ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An idea, a module for md-pro and other future things...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timofonic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: An idea, a module for md-pro and other future things... Reply with quote

Hi

many people likes more the backup units that not depend of a computer, for can have it on his tv and easily and fastest put his roms in floppys/ cds ( actually the cds are chpear and a lot of capacity, and floppys isnt used much... ), then i have this idea:

Making a embebed system, with ide interface, a parallel for connect it to md-pro or other thing, and, if you like, a floppy, is good for savers, rewritable and very cheap.

Then i know that if this is maked, md-pro could be a lot more selled, and this thing could be used for other tototek's backup unit...

coldfire v3 processor are cheap and i think that has parallel support, this, a little of memory, a ide controller, (floppy controller i dont know if is required for floppy or coldfire could use it directly... ) then this little embebed system could be very great....

timofonic
Suppafly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesnt sound like a very crazy idea, but building a unit to flash the roms wouldnt be cheap, i think most people would rather flash them in their PCs
Ex-Cyber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the idea is to use it with the existing Tototek design, it would be far cheaper and easier (a handful of 7400/4000 series logic vs. a full-blown embedded system) to build an IDE+CompactFlash interface that plugs into a Genesis controller port and add the necessary support routines to the menu program.
timofonic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but using the 68000, could be slow ? sending the info to the controller and writing to the cart... i think that is slow transfering by the controller port, no ?

And a coldfire + little of memory + floppy controller + ide controller couldnt be fast, we dont need a fast ide controller, and the ram we dont need 32mb !!! parallel controller are on coldfire, new design not, this small device could be cheap and ready for other possibles flash carts, like Multi Game Doctor 2 Wink

And then ?

timofonic
Ex-Cyber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes, but using the 68000, could be slow ? sending the info to the controller and writing to the cart... i think that is slow transfering by the controller port, no ?

PC-compatible parallel port interfaces are still based on speeds derived from (E)ISA, so even though the Genesis/MD controller port is probably slower, the speed difference will not be huge. I don't recall the particular chip used by Tototek, but the flash memory itself may even be slower (for writing) than the controller port... although the electrical interface is similar, flash is not like SRAM where you can make a write instantly, even after the unlock and command cycles you must wait for the internal write system to finish its work, this can take several milliseconds in some flash architectures.

Quote:
parallel controller are on coldfire, new design not, this small device could be cheap and ready for other possibles flash carts, like Multi Game Doctor 2

How will this connect to different units? Just through a parallel port? If so, how can the user interact with the device? A built in LCD screen or even a cheap video encoder would add to the cost significantly...
timofonic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interact ? two possible methods...

sending a rom to the console, this is the menu for control it the sender/receiver unit, and the console say to the SR that make it... then, is doesnt necesary other things...

the other... generating by software the graphics ? PICs can make it easily...

timofonic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> MD-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: