ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating New RAM cards for Copiers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keyell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Creating New RAM cards for Copiers Reply with quote

Hello.

This morning I ripped apart my 16MB RAM card to identify how to create new cards for these copiers.

I created a schematic and basic board. The plan was to release this for free provided I can get some user feedback.

I think tototek also had a 64MB card. I might create that as well. I learned a lot about how my GD3 accesses memory from this project.

This leads me to ask. Do the RAM cards for the GD3 in my case work on all other Game Doctor-specific copiers? I've seen the GD3, GD5, and GD7 so far. I can only test on a GD3 as that is what I have.

I also have a Super UFO which uses a different type of RAM card. I might recreate that as well.

Screenshot_3.png
 Description:
GD3 16MB card
 Filesize:  44.75 KB
 Viewed:  9851 Time(s)

Screenshot_3.png

mrforever

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great project mate! Very Happy
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Creating New RAM cards for Copiers Reply with quote

Keyell wrote:
Hello.

This morning I ripped apart my 16MB RAM card to identify how to create new cards for these copiers.

I created a schematic and basic board. The plan was to release this for free provided I can get some user feedback.

I think tototek also had a 64MB card. I might create that as well. I learned a lot about how my GD3 accesses memory from this project.

This leads me to ask. Do the RAM cards for the GD3 in my case work on all other Game Doctor-specific copiers? I've seen the GD3, GD5, and GD7 so far. I can only test on a GD3 as that is what I have.

I also have a Super UFO which uses a different type of RAM card. I might recreate that as well.

Good job, we should do it for all the mem boards as there are many revisions between copiers. They're not that different, they usually use 4 or 8 bit DRAM, some use 74HC139 or 74HC138 demux, some even use GAL for addressing.

As for this 16MB board, it should work on the GDSF3, 6 and 7 models but not the previous GDSF1 and GDSF2.
Keyell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it took a while. I was busy with school.

I haven't verified this build physically although I can't see why it wouldn't work. It isn't my fanciest wire routing but this was definitely the most annoying thing to wire up. I ripped apart my own 16MB card to make this one. This was in my Game Doctor 3 but I believe it should work for GD5 and GD7 copiers.

Anyway, you take this Gerber zip file to some factory such as JLCPCB or PCBWAY and then get 4 DRAM and some decoupling capacitors. Well, the original back in the day didn't have them but you should probably add them.

NEC424800-10 was on mine. If someone wants to be nice and list compatible DRAMs I think a lot of people here would appreciate it.

For the female sockets. you will want your sockets to be about 8-8.5mm tall.
This means after the sockets are soldered to the card, it's around 8.5mm in height.

I could also make a 64MB card if there was any interest. My next plan is to try to make a copy of the Super UFO Pro RAM card.

16MB Gerber.zip
 Description:
Files required for production

Download
 Filename:  16MB Gerber.zip
 Filesize:  48.1 KB
 Downloaded:  272 Time(s)

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Compatible dram is basically 1mx8bit in soic 28 package. You can find those on eBay sometimes. Not sure is FPM is mandatory as I've seen some EDO on some GDSF7
Keyell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:
Thanks for that. Compatible dram is basically 1mx8bit in soic 28 package. You can find those on eBay sometimes. Not sure is FPM is mandatory as I've seen some EDO on some GDSF7

For a 64MB card I will begin soon but I've never designed a RAM adaptor (other than the one I posted above) and my knowledge of how DRAM works are sort of low.

I think the only type of DRAM that can work for 64MB cards is 4MBx4 type for 4 component footprints. I think the red card that used to be for sale here had the TC5117405CSJ-60? But it's hard to read it in photographs.

I need to know the other compatible RAMs for a 64MB card because when I post this card stuff on the net I want people to be able to DIY this stuff easily without too much trouble with very detailed instructions. I'm curious if the pinouts of other 4MBx4 type DRAMs will work in the same footprint as TC5117405CSJ-60 and this is assuming that is what is on the red RAM card. I actually can't tell very well. From the photos.

After GD3/6/7 RAM I will go to Super UFO. I don't want multiple copiers strawn open across my shelf Smile
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I took a couple of pics of a 64M Bung ram board. The last one shows the the vias below the caps. It shouldn't be too difficult to trace but if you need higher res, pm me.

64M_ram_board_A_small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.95 KB
 Viewed:  9689 Time(s)

64M_ram_board_A_small.jpg

64M_ram_board_B_small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.55 KB

64M_ram_board_B_small.jpg

64M_ram_board_C_small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.11 KB

64M_ram_board_C_small.jpg

Keyell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be enough. I'll work on it today and tomorrow.

just two more questions.

-Does this card register in the Game Doctor as 64MB or 32MB?

-What is the actual DRAM component name for this card you posted? Because I'm searching what is on the DRAM and can't find anything on the net.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is 32M as only 4x4MB X2 are populated but it makes it easier for tracing at least.
These ICs are EDO ram
Keyell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

I'll finish this today or tomorrow morning for sure. I'll probably order some sample cards and make a few to verify.
Keyell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An odd issue.

I have a 64MB card now and it registers only as 16MB inside my GD3. Is this a limitation of the GD3? This is even with the 'hidden stock' 16MB card removed and the 64MB card occupying either slot.

Anyway, here it is. It's electrically correct and I have made zero units to test as my GD3 would likely just register it as 16MB as it has so far. This is on 3.3C Bios also.

I will start working on the Super UFO Pro 6 card now. Previously mine came with 16MB and I desoldered some SIMM RAM from a $10 RAM card on ebay. Now it registers as 32MB totally fine.

If there is other copier hardware you realistically think I could make let me know.

64MB RAM gerber.zip
 Description:
64MB GD 6/7 card gerber file.

Download
 Filename:  64MB RAM gerber.zip
 Filesize:  44.74 KB
 Downloaded:  287 Time(s)

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Keyell, thanks a lot for your contribution!

There are quite a few different ram boards available for copiers, here I'll attach 2 that might be of use for most, especially the magicom one as it was used in many pro fighters and clones.

I noticed 2 slight mistakes concerning these GD ram boards:
On the GD3 ram board, you wrote down GD5 on the silkscreen which doesn't exist and it's compatible with GD3, GD6 and GD7
The GD7 64M board is compatible with the GD6 and GD7 only so that's why the GD3 is not able to see more, it's actually written on the GD3 silkscreen as pictured below.

I'll make a test run of your 64M board and will report my results.

I started to trace the SPFX ram board a while ago so I'll join my (messy) notes hoping it can help.

Code:

connector 40 pins ON TOP correspondance to chips CA-left and CB-right (RAM pins corresponding to the datasheet, no pins 7/8/21/22):

*CA15/CB15/CA28/CB28|*CA24/CB24|*CA06/CB06|*NC|*NC|*NC|*NC|*CA26|*CA02|*CA20/CB20|*CA18/CB18|*CA16/CB16|*CA12/CB12|*CA10/CB10|*NC|*NC|*NC|*NC|*CB26|*CB02|

*CA01/CB01/CA14/CB14|*CA04/CB04|*CA09/CB09|*NC|*NC|*NC|*NC|*CA27|*CA03|*CA23/CB23|*CA19/CB19|*CA17/CB17|*CA13/CB13|*CA11/CB11|*CA05/CB05|*CA25/CB25|*NC|*NC|*CB27|*CB03|

If you need tracing on the magicom board let me know, I always have them laying around.

spfx_mem_top.jpg
 Description:
PCB size: 55x43 (mm)
 Filesize:  148.03 KB
 Viewed:  9621 Time(s)

spfx_mem_top.jpg

spfx_mem_bottom.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  149.54 KB

spfx_mem_bottom.jpg

gd3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.98 KB

gd3.JPG

magicom_front.jpg
 Description:
PCB size: 76.3x55 (mm)
 Filesize:  142.13 KB

magicom_front.jpg

magicom_back.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.18 KB

magicom_back.jpg

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a Game Partner II (a GDSF7 clone) with these ram boards in it, one also uses 512kx8bit ICs, the other uses the much more common 1Mx4Bit.

Sorry for the quality of the pics but that should be enough for tracing.

16M_1Mx4Bit_front.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.27 KB
 Viewed:  9599 Time(s)

16M_1Mx4Bit_front.jpg

16M_1Mx4Bit_back.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.69 KB

16M_1Mx4Bit_back.jpg

16M_512KBx8Bit_front.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.67 KB

16M_512KBx8Bit_front.jpg

16M_512KBx8Bit_back.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.31 KB

16M_512KBx8Bit_back.jpg

ChickenNugget

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's schematic for dram card used in Super Magicom and Super Wild Card.
(and probably Supercom Pro and other clones)

This is "magicom_front.jpg", "magicom_back.jpg" in Mystic_Merlin's post above.

Note, Super Wild Card DX/DX2 use a different board with 4Mx4 chips and some 74xxxx logic chips.

dram_exp.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.09 KB
 Viewed:  9431 Time(s)

dram_exp.png

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those ChickenNugget.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: