ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ucon64 parallel rom transfer to GD7 questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coffinspired

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Ucon64 parallel rom transfer to GD7 questions Reply with quote

Hey all,

I read over the forums about this but didn't seem to find any solutions to the issues that I am having. I'd be very happy to figure out what is wrong.
I've read the FAQ. It's actually very vague and doesn't really help here.

I have Ucon64 set up with the GUI (UF_FOX?) and I am trying to send roms to my GD7 via the parallel port. When I turn on the GD7 it says "LINKING" in the right hand corner, I get Ucon64 opened up, select "GD3" in the transfer area, then send, I choose the file and it crashes, every time.

"Waiting for output...."
"Ucon64 has encountered a problem and needs to close".

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what might be the problem?
RealTimeSave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your LPT port settings. They may have coded it to work on standard LPT1 com port 7 (how I can remember this setting, who knows. My PC doesn't even have a printer port on it). i/o x378h (I had to look that up)

Also if you are using USB to parallel port adapter those don't work with copiers. I assume that you aren't using one of those.

anyway try those settings and see if they work. also the command line version of this program probably allows you to use different lpt port settings I would imagine. I don't recall if I ever used a GUI or not. It could be handy but normally I deal with just a handful of roms at most so I just use command line.

Try the program from command line to send one file to the copier too. Who knows, maybe it won't work there either and then you will have to troubleshoot your hardware.

I think for copiers I was using a bidirectional parallel port cable. It has been so long I don't remember specifically the type of cable that works with them.

Coffinspired

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am not really sure how to change these settings you described, I've never used a parallel port before. I will do a web search on how to do that and post back.
As far as hardware, I am not using a USB/parallel adapter, just a straight up cable, it's an old 1GB laptop. As far as command line, I don't know how to use Ucon64 that way, a friend helped install it and I have only ever used the GUI. I'm pretty much a noob with this.
Has anyone had any success in transferring a file to a GD7 with Ucon64 in the past? Maybe I just missed a step in setting things up?
Coffinspired

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping with update. I checked the port settings and they were set to LPT1. I have a standard parallel cable that was working in it's previous use just fine. Powering on the GD7 it just says "linking" and Ucon64 keeps crashing, I've tried a variety of roms.

Kinda stonewalled here, anyone's help would be appreciated-
RealTimeSave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is difficult to address IT related issues without the equipment right in front of me. It could be any number of things, ranging from the program being poorly coded (most probable case) to the operating system you are using to the type of cable you are plugging into the parallel port.

I would try to find a desktop with whatever is the oldest version of windows that program is compatible with and try on that. If it is not available, check and see what the system requirements are for the software. That may not be written in any documentation though.

Personally I would use the command line version if the GUI isn't working or find a different program that is compatible with the GDSF7 such as maybe snestool is I'm not sure. It has been a long time since I owned a GDSF7. I don't really like Bung products for the most part so I sold most of mine long ago.

Coffinspired wrote:
Bumping with update. I checked the port settings and they were set to LPT1. I have a standard parallel cable that was working in it's previous use just fine. Powering on the GD7 it just says "linking" and Ucon64 keeps crashing, I've tried a variety of roms.

Kinda stonewalled here, anyone's help would be appreciated-

Coffinspired

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've changed the cable, used a different machine now, (winXP Pro 32 bit) the latest Ucon64 and no change at all. Can anyone here give me a hand that knows how to do this? It can't be this difficult. Shocked
RealTimeSave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffinspired wrote:
I've changed the cable, used a different machine now, (winXP Pro 32 bit) the latest Ucon64 and no change at all. Can anyone here give me a hand that knows how to do this? It can't be this difficult. Shocked

I would easily at this point say to get a swc dx because it is a better device Smile but I don't remember using the parallel port on the gdsf7 at all when I owned one. isn't there another program that you can use? I don't even remember using windows xp with copiers, you might want to try windows 98 instead. I remember transferring to copiers mostly under ms-dos based operating systems which windows xp isn't. you might be running into some plug and play issues with that o/s.

DoctorBackup

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use uCON64 without gui (command line) WInXP. Doesnt work on newer OS's
RealTimeSave

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use ucon64 sometimes to modify rom files under windows 7 64-bit and it works fine. but I haven't tried to run anything through parallel port. I think one of these computers on my desk has a parallel port and windows 7 32-bit installed.
Coffinspired

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoctorBackup wrote:
I use uCON64 without gui (command line) WInXP. Doesnt work on newer OS's

DoctorBackup, can you give me a little more information on this?
I'm not sure how to use Ucon64 via command line.

Can anyone verify my question of what should be on screen when the GD7 is connected to a PC? Does it say "LINKING" or "LINKED"?

I'd really like to use this feature!
LilJoe

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ucon64 parallel rom transfer to GD7 questions Reply with quote

Coffinspired wrote:

When I turn on the GD7 it says "LINKING" in the right hand corner, I get Ucon64 opened up, select "GD3" in the transfer area, then send, I choose the file and it crashes, every time.

In Ucon64, try using the option "GD6" instead of "GD3" when sending to see if that works.
DoctorBackup

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: ucon64 Reply with quote

On cherryroms years and years ago I made a walkthrough on how to install uCON64 and transfer. My name then was GameCopierUser0666. I did the testing to get the V64jr to work with uCON64. You can still search Google for my old name and find lots of info for copiers from way back. Doubt link still work

GameCopierUser0666 wrote:
Some people just need it explained differently to figure it out. I had problems figuring it out as I literally had to have "dbjh" (uCON64 developer) walk me through it. I will make this a step by step SIMPLE solution for windows users to atleast get uCON64 running fairly easy to atleast convert files from .smc format to sfxxxx (Game Doctor format.) Once you become familar with how it works you can set it up the way you like it. This is a simple way that I have helped several people to get uCON64 running. THe Faq file can be confusing due to alot of info all at once. I decided to write a step by step guide to get ucon64 running from the desktop on a windows computer by expaining a easy way to set it up, step-by-step
*Listed by Steps*
#1 Download the file http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/ucon64/ucon64-1.9.8-4-win32-... to your DESKTOP.
#2 Create a new folder on your Desktop called "GDSF7"
#4 Double click the uCON64 ZIP icon on your desktop that you just downloaded called "ucon64-1.9.8-4-win32-mingw-bin.zip"
#5 Now, since you double clicked the "ucon64-1.9.8-4-win32-mingw-bin.zip" you can now uncompress the file. Whichever unzipping program you are using unzip the program to your desktop.
#6 Now you should have a new Folder on your desktop called "ucon64-1.9.8-4-win32-mingw-bin"....Please Double Click this folder.
#7 Now you should be inside the "ucon64-1.9.8-4-win32-mingw-bin" folder and you might see another folder exactly the same called "ucon64-1.9.8-4-win32-mingw-bin". If you have the folder inside a folder Double click on the second folder as well.
#8 Now you should see a 14 icons named "Changes" (HTML document), "Developers" (HTML Document), "Discmage.dll", "Faq File" (HTML Document), "FILE_ID" (Diz File), hardware (HTML Document), inpout32.dll, install, io.dll, license (HTML Document), readme (HTML Document), ucon64 (This is the uCON64 exe file), UserPort.zip, and "VERSION".
#9 Now right click all the icons and choose"Copy" all the icons listed above in the #8 instructions in the "ucon64-1.9.8-4-win32-mingw-bin" folder and "PASTE" them in the folder on your deskyop we made in step #2
#10 Now in your folder we created on your desktop called GDSF7 you should now have everyting exactly that was included in the uCON64 download.
#11 Now in the bottom left hand corner of Windows you will see a "Start" icon/button. Single click this icon and then select the "RUN" link. The "RUN"is in WinXP is located next to the "Help and Support Section" and "Search" links. CLICK THE RUN LINK!
#12 Now in the RUN window type "command" and a small black window called "C:\WINDOWS\System32\command.com" program should appear!
#13 In the Command Line (Black window) type
>ucon64
(Ofcourse do NOT type the > key when typing ucon64 for the first time, just type ucon64) You will now be running ucON64 and will be able to convert game files from .smc or ay other format to sfxxxx Game Doctor format. A example of a command you would use to convert a file would be
>ucon64 SuperOffRoad(U).smc -gd3
You will then write a file from .smc to Game Doctor called sf4Sup. Here ia what ucon64 should display whn converting a game
Super Com Pro/Super Magicom/SMC/Super Wild Card (1.6XC/2.7CC/2.8CC/DX/DX2)/SWC
000081b0 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ................
000081c0 53 55 50 45 52 20 4f 46 46 52 4f 41 44 20 20 20 SUPER OFFROAD
000081d0 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 09 00 01 5d 00 f0 e0 0f 1f ....].....
Super Nintendo Entertainment System/SNES/Super Famicom
SUPER OFFROAD
Midway/Tradewest
U.S.A.
524288 Bytes (4.0000 Mb)
Padded: No
Interleaved/Swapped: No
Backup unit/emulator header: Yes, 512 Bytes
HiROM: No
Internal size: 4 Mb
ROM type: (0) ROM
ROM speed: 200 ns (SlowROM)
SRAM: No
Version: 1.0
Checksum: Ok, 0x1f0f (calculated) == 0x1f0f (internal)
Inverse checksum: Ok, 0x1f0f + 0xe0f0 = 0xffff
Checksum (CRC32): 0xfe263383
Wrote output to: sf4Sup
sf4Sup is the SuperOffRoad.smc file converted to sfxxxx (game Doctor) Let me know if you still need help.......Keep posting Wink Eventually you can get your Parallel port working with your PC and then most files dont even need to be split as the Game DOctor does this automatically.

this setup needs a little tweaking to be able to transfer files to the Game Doctor via parallel port. All you need to do to be able to transfer files to a Game doctor is put the file "io.dll" (that is included in the uCON64 download) in the correct place. It needs to be in the same place as the ".ucon64rc" which uCON64 creats on your Hard Drive once it is uCON64 is ran. To find out where uCON64 created the file just use the windows "Search" option and search for ".ucon64rc". Windows will show you where the file is and all you need to do is simply "copy and paste " "io.dll" right next to ".ucon64rc" file. Now that "io.dll" is in the correct spot you can communicate with the Game Doctor with the PC via parallel port
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: