ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sega genesis copier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpix

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Sega genesis copier Reply with quote

What is considered as the "best" backup unit for the genesis?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are few to choose from. Double Pro Fighter which I have also does SNES. It also seems to be the most common in bigger ram sizes as it usually has 24M or 32M of DRAM. I've never seen it in 16M or less, though i guess 16M might be out there. The Super Magic Drive is the other big one. It doesn't seem as common as the DPF, and comes in DRAM sizes from 8M to 32M, but it seems to me that 24M is uncommon and 32M seems rare with the 8M and 16M units seeming to pop up for sale more often.

There are some other units like the Multi Game Doctor 2 which won't backup games unless you have the rare backup board from what I remember reading. There is also some Mega Disk Interceptor which is kind of odd and I've only seen in 8M and 16M and don't recall hearing anything about support for games that use SRAM.

In my opinion the best "backup" unit would probably be the Super Magic Drive if you have 32M of DRAM. The reason being it has a built in Parallel Port which DPF doesn't. But you can get a parallel port adapter card for the DPF. So that puts them back to about even. I think the SMD uses an external floppy disk drive that the super magicom used which is a minus. The DPF has a standard drive built in.

In the end the DPF is more available in 32M DRAM than the Super Magic Drive, plus you can use it for SNES games too.

If you don't want to copy games or collect a copier, a Flash Cartridge for Genesis would be cheaper for playing games. The EverDrive cartridge uses SD memory cards and is around 80$. It will play anything SMD or DPF will plus it also will work with Sega Master System and Sega 32X which DPF doesn't and I'm pretty certain SMD doesn't either.
madman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the MD+, which is essentially an SMD with a built-in floppy drive.
sledge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
There is also some Mega Disk Interceptor which is kind of odd and I've only seen in 8M and 16M and don't recall hearing anything about support for games that use SRAM

SRAM works fine with the Mega Disk Interceptor, but you need a cart inserted in the unit that has suport for SRAM itself. You use the cart to store game data on instead.

You can also write the save data down to a disk from the game cart, and load it back when needed.
CrackLtd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everdrive. Period.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everdrive isn't a Copier. But yes whatever class it is in it seems to be at the top.
ssxcody

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on what you are planing to do with it. the multi game hunter is the most reliable one but with 16m very limited in size (the 24m version is very rare). the double pro fighter is good with 32m in size but less reliable. if you just want to play games i`d also recomment the everdrive.
cpix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssxcody wrote:
depends on what you are planing to do with it. the multi game hunter is the most reliable one but with 16m very limited in size (the 24m version is very rare). the double pro fighter is good with 32m in size but less reliable. if you just want to play games i`d also recomment the everdrive.

ok! any links or ideas where to find one?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To say MGH is reliable is a joke. The dumping algorithms suck, ESPECIALLY for MD. IIRC you can't even backup a 24M game on a 24M unit! I vaguely remember having problems backing up even 16M games which doesn't make sense since 4, 8 and 16M games are all mapped the same. The hardware is also extremely unreliable, particularly the floppy drive which is its own sub-system based around a microcontroller. On the other hand both DPF and SMD are based around the same hardware which is better integrated than the MGH, and they share a lot of the same code. The dumping algorithms are basic but as good as you'll get on an old copier which has very poor mirroring detection. The later SMD BIOS and DPF at least know how to bankswitch SRAM and backup >16M games. None of the old copiers know how to do SRAM size detection so any protected games will always need cracks. The hardware is pretty reliable. The DPF is actually the successor to the MGH so I don't know why anyone would say the MGH is better XD
MottZilla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling the "unreliable" reports about Double Pro Fighter are all based on the same one or two quotes that are copy/pasted all over the internet. I have DPF and it works wonderfully. It also doesn't seem in any particular way to be flimsy or unreliable.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
I have a feeling the "unreliable" reports about Double Pro Fighter are all based on the same one or two quotes that are copy/pasted all over the internet. I have DPF and it works wonderfully. It also doesn't seem in any particular way to be flimsy or unreliable.

Same here. Although I have a buzzing sound with a slight flickering image on the MD side on my DPF...I don't know if it's a console issue or some caps need to be changed. Tried to switch psus, composite or RGB...same.
Anybody ever had this kind of issue?
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to recall many Chinese stores having problems with MGH hardware. I mean high defect rates like 30% to 60% or something ridiculous. Dead Floppy drives, chips which popped out of sockets during shipping, etc. Or perhaps I got it confused with another copier?

Man, it's been so long! (^_^);
madman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trenton_net wrote:
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to recall many Chinese stores having problems with MGH hardware. I mean high defect rates like 30% to 60% or something ridiculous. Dead Floppy drives, chips which popped out of sockets during shipping, etc. Or perhaps I got it confused with another copier?

Man, it's been so long! (^_^);

No, you're spot on. At least in the Western world the MGH was largely considered a piece of junk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: