ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic CD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Magic CD Reply with quote

Here is a Boot CD I made for my personal use. I thought I would add a few things and share it.
I mostly use it to transfer roms from different PCs or do some conversions.
Since most oldskool softwares are based on DOS I thought it would be the easiest thing to do.

It is based on Necromancer's Dos Navigator which is some kind of Norton Commander with a lot more advanced features including Long Filenames support, multiple windows, extended macros, regexp...more info on there: http://ndn.muxe.com/
Basically it acts as a custom frontend for the DOS version of Ucon64 and some other softwares.
I haven't done anything special, only some custom scripts and shell extensions. The hardest thing was to find the proper syntax as all the docs I found were in Russian.

I believe it can be of help for all the people having issues configuring Ucon64 on modern OSes or for people willing to dedicate a laptop for rom transfer. You can't beat DOS boot up in terms of speed Wink

What's in v0.1:
- DOS 7.1 with Long Filename support
- CD and mouse driver
- FDread for 1.6M floppy support
- Various DOS softwares
- I also included the SDI/MDI tools provided by Sledge Wink
- Some PD roms for testing

If you use a software like MagicISO you can put some roms on the CD but you'd rather store them on the HDD if available.

It's very incomplete compared to all the functions provided by Ucon64 and probably even MD-PRO could be supported.

I haven't done extended testing so please let me know if you're having some issues.
For now I've just used it with my SWC, my SPFQ and my GDSF3. Tested on 2 different computers.

Here's the link:
http://www.4shared.com/file/hxETYeDe/mcd01_boot.html

Not sure I'll update it. Also it's really easy to DIY and make a custom boot CD based on it.

IMG_0125.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.46 KB
 Viewed:  3728 Time(s)

IMG_0125.JPG

system64

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting work. This could be a handy tool for all people who don't want to mess around with Dos Box.

Do you support usb floppys and usb flash drives?
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

system64 wrote:
Do you support usb floppys and usb flash drives?

This could be added although most of the dos USB mass storage drivers I tried in the past never worked too well.

I mostly had my "old hardwares" in mind when I did this. "Old" as not too old as it can actually boot from a CD but still has a parallel port and a floppy disk drive. Anything ranging from a pentium II to a pentium IV or equivalent should work.

I'm not even sure my K6 can boot on CD Laughing

I haven't thought of storing the roms on a USB drive once again coz of the numerous incompatibilities but it could be a good idea if it worked as you could make conversions/saves directly on it.
As of now all these operations are done on a virtual ram drive.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will test this on my Dell C800 P3 laptop. I would like to see updates some day.
Koji

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Merlin!.

The SMD_hires folder pics are great too. I wish there were some photos like that for the regular Super Pro Fighter Q.

Thanks for sharing.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@RGB_Gamer
I haven't done much updates since the release more than a year ago but I could add some more shell extensions / options if some pple are interested.
Leave your feedback.

@Koji
I did take hires pics of my SPFQ but I can only find the edited one I did for an article I wrote in a French mag 2 years ago.

If I find the original without the overlay and the back pcb shot, I'll let you know Wink

PFQ_PCB.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  935.21 KB
 Viewed:  3088 Time(s)

PFQ_PCB.jpg

RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can add the MGD1 and FDSLoadr command line tools?
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, maybe add an option to be able to view the contents or zip/rar files?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: