. The green controler appears to have no damage, but has not been tested. The Doctor V64 is untested since we do not have a power cable for it. The Doctor V64 appears to be in good condition with no damage to the body.

Everything in the pictures looked to be in excellent shape. Now I have an external hdd around that looks like I might be able to use the power supply from maybe, the socket on the V64 looks like it takes a pretty small gauged pin... these pins may be too thick.

Am I going to have problems playing US games/roms with this setup?if it does work lol. I don't even know how much memory is in the thing if any at all. I see Tomy still has 128 meg.

I just looked up the Multi-Game adapter and it sounds like it's just so you can play other region carts in the system vs. opening up the system to carve out those plastic tabs. It's a bonus anyways. I was just over taking to one of the guys that work for me and he had a US/NTSC 64 sitting around with the expansion pack in it so I bought it all for $25 just in case.

Any good tips on these units, anyone here successfully get the HDD mod working?

Oh by the way, I read that these can play CD-i?? Like The old Phillips CD-i games?? Or would this be a different CD-i?
CrackLtd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually 'untested' means the item is broken. At least, that is my experience with eBay. Good luck anyway.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't play CD-i. It plays Video CD (VCD) movies though I believe.

I'm not sure what sort of PSU it needs. It should say the rating on the V64 somewhere. I don't see why you'd want to use a harddrive, the CDROM works fine.
coffeegod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
It doesn't play CD-i. It plays Video CD (VCD) movies though I believe.

I'm not sure what sort of PSU it needs. It should say the rating on the V64 somewhere. I don't see why you'd want to use a harddrive, the CDROM works fine.

Well I was reading somewhere, don't remember and yes it did mention VCD's which I could care less about but it also mentioned CD-i in the list. About the hard drive.... I'm just one of those people that if something can be hacked to do something else I have to do it! Be kind of cool to gut a CD drive and hide the hard drive inside so it still looks stock. Power supplies I've read need 2 grounds, +5V and a +12V. Would be nice to find one I can just plug in and go instead of soldering a bunch of stuff together.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are external harddrive power supplies on ebay which are essentially a single molex connector from a regular PC power supply. It provides exactly what you said, two ground, +5v and +12v both at around 2amps I think.
coffeegod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright so I bid on one external case with PSU then I realized it was too pretty to just get for the psu SO I bought another external case with PSU for $20 that uses 12V & 5V which basically has the end that looks like an S-video connector just like what the V64 looks like it has..... aghhh I'm almost thinking this might work. Looking at the PSU on the external drive sitting next to me it just has just 4 pins that probably wouldn't connect correctly without chopping it.

I have one of these svideo power looking external cases in storage unfortuantly it's REALLY packed in to a 20' shipping container till we can get our new house lol.
madman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go here for the pinout: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_V64

That's everything you need to "make" your own power supply.
coffeegod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I found that last night, hopefully the power supply from the external case is setup with the same pinouts. Sounds too good to be true Smile
coffeegod

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should this V64 display on the screen by itself... without the N64 attached? Without the RAM too?

I'm not too sure if this thing is messed up or I messed up. I've soldered a molex connector to the mainboard to see if I can get this thing to come up. Now it was late at night and I might of accidently switched the +12 for the 5+. Anyways if I have just the V64 hooked up to my TV with the video out I get nothing on the screen at all... the TV isn't even recognizing a signal at all. Anyone good at fixing these things?

Anyone know what the purposes of the relays on the mainboard are for? If I follow the trace from the video out it leads to one of these relays. When I first got the thing on one of them just kept clicking.
CrackLtd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats correct. The V64 outputs its own videosignal. As soon you switch on the N64 the V64 switches its own videout off and ralais-switches the N64 video thru the unit. This only applies if you lead the N64 video signal thru the V64 of course. THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED. You better use two screens, or two inputs of the same screen. You get the best picture from a RGB modified N64, this signal, tho, you cannot lead through the V64 as it only allows CVBS.
coffeegod

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK So the V64 by itself does not output any video signal, as soon as you hit the power you can here one of the relays switching immediately.

N64 tested fine by itself. I did run the N64 video through the V64 and the N64 does display video regardless if the power is on or off on the V64. Possible relay stuck closed? Or is this normal?

I already spent some money on this thing so I'd really like to get it going. I did notice the largest Winbond MPEG-1 decoder chip on the board got really hot last night. I'm assuming that's for the VCD playback.... I have no idea if that affects the units normal video display.

Anyone know of a fuse location, i don't see anything obvious
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why in the world would you have connected power to it without triple checking you did everything right? If you messed up you may have fried it. Did you ever check to make sure your power was connected properly?
coffeegod

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnit! My reply didn't post Razz

I was being careful but one of my molex adapters indexed in reverse from what I had built. V64 side was fine, power side was fine but the pig in the middle screwed me over.

Good chance that this V64 didn't work to begin with... who would actually drop off a perfectly good setup at the Goodwill in Washington?

I have read that these relays have caused problems for a lot of people, I may try to order a new set. There has to be some sort of fuse in these thing but without schematics I'm kind of lost.

It may be fried either from the previous owner or me but either way all the components are replaceable and I'd really like to figure this out.
Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can buy one in here: http://gamedoctorhk.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_1_6_109&products_id=761
adammurf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, did you ever get your V64 fixed?

Having a similar problem: can here the relays clicking but no output. The CD drive powers up so not sure if is an issue with the power supply. Managed to source another mainboard but still the same problem.

Hope someone can help me getting this working..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: