ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super UFO Pro 8 SD?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only prob with NOAC based system is compatibility, and lack of RGB video output (RGB is far superior than composite video). I do agree that for that those that don't care about RGB, that having an all in one NOAC + flash memory/sd card reader built in would be awesome (especially if it was a portable system).
MottZilla

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SNES on a Chip clones apparently fair better than the NES do to the actual circuitry of the system. It would be interesting to see a SNES clone with built in Flash Cart. Even if it were like a Super UFO SD built-in to the console it would be appealing, if the price were right, though definitely I think S-Video and RGB video output should be there.
madman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would the point of building a SNES clone with a built in flash cart be? It would raise the cost of the unit and presumably anyone interested in a flash cart already has a SNES.
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, does anyone actually have one of these yet? I would be interested to learn if it supported long filenames or not.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman wrote:
What would the point of building a SNES clone with a built in flash cart be? It would raise the cost of the unit and presumably anyone interested in a flash cart already has a SNES.

A good point, however there are people that might buy a SNES (afterall people DO buy the clones) and if it included the ability to throw games on a SD card that would be a big selling point. But personally I'll stick with official consoles. Clones just never live up quality wise.
madman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
madman wrote:

A good point, however there are people that might buy a SNES (afterall people DO buy the clones) and if it included the ability to throw games on a SD card that would be a big selling point. But personally I'll stick with official consoles. Clones just never live up quality wise.

Exactly. A SNES can be had dirt cheap these days and you know it will be 100% compatible since it's the real hardware. I admit the idea of a clone with a SD cart slot would be an interesting concept, but the reality is it's not as good as the real thing.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I receive mine today, thanks to Tomy for the package Wink

I'm just gonna make a quick overview as I haven't much time to spend on it at the moment.
Overall the unit is nice and small. A bit heavy but you'll soon know why...
It performs as expected, I guess.
It loads a 32M game in 28s and dump one in 56s, not sure if it's any faster than the Super Everdrive.
In terms of compatibility it runs most of the roms I threw at it including hacks BUT it seems not to like trained roms, probably for their unconventional headers. DSP games work as mentionned when you insert a DSP cart on top but I have no other special cart to try out.
It truncates long filenames and does not support zip files (nor MP3...yes I tried Wink )
Once again I spent very little time testing it so I'm sure more incompatibilities will be revealed soon.

One of the feature I was mostly interested in was the usb transfer for real time testing on the hardware. Unfortunately it seems Win7x64 does not authorize unsigned drivers to be installed. I'm not willing to tweak my current OS so I'll try from an XP machine later on.

I've got all the original UFO but the UFO Pro 8 so I wouldn't be able to compare but I'm convinced it's basically the same with SD and usb support (was this weird Robocop music theme in the original v8.8?)

On a last note I hope to see more firmware updates but so far the manual states that you need to piggy back the device on another one to bring up the fw dump menu???

Here comes the pics. I didn't bother to post snapshots of the screen, you'll find some on the manufacturer's website.

Another downside : my cart smells burnt plastic and I'm not sure if the U2 component is defective or not but it sures does not look good.

So now you may want to know what's heavy on this cart? The battery!
This is quite a weird and obviously wrong design to use 2 batteries but I guess the NiMH are there for nostalgia purpose only? Razz
Panne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i Received my super UFO yesterday. I don't Know what im doing wrong but the DRAM of the Device seems to have some Problems. If i reset the Game Through the console, all i get is a Black screen. When i Start a Game in hyper Mode, so i can use savestates the Game glitches when i Save/reload. Sprite Bugs etc... And when i Wang to use the Backup Feature to Transfer DRAM to sd, the Device Shows up the .SMc but it does Not copy Anything at all......

Anyone experiencing similar Problems ???
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know why they have both a Lithium Coin battery and a NiMH battery in it. That makes no sense.

Last edited by MottZilla on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
I'd like to know what they have both a Lithium Coin battery and a NiMH battery in it. That makes no sense.

Maybe for some legacy issue with the older v8.8 design? Obviously the NiMh is only for the SRAM.

Panne wrote:
Hi, i Received my super UFO yesterday. I don't Know what im doing wrong but the DRAM of the Device seems to have some Problems. If i reset the Game Through the console, all i get is a Black screen. When i Start a Game in hyper Mode, so i can use savestates the Game glitches when i Save/reload. Sprite Bugs etc... And when i Wang to use the Backup Feature to Transfer DRAM to sd, the Device Shows up the .SMc but it does Not copy Anything at all......

Anyone experiencing similar Problems ???

No problem with reset here but I do get a black screen from time to time when power on/off, maybe some remaining data in the DRAM after switch off.
Hyper mode has always been buggy and as far as I tested it works exactly the same way as previous copiers on this one: glitches, unsync music...
To copy a cart or save anything you need to press START once you're in the folder you want to save in, I guess you knew that but just making sure...
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then what would the lithium battery be for?
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
Then what would the lithium battery be for?

DRAM, since you don't have power connected to the copier like a traditional unit.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems kind of silly, I wonder how long the battery will last.
amptor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it wouldn't need batteries and have everything solid state. So it has BRAM on one side and DRAM on the other so you can keep your BRAM data as well as the last ROM loaded right? Rediculous if you ask me. It should have the BRAM solid state save to the SD card and the DRAM personally who cares, just load the game again like a normal person Smile

So I see the whole edge connector there for the CX4 chip games which you'll need to plug the original in. It's basically going to pass through so you might as well be launching the cart that is plugged into it. That is, until further review.

Nice write up. If I get one I'll let you guys know if it works with special chip games but at this point I don't see any proof that it does besides mentioned CX4 above.

In the meantime I should get my special chip games out again some time and post what I have. One of them is SA-1 factory sealed Power Rangers Zeo Battle Racer. no point in ever unboxing that one since it is sealed and SA-1 exists in plenty other american titles that I have unboxed already Smile

If this device actually did do all the special chip games, the $89 price point would definitely be a cheap bargain price Smile

madman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because it has a battery doesn't mean it's not solid state. If the BRAM did a "solid state save" to the SD card, you would need to load your BRAM each time you start up the unit. Traditional copiers didn't require this and used either batteries or a capacitor to power the static RAM chips. Why would you want less functionality on a newer product than was available on older products?

As for the longevity, it looks like a CR2032, the same battery in the N64 Controller Paks. I've still got my original paks from the mid 90s and the saves are still functional on there. The SRAM chip used is a lower power version so I suspect you'll get a long life out of the battery and worst case scenario it'll only take a couple mins to change the battery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: