ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MGD1 to FDS File Converter v1.2 (Updated)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> NES/Famicom Disk System Hardware Info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: MGD1 to FDS File Converter v1.2 (Updated) Reply with quote

It is first version, only support single side game image.
Any problem, leave message here.

Hope it will make some people happy. Very Happy

v1.2 added FDS to MGD1 convertion
Only convert side A at the moment

* It don't support fds doctor game. Only support normal FDS game.

Last edited by Tomy on Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you make a converter that converts .FDS images to MGD1 ?
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v1.2 can do FDS to MGD1, but only convert for side A if game has many sides. You can try single side game. Please try and report me here. Thanks.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tomy!

Any plans for multi-sided games or doctor games in the future?

Thanks again!

-Rob
madman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure he'll add multi-sided games, it's just a bit more complicated to work out the logic when converting those as opposed to single sided.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman wrote:
I'm sure he'll add multi-sided games, it's just a bit more complicated to work out the logic when converting those as opposed to single sided.

Right, definitely more complicated. I just wanted to see if he plans on doing more later. Smile

-Rob
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Yes, I'll do it when I have more time. But I want to tell you that because of limit of FDS format. So, it is not possible to convert Doctor format to it.

If want to do that, need to modify fdsloader source code to support file size > 64K. Because Doctor game is bigger than 64K.

Any feedback of my software ? Bugs report ?

-Tomy
rbudrick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tomy,

I haven't been able to test it because I have no MGD1 images to test, but I often have people write me asking if there is a way to do so what the software does, which has sparked many interesting email conversations. Wink

Does FDSLoader stop recording after 65500 bytes? I've always wanted to test this to be sure, but never had a large enough image to test with.

It's too bad FDSLoader is so parallel timing-based. It would be nice to have a modern USB equivalent that works in Windows.

-Rob
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FDSLoader can be modded for dumping larger disks, it's just a container limitation. Something I've thought of is since the fwNES format expects 65500 byte sides, keeping all sides separate once converted would allow programs to easily be extended for larger images while retaining backwards compatibility, it'd just require a new exception in programs which could use the extended images (which are nonexistent).

A USB FDS Loader is possible by porting the code to a microcontroller, but few MCU have enough RAM to hold a disk side so to do away with USB's latency one'd need to time everything to handshake and get data out as soon as possible. Another issue with a microcontroller is that even crazy fast 8-bit ones would have trouble calculating the raw disk CRC for a 96 kHz bitstream. This job would need an overkill 32-bit device probably.

My new personal favorite method is to use the FC expansion port as a soft-serial port that works with a $3 USB adapter.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
FDSLoader can be modded for dumping larger disks, it's just a container limitation. Something I've thought of is since the fwNES format expects 65500 byte sides, keeping all sides separate once converted would allow programs to easily be extended for larger images while retaining backwards compatibility, it'd just require a new exception in programs which could use the extended images (which are nonexistent).

A USB FDS Loader is possible by porting the code to a microcontroller, but few MCU have enough RAM to hold a disk side so to do away with USB's latency one'd need to time everything to handshake and get data out as soon as possible. Another issue with a microcontroller is that even crazy fast 8-bit ones would have trouble calculating the raw disk CRC for a 96 kHz bitstream. This job would need an overkill 32-bit device probably.

My new personal favorite method is to use the FC expansion port as a soft-serial port that works with a $3 USB adapter.

What software do you use for this and what USB device do you use?

-Rob
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any USB<->TTL RS232 will work, I use an adapter from Dealextreme + cobbled together cable + some inverters. The new Munchausen MMC1 flash cart will have a FTDI cable perfectly suited to this. My software is in an experimental state but the method is very promising since it doesn't require any special hardware and isn't limited like the MGD's firmware.
Skorpinox

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed a bug in the MGD1 to FDS portion. The resultant FDS images are 16 bytes too short. IIRC, the formula for FDS images is size = (65500 * n) + 16 where n is the number of sides. I don't know if this is a bug with the converter or the linker, but FDS to MGD1 images are 2 bytes shorter than MGD1 dumps done using your link software. Neither case is usually that significant since those last few bytes are usually zeroes.

Edit: Just to clarify, when I say FDS images I mean the fwNES format (including header).
Skorpinox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed one more bug. When converting side B of Doki Doki Panic, it drops the hidden dummy file. I've checked and the MGD1 did copy the file using your linker software.
cpix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any updates on writing games with more than side? Smile
takeshi385

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on the multi side? I want to make a copy of doki doki panic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> NES/Famicom Disk System Hardware Info All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: