ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Balloon Boy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WayneK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Balloon Boy Reply with quote

Tired of "THIS IS ILLEGAL COPY CARTRIDGE" appearing?

Load the rom (.bin) into your favourite hexeditor:-

At $000504 put: 4E71 4E71 4E71
At $000656 put: 4E71 4E71 4E71
At $003D84 put: 4E71 4E71 4E71

Fix the checksum (if required) and enjoy(?!) this previously unplayable Genesis game...

-WK
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waynek,
Thank you. You're very good at 68000 Very Happy
rbudrick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Does this only work for this game (do other games store the error code in the same address)? Is it possible to use a Game Genie or similar device to try this on the real cart (with a converted code, of course)?

-Rob
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope noone minds me answering this. It only works for this game since games can have protection anywhere and his code NOPs three strings.

You could use a Game Genie if the Game Genie can patch this much information, I don't think it can. If Sega GG codes patch a word (like I think they do) and you can input 5 codes, you're short one code to patch the last 4e71
WayneK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the protection on this game was something custom (seemed to check values in RAM that must have been placed there by some kind of controller/rom in the (unlicensed) cart) - similar to the protection used in a few chinese gameboy games I've seen. It's not a generic thing, so if there's a specific game you need cracked/fixed, you'll have to tell me what it is Smile

The crack itself was simple (as kyuusaku pointed out, I only had to NOP 3 JSR's), tracking it down from a deadlisting without breakpoints was the hard part...

Shouldn't be too hard for someone to make an .IPS patch or similar for this game, for those of you who are scared of hexeditors!
T.Reid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my Genesis copiers came with 4 games in disk format (including balloon boy). I can't get the games off the disk correctly. I've made images...care to take a crack?

See the post on cherryroms for more info.
http://forums.cherryroms.com/viewtopic.php?t=3732
Also, my post here:
http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?forumId=5&comments_parentId=1395
deadscreem

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Balloon Boy Reply with quote

WayneK wrote:
Tired of "THIS IS ILLEGAL COPY CARTRIDGE" appearing?

Load the rom (.bin) into your favourite hexeditor:-

At $000504 put: 4E71 4E71 4E71
At $000656 put: 4E71 4E71 4E71
At $003D84 put: 4E71 4E71 4E71

Fix the checksum (if required) and enjoy(?!) this previously unplayable Genesis game...

-WK
ptfhh nothing new there buddy, try again.

You can make these and other unlicensed games work with patch codes no need to hack your roms up. And the Realtec cart mapper is fully understood and will be emulated in Kega Fusion Soon-ish (I hope). so for Ballon boy and other Realtec games they will be fully playable when Snake emulates the mapper. http://gens.consolemul.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=f3eb257194c3294dea6621f0c46a8aa9;act=ST;f=6;t=237

And T.Reid. You keep saying you made images of them but you dont post them anywhere for people to download them to have a look. You gave them to one person at the Tavern and that was it. And I asked at teh Tavern and got ignored....... If you cant host them anywhere send them to me and I will stick em online.
WayneK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first of all I wasn't aware of any "patch codes" for this game, and there's no playable version widely spread, so I took a look at it and fixed it because of that... Second, while I think Kega is a great emu and Steve Snake has done some quality work, it doesn't help me play unlicensed Realtec games on my DPF copier if he manages to emulate the mapper used in these disk games - my patch does.

And T.Reid sent me the other games as soon as I requested them - maybe he didn't send them to you because you acted the same way towards him as you did to me?
DjoeN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Balloon Boy Reply with quote

deadscreem wrote:

You can make these and other unlicensed games work with patch codes no need to hack your roms up. And the Realtec cart mapper is fully understood and will be emulated in Kega Fusion Soon-ish (I hope). so for Ballon boy and other Realtec games they will be fully playable when Snake emulates the mapper.

I preffer the hexedit methode above patch codes Wink, but that's my opinion.
I preffer a real megadrive above emulation Wink (that's also my own opinion Very Happy )

deadscreem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Balloon Boy Reply with quote

DjoeN wrote:
deadscreem wrote:

You can make these and other unlicensed games work with patch codes no need to hack your roms up. And the Realtec cart mapper is fully understood and will be emulated in Kega Fusion Soon-ish (I hope). so for Ballon boy and other Realtec games they will be fully playable when Snake emulates the mapper.

I preffer the hexedit methode above patch codes Wink, but that's my opinion.
I preffer a real megadrive above emulation Wink (that's also my own opinion Very Happy )
Im assuming youre using a ToTotek cart right? you can enter those codes in the Dreamwriter cheat options.
deadscreem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WayneK wrote:
Well, first of all I wasn't aware of any "patch codes" for this game, and there's no playable version widely spread, so I took a look at it and fixed it because of that... Second, while I think Kega is a great emu and Steve Snake has done some quality work, it doesn't help me play unlicensed Realtec games on my DPF copier if he manages to emulate the mapper used in these disk games - my patch does.

And T.Reid sent me the other games as soon as I requested them - maybe he didn't send them to you because you acted the same way towards him as you did to me?
wait wait... is this patch for the disk version? And yeah they codes do help. Dreamwriter supports Genie and PAR codes.

The Cart version is actually a two in one. Funnyworld and Baloon boy. It willl NEVER be playable unless the mapper is emulated as the mapper directly controls the multigame select menu. Or without hacking it apart to seperate the two games.

Oh bite me. Im an ass, so what? And no, it is because noone reads teh Tavern anymore and I replied some while after they stopped replying in the topic.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: e Reply with quote

Quote:
You could use a Game Genie if the Game Genie can patch this much information, I don't think it can. If Sega GG codes patch a word (like I think they do) and you can input 5 codes, you're short one code to patch the last 4e71

Well you can daisy chain Game Genies together. I'm curious as to whether this hack works in practice, not just theory with GG. Smile Anyone got 2 GGs to test it out? Laughing

-Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> MD-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: