ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super UFO Pro 8 SD?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Super UFO Pro 8 SD? Reply with quote

This is totally confusing...

I landed on that today:
http://www.swapmagic3.com/superufopro8/content.asp?id=7

Then I figured out it was mentioned 1 day ago on Assembler.
This thing also supports usb transfer and cart backup...I'll guess we'll see more vdos popping up soon, I'm very curious.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Super UFO Pro 8 SD? Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:
This is totally confusing...

I landed on that today:
http://www.swapmagic3.com/superufopro8/content.asp?id=7

Then I figured out it was mentioned 1 day ago on Assembler.
This thing also supports usb transfer and cart backup...I'll guess we'll see more vdos popping up soon, I'm very curious.

Perhaps the most interesting feature is that it claims to have support for special chip games such as FX, C4, BSX (Zelda, anyone?), and SA1 if you plug a cart on it's top. I love it's old school game copier-like GUI. I hope someone does a review soon. I just wish it support for more memory so you can save more than one game in memory, or games higher than 32mb.
amptor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to know if it really does do the special chips because I find that hard to believe. It's easy to print that on a box but where's the proof, all youtube videos don't show Razz Not to be too skeptical but it is somewhat far fetched for the price.

The sd2snes cart does everything and more. 64 gigabyte flashram support and games literally stream off of it.

Arb, 64 gigabytes grab you well enough? Smile

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered one from Tommy as I noticed he had a few.

There's no way the device "supports" special chips, you can be sure it's just a path through adapter. We're used to those gimmicks in the East Wink

This company seems also to be making a similar portable SNES as Hyperkin did, less bulky and cheaper apparently.
vectrex

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ordered mine some days ago ... hope it arrives soon ... reason for ordering was the oldschool GUI Wink
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently it's a hardware clone of the Super UFO 8, with modified/hacked bios for extra features. I fully expect the specs printed in materials to be a translation error from Chinese to English. It is impossible to simply plug in a Super FX chip game and expect it to allow you to run Super FX ROM images. It just doesn't work the same way DSP works.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vectrex wrote:
i ordered mine some days ago ... hope it arrives soon ... reason for ordering was the oldschool GUI Wink

let us know how it works. i hope you have some fx/c4/sa1/etc special chip carts to test!
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trenton_net wrote:
Apparently it's a hardware clone of the Super UFO 8, with modified/hacked bios for extra features. I fully expect the specs printed in materials to be a translation error from Chinese to English. It is impossible to simply plug in a Super FX chip game and expect it to allow you to run Super FX ROM images. It just doesn't work the same way DSP works.

Agree.

Hardware being completely different, I guess there's not much left in common with the original 8.8C. They probably had the original source and updated the GUI to save some work.

Have you noticed all those fake comments on www.superufo.com product reviews? That's counterproductive to say the least!
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:

Agree.

Hardware being completely different, I guess there's not much left in common with the original 8.8C. They probably had the original source and updated the GUI to save some work.

Have you noticed all those fake comments on www.superufo.com product reviews? That's counterproductive to say the least!

My speculation is, is that the hardware is likely very similar to the original copier in design. All you really need is extra provisions for using SD cards instead of a floppy drive and added USB support for transfers. Yes, the reviews don't seem to offer a whole lot of confidence. Embarassed

To be perfectly frank, this device really doesn't offer much anything in the way of features compared to other devices (Except for the dumping option). Because it copies the Super UFO 8, it's likely to have the same restrictions and limitations the base copier had. In addition, I would expect support would be sketchy at best. For the coin, you would be far better off going with the Everdrive or SD2SNES which are both actively supported and built from the ground up. Unlike other devices, the developers are active on the forums they frequent and offer far superior support and fixes for people.

Last edited by Trenton_net on Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
gogo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

It's not their first attempt ! , here's a scan of the original ufo pro 8 manual :

In 2002 , i ordered at success hk one of their last super ufo pro 8 , and it didn't feel quality ...(especially a lot of dram timing issue with pal snes )
i think ufo's older versions (pro 6,7) was more reliable .

however, I don't own snes flash card and i like the oldschool GUI so i might be tempted...

Please , leave your comments after testing !

Trenton_net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to find out if any kind of long-filename support was added in or not. I'd also be interested in learning if ROM splitting is still enforced to simulate how the floppy drive system previously worked. To me, these are pretty big deal-breakers especially when many of us already have real Super UFO drives.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am not counting on anything beyond DSP chip support, but I really like the oldschool GUI as opposed to a plain text based menu. Maybe carts for other systems could be made (I desparately want a gameboy/gbc cart with SD support)
amptor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGB_Gamer wrote:
I for one am not counting on anything beyond DSP chip support, but I really like the oldschool GUI as opposed to a plain text based menu. Maybe carts for other systems could be made (I desparately want a gameboy/gbc cart with SD support)

I agree with this post. I was surprised by it having a nice looking GUI as well. This device looks like it could be a relevant replacement for SWC DX and Smart Bros. to me as well as the previous Super UFO series which have a nice GUI as well and aren't necessarily as highly regarded backup units. Gamars had it as well as far as I remember.

I'd say the most sought after backup units are smart bros, swc dx, and swc dx2 but they are all floppy based and smart bros has no parallel port (though... neither do our modern computers these days lol!) USB and/or external flashram is the way to go now. I found that you even need an old o/s to properly copy games onto floppy disk which isn't very desirable.

madman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the backup functionality, I see no need to buy one of these over the existing products like the snes powerpak or sd2snes. The UI is pretty cool and I'll be interested in hearing how it works when some of you guys get yours. I downloaded the manual but it didn't provide a lot of information. I'm also not holding out much hope for the chip games beyond DSP.
system64

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old news, I have such a setup since two years now Wink

SuperUFO 8 + SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: