ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

''Read beyond end of file'' error while flashing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkinnyV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: ''Read beyond end of file'' error while flashing Reply with quote

I just got my flash cart in the mail today. Beside finding the cart pre-flashed with 2 game ''Power Rangers'' and ''Tale of Phantasia'' which is not only weird when you expect a unused product (let alone the legal side) but I am getting error when I flash it. I think I was able to flash it once and after that each time I tried it start flashing, at some point the software give me an error ''Read beyond end of file'' and stop. Anybody has an idea? I put my LPT port to EPP already. It give me the same error with Turbo mode ON or OFF. Thank
SkinnyV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really hoping to get some help with that issue guys. After testing a lot of thing, I found out a few ROM generate that error. An example of such ROM is Disney's Aladdin, I tried 2 different USA dump from 2 different good set and also tried the French, Japanese and USA beta rom and they all fail to flash with that same error. I'm confused as I was really not expecting to have issue with normal game like that...

Edit: Ok, despite of the error, the game still appear to flash ok to the cart and I was able to test. Now I wonder why the software is spitting out this error. I'll continue to test as I seem to be having issues with different game not booting from the menu and not showing the correct internal name but from what I can see it is because the flashing software seem extremely dependent of the header of the rom and managed to flash most of them converting them with Ucon which is kinda a pain to do.
LooseCanonSam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomy flashes all the carts to test the SRAM, etc. He chooses ToP because it's big (48 Mb) and Power Rangers because it doesn't have battery backup. Rest assured your cart is probably not used.

I assume you're using Super Flasher V. 34. I haven't run into the error you mention, but I did find I had to remove the headers with ucon64 or snestool to get games to flash in Super Flasher correctly. If particular games still don't work, I can see if they work for me. Is there anything common about the ROMs that give the error? Is it HiRom/LoRom dependent?

Do you find that ucon64 works for the flashing? It's supposed to, but it always seems to overdump ROMs for me, so I haven't tried it on the flash cart.

Edit: Also, this board is pretty much dead. I just hang around to see if anyone is able to back up HiRom SRAM...
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not so much dead as it is "quiet". Boards for products like flash carts rarely have much traffic unless people are having problems. You'll notice that 99% of posts on this board are "how do I..." or "I have _item_ for sale" posts. The board would probably be a little more active if Tomy did things like run a contest every year like NeoFlash does.
SkinnyV

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have E.V.O search of Eden and Aladdin, all the different region that do that. If I convert to SFC they flash without problem. The only difference once converted is that the header get removed so I guess that's one easy fix but it's just annoying. Both are LoRom. As for ucon, I haven't tried to flash with it yet but it might be worth a shot. And yeah, I kinda figured that it was dead after looking at the post:) You want to know if someone can dump the SRAM from an HiRom cart? I just tried a few minute ago after reading your post and it is not working! The SRAM file get corrupted and unusable. Did I get one of the older programmer revision?

Edit: Yeah, I was given a programmer V4 even tough you are supposed to get the newer revision since 2009. Suck
LooseCanonSam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try flashing EVO and Aladdin and see if I get the same error.

It seems a little unlikely that we received older programmers, but it's definitely a possibility. Tomy mentioned in the sticky post on this board that a different software would be required after the update. I sent two e-mails, a PM, and tried live chatting with him over three months, but I've never gotten a reply. If I knew for sure backing up HiRom SRAM wasn't possible with my hardware, it would stop bothering me, but as it is, I'm still beating my head against the wall.
SkinnyV

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the stickies post you'll see that it is specified that they had to upgrade programmer v4 in order to back up Sram from hirom game. My programmer say V4 on it. I am wondering if they are not just trying to offload the old buggy programmer to unsuspecting customer hoping they won't notice. Tomy haven't replied to me either but it's only been a few day. I'll see what I can do to have my programmer swapped as this is not good to advertise a feature and to be send a old revision that can't handle said feature.

Edit: It wasn't an old revision after all and the updated software needed to backup and restore SRAM from HiRom cart was just uploaded by Tomy in the thread about HiRom SRAM.
LooseCanonSam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't suppose removing the special characters from the ROM names makes any difference. I notice E.V.O. has periods and Aladdin has an apostrophe...
SkinnyV

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt as it seem to flash correctly if I remove the header...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: