ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Magic Drive, SMD-800 24M, what would it be worth?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amptor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I somewhat agree here, people don't always throw out a number for what they want. But I also realize that this isn't the sales forum, rather it is the Copiers and Hardware forum so he wasn't exactly necessarily trying to sell it.

I also agree that possibly it could be for the collector due to fact that flash carts are available at certain prices.

The last time I purchased a backup unit (floppy based) was purely for nostalgia factor. Otherwise if I was younger, I would not understand the necessity of it and just grab up a flash cart.

And speaking of which. I'm not sure why that device doesn't work but I'll work on it more when I get home. One of my biggest problems about these devices is the age. Nothing lasts forever (unless it is made out of diamond). Electronics you're lucky if you're still using it after 3 years.

I had a guy from Eurasia that wanted to buy some flash carts that I assembled many years ago and he got annoyed at the price I wanted (I based it on the amount of time I put in as well as the cost of the parts to assemble). Stating that it was "used electronics", he attempted to talk down the price considerably before just becoming upset and leaving the discussion. But sometimes it's like, if you built it then there's value in your time. But if you didn't build it you have to realize that the price may just be whatever you end up getting it sold for. How used was the flash cart I wasn't even really offering for sale anyway? I probably flashed it a few times to make sure it worked. I guess once something is custom built, then it is automatically considerably aged and used up? lol. But I guess I shouldn't rant about scene, those guys I kinda swept under the rug over a period of time to keep things brief. I would have to start a whole other thread about my thoughts on all of that.

And that kind of reminds me, I saw this guy selling an N64 backup on here for $50 months ago. I asked if I could buy it and he disappeared. Months passed and then I saw it up for sale again. Someone else bought it, modified it, and then put it back up for sale for a lot more money. LOL come on, guys Smile Anyway, good thing I have flash cart now Wink

bootyhuntah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: I have some thoughts.... Reply with quote

I can see some of the points you're making in your last post amptor. I'm not talking about you selling the flashcarts you made, I'm talking about the stuff you said at the end.
A great example of people buying stuff and reselling it, to take someone's head off with the price.....eBay. eBay used to be a decent place where you could get fair prices about 8 years ago. Now it seems as though the "power sellers" are bidding and winning stuff in the last 3 seconds of the auction. In turn, they are buying the item just to re-list it. This is bad in itself, because most of the other bidders are bidding to own and use the items. To top it all off, they price the item for a high "buy it now" price, or they do a "no-reserve" auction where they know they'll make a profit. The chance of winning an auction for a fair price, due to shit like this, has essentially disappeared! My point is a regular, non-power seller, could have got a decent buy to begin with, but instead the power seller bought the item, knowing they are going to sell it, and this practice perpetuates high costs. eBay is in business to make money, so they aren't regulating crap like this, but they should. I can guarantee you that if you weren't allowed to sell an item of the same model/make for 6 months after you had bought that same type of item in any eBay sale, you would see decent deals coming back into the picture.

I don't know what you meant by distancing yourself from "scene." I want to assume that "scene" was a typo and you meant 'the scene.' I know one thing, I'm so glad Igor (Everdrive Fame) has made flashcards that are modern and effective, just so I don't have to deal with retarded "scene" collectors and "scene" gamers who think eBay is some kind of value guide. In a way it is a value guide, but who's value guide is the question? I would say it's a value guide for people who don't know any better, don't want to shop around, can't find the items, and don't mind paying more than what it's worth. I just don't fit that profile. I only fit part of that profile; I can't find the items at retail/garage sales. So when I tried to distance myself from eBay, I started going to "Wanted to Sell" threads in various forums, and tried to deal with some of these "scene" characters. Guess what I encountered? People selling with the same prices as closed eBay auctions. I tried quite a few times to work out a better deal, just to get responses about eBay prices, and how their price is justified because it's close to eBay prices.

In all honesty, I'm not a collector of games, only hardware, so I think it's absurd what people ask for old games, like Mega Man for instance. This attitude has caught on like wild fire! It has even gone to the Far East, where eBay sellers in those Countries are trying to feed their families for months, by selling a console they bought for less than $20 US Dollars at the local electronic market. I know people makes jokes all the time about Jewish people, but I have to say, Jews got a bad rap, the Japanese have them beat. eBay used to be a God-send, but now it's the devil, and Satan must be residing in Japan. I just hope the market drops out of "retro" consoles and "retro" games, and power sellers/collectors get hit hard, so that honest buyers, like myself, can get a decent price every now-and-then. Does anyone know what I'm talking about here?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we know. It may be related to hard economic times. It could just be a fad. Eventually the market hopefully should go down. But it is hard to tell sense often markets do not make logical sense.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to buy the super magic drive. I gave an offer, but the original poster never denied nor accepted it, so I just want a price...
Mario64

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pay 200 if the guy sells it
DoctorBackup

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of you would be surprised if you go on asian/eastern AUCTION websites and see the current value of these old units actually is. Not sites like gamedoctor.hk this item really isn't that rare other than it is 32m but even that isn't that remarkable due to the size of md/gen games. Collectors will pay the most but with all the flash carts nowadays old school copiers are depreciating by them minute. With no box, no instructions, and floppy drive that's not working it wouldn't even sell in the far east at a local game shop for no more than 15.00 than 35.00usd because it not working 100%. But being sold here in the USA/western World is another story. Its really not worth more than 50.00 to 75.00usd since floppy drive has a problem (which is could be a easy fix but some don't know how to do things like that and who knows what the real issue is with the floppy drive.) Now Unfortunately in your case when someone can go buy a new flash cart that is still being technically supported with software/firmware updates one will find it very easy to buy a newer flash cart rather than buy a older copier which is going to need work and a possibly new floppy drive all together that is NOT a standard pc floppy drive. Good luck selling this unit and RGB gamer is a good guy and I bet RGB gamer's offer was reasonable as I have done many transactions with him and he is a honest and a fair individual.

Last edited by DoctorBackup on Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I am not the only one who is interested in this. I presented the same argument about flash carts, and the fact this has a faulty disk drive, and not only did I get a response saying the drive issue was an easy fix (which seemed to imply that the disk drive issue did not decrease the value) , but the original poster of this thread still has yet to provide me a response. I think lije a lot of people who sell these kind of items, the original poster's sentimental value of his SMD may exceed actual value.

I am not familiar with which eastern auction sites are good for these items...
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish the original poster could just sell me this
Mario64

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will buy it if you PM me. And I will make you a very fair offer Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: