ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hacked versions or Carbon copies?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> NES/Famicom Disk System Hardware Info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Hacked versions or Carbon copies? Reply with quote

I got a few FDS disks at a local flea market last week end and was expecting them no to run on my standard Famicom Twin.
Indeed they're all pirates and some of them like the Gyruss one clearly states "DISK FOR MAGIC CARD OR GAME DOCTOR".
(Sorry for the quality of the pic)

All the ones on the left side of the pic actually do run. I didn't play much but everything seems to work fine.
The wrestling game runs but throws some garbage gfx after the loading screen.
I'm not too familiar with this system but I thought those pirate versions where actually hacked to used custom mappers made by FFE and other copier manufacturers. So how come they can run without it?

The other disks are mostly throwing ERR.27 so I'm not sure if the disks are corrupted, protected, missing the GAME DOCTOR...but since I recently changed the belt on this drive and some of these disks are working fine, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to adjust the heads.

Waiting for some expert recommendations on this one Wink
MottZilla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The games that require a Game Doctor won't load in-game. They do all the loading at the beginning. I think you just have pirate copies of legit FDS games.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming there are indeed pirate FDS disks that run without additional device. Playing around with the drive I got 4 more to load up with this Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic being pretty fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> NES/Famicom Disk System Hardware Info All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: