ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Magic Drive, SMD-800 24M, what would it be worth?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdinjens

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Super Magic Drive, SMD-800 24M, what would it be worth? Reply with quote

Hey there!

I've been busy selling my collection of oldskool consoles and copiers. Most of the items were pretty clearcut, but I also have one SMD-800 with 24M, which is probably worth a bit more than the usual consoles.

Anybody have an idea what it might be worth?

Thanks in advance!
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it working? Is it boxed/complete? These are important factors. A working SMD 24M is probably worth at the very least $150USD. If it's in really nice condition, has the box and or manual, it would be worth more. I think a good working SMD 24M without the box or manual but not missing anything and no damage only light wear you could get $200USD or more from a collector, with box and manual maybe a whole lot more. It all depends on the condition and if you can find that buyer.

Unfortunately these days devices like the EverDrive MD have killed demand for the SMD and Double Pro Fighter for gamers. So you main market is collectors.
sdinjens

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's in pretty good condition I'd say. We took great care of it, keeping it out of dust in storage etc. No box or manual, but works like a charm (tested all functions recently, still going strong). The only drawback is that the external floppy drive recently fizzled while testing. Wrong adapter, stupid mistake. But that should be easy to come by.

Does that help to narrow down the estimate? Given your story, I'd say about 150USD?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you fix the floppy drive and the system is fully working again, I'd think you could get atleast $150USD. I base this off the somewhat more common Double Pro Fighter and what it seems to go for. The SMD is less common and I think perceived to be built better. However it isn't as common to be able to upgrade the memory from 24M to 32M but that's beside the point really. Should you sell it, I wouldn't advise taking less than $150USD because if it's in working and good shape it's worth atleast that. Given the less common nature, particularly off the 24M model maybe $200USD wouldn't be too crazy. But as with all sales, other factors will affect the price.

I own a Double Pro Fighter 32M myself. It is obsolete since I have a EverDrive MD, but I never sold it because while I paid around $175USD for it I felt it was too much trouble to try to sell it and it's a neat item to have in my collection I suppose.
madman

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SMD is more sought after than the DPF is, for sure. I'd agree w/Mott's assessment, the floppy drive probably just needs the power regulator replaced. The 32m SMD is quite rare, I've only ever seen one other than the one that I own. And really not needed as I believe 99% of the MD/GEN games are 24m or under.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually investigated game ROM sizes and you're right. Very few games are larger than 24M anyway. Of those that are maybe a handful of games you might want to play. I did so back when the MegaCart was the latest Flash Cart and its main limit was the 24Mbit ROM size when flashed from the Sega CD itself.

I know there is Mortal Kombat 3, Ultimate MK3, Super Street Fighter II, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, X-perts, Saturday Night Slam Masters, Jurassic Park 2, Virtua Fighter 2. There may be a few others. I don't think any of those games are rare or expensive.
madman

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds about right. I think even the overall amount of 24mbit Genesis games is pretty small as well, comparatively speaking to the >16m games for the SNES that is. In either case, mostly for collectors these days or those who need to dump games. I have an everdrive that I use for day to day gaming, but still keep my boxed 24m MD+ and my 32m SMD because they're just cool Smile I like the looks of the SMD, it looks like an actual Genesis accessory, but the built in floppy of the MD+ makes it much more useable IMO.I've also owned DPFs and MGHs but found them too bulky.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of the above. Yet since the original poster says the floppy drive may not be working (which is different from other copiers since it isn't as easy as getting a regular floppy drive), the value of this particular SMD may be significantly less. Sure, you send games to it via parallel port, but since the SMD is at this point in time (due to flash carts making copiers obsolete) is almost strictly a collector's item (I also have an SMD+, but I use a flash cart), most collectors want a fully functioning unit.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he has the drive, it just died. That's significantly better than not having it at all. Having it means it can likely be repaired and restored to full working order.
madman

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGB_Gamer wrote:
I agree with all of the above. Yet since the original poster says the floppy drive may not be working (which is different from other copiers since it isn't as easy as getting a regular floppy drive), the value of this particular SMD may be significantly less. Sure, you send games to it via parallel port, but since the SMD is at this point in time (due to flash carts making copiers obsolete) is almost strictly a collector's item (I also have an SMD+, but I use a flash cart), most collectors want a fully functioning unit.

The floppy drive itself can be replaced easily. He has the enclosure. If he hooked up the wrong power supply, he likely just fried the regulator on the drive's PCB. I realize you have no idea what that means, though.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing a regulator is pretty easy too. And I can't imagine it'd cost more than a few bucks to get the replacement part.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Magic Drive, SMD-800 24M, what would it be worth? Reply with quote

sdinjens wrote:
Hey there!

I've been busy selling my collection of oldskool consoles and copiers. Most of the items were pretty clearcut, but I also have one SMD-800 with 24M, which is probably worth a bit more than the usual consoles.

Anybody have an idea what it might be worth?

Thanks in advance!

Check your PM box please...
amptor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman wrote:
RGB_Gamer wrote:

The floppy drive itself can be replaced easily. He has the enclosure. If he hooked up the wrong power supply, he likely just fried the regulator on the drive's PCB. I realize you have no idea what that means, though.

Omg u are still so mean to rgb gamer =.=" guys should lighten up Smile

A friend of mine emailed me the other day looking for a modified NEC floppy drive for his key board. All mine are Mitsumi and maybe some Sony. At least these copiers didn't need some crazy modified firmware inside the friggin drive. That would have been terrible.

One problem is though sometimes the specification on floppy drives changes due to the chipsets in modern motherboards (I guess they had them only up to core2duo) and then if you try to use the modern floppy in older hardware, it won't work without some tweaking.

I forget for sure, but I don't think anyone makes floppy disk media any more. Wasn't this discussed before they stopped making VHS tapes? God VHS.... those thing stretch and are no good for archival media at all :/ I kinda wish there was a better standard for tape to begin with because various platforms are hit and miss. I remember backing up DC2120 all the time. They even sold them at costco. Ugh..what a nightmare.

sdinjens

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Dear RGB_Gamer, I'm afraid it's not available anymore.

Following the conversation here I decided to put it in storage rather than sell immediately. I was (and am) taken aback by the fact that you were clearly interested with so many PMs, and at the same time you were talking down the price here. You never offered me what you feel is a fair price. I may not have known the monetary value, but I know this is not the type of negotiation I prefer.

It's your fair right to use my ignorance for a sweet deal. But I'm no dealer, I just want a good home for my toys for a fair price.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdinjens wrote:
Quote:

Dear RGB_Gamer, I'm afraid it's not available anymore.

Following the conversation here I decided to put it in storage rather than sell immediately. I was (and am) taken aback by the fact that you were clearly interested with so many PMs, and at the same time you were talking down the price here. You never offered me what you feel is a fair price. I may not have known the monetary value, but I know this is not the type of negotiation I prefer.

It's your fair right to use my ignorance for a sweet deal. But I'm no dealer, I just want a good home for my toys for a fair price.

I didnt mean to offend you and if I did, I appoligize. I gave you an offer basedat y on the condition of your unit and what I think is fair. These kind of items really only appeal to a serious collector like myself due to the availability of flash carts (believe me, it seems difficult for me and others to sell them). Rather than asking others how much it is worth to them, why not make me an offer based on what YOU think it is worth to YOU?

I understand if you dont want to sell it and have it sit in storage...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: