ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken Professor SF (Doctor SF6)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abelardo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Broken Professor SF (Doctor SF6) Reply with quote

Hi,
I got this Professor SF from a friend, he told me that it got a virus from a disk (?), but anyways I got the unit, it was opened and had no floppy drive (this guy took it and used it on a computer), the unit has 2 16Mb modules. Here's what I've found out by testing the unit. If i try to put a working floppy drive I got this "Disk Error (WCM) !" thing and it hangs there, but when I remove the drive it starts with no errors. I did the Self Test and all seemed OK (a few times I got errors, but I reinseted the game I was trying to copy on the unit and the errors were gone), now when I try the Back Up Card option it gets stuck, sometimes I get some garbage on the screen (it looks like the self test is running but with garbage instead of letters) other times the screen just goes black, or sometimes just hangs on the Professor SF screen.
Now here's an interesting thing, I tried removing a 16Mb module and see if it worked, Self Test again was all OK so I tried the Back Up Card option and it worked, the screen showed a "No Disk Drive !" message but now I had a 8mbit game on the memory, so I try to play it (Play Game option) and sometimes I see the title screen and then I get a black screen or garbage on the screen and it hangs there, other times I just get a black screen, and there was one time when I got past the title screen but just for a little while, the I got the black screen again pretty soon. I tried switching the memory module for the other one and got the same results.
Another interesting thing is that when I try plugging the floppy drive I get a different Disk Error message when I use just 16Mb, now it says "Disk Error (RDST) !", I don't know if that matters.
Other thing, I don't know if it's wrong, but the Professor SF works without the power supply, I was looking of a power supply at my home and I tried different ones (ones that were 9v-12v), when I was trying them I could hear some noises so I don't know if I blew up something in the process, now I don't get any noises no matter wich power supply I try, but I think I found a suitable power source and that's what I've been using until now (12v 300mA center positive, I don't know if that's ok).
I haven't tried sending a game from a computer to the unit, I need to find the cable, it must be somewhere in my house, but even if I could send games from a computer I think they wouldn't work anyways, I'd be lucky if I just get past the title screen.
Any thoughts or comments are welcome, thank you.

Abelardo
eggba

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skake it gently, are there any loose parts inside? Open it, smell it, does ist smell burnt? Anything oooks suspisious ? Are there any fuses, are they broken?
Abelardo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
thanks for your reply, I got it working now, here's what happened, I tried everything that I could think of, then I thought maybe the power source was wrong so I went to robwebb to check how the source should be and found out that it was wrong all this time, so I inverted it and tried backing up some carts and yep, it worked, no more hangs or anything like that. Also I got the floppy to work, all I had to do was use an external power souce for it. Now the thing is that I can't close the case, I just have it opened there with the floppy connected to a cpu power supply, well, you can imagine... Now I need to find that cabe to sent the games directly from the computer to the gd6...

Abelardo
DjoeN

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfew, i got a few SF7 units tought all had bad floppy drives always got an error, but after i found out how to call the menu (hold right shoulder button when powering on) i could set the sf7 in english instead of chinees, when restarting i could read the damned error in english i got -> "Insert floppy disk"

Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: