ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Pro Fighter Q Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lasthorizon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Super Pro Fighter Q Issues Reply with quote

Hi. I'm having some issues with my Super Pro Fighter Q device

I've owned it for probably 15 years but haven't used it for about 10 years. I set it up and the floppy drive didn't boot the disk up, and just kept saying 'Insert Disk'- even though there was one inside. Then I don't know what I did, but I think I shorted something as the power lead has since blown and the floppy drive now doesn't not up at all.

I've tested the voltage regulator and 9.12v is coming in, and is outputting 4.93, so know the floppy drive is getting power but it just doesn't work.

I've taken it to a local electrical shop that I trust and he said that the battery looks like it's leaked, and that there is no power getting to it (I know that the battery isnt the original one) and asked if any wiring diagram is available ??.... But I don't know if the battery is a vital thing in getting the floppy drive to work ??

So my questions are:

1) Does anyone have a wiring diagram for these units ?
2) Are there any other parts that I could check, any advice on where next to check ?. It's strange because I know it was in full working order and have copied a lot of games to floppy disks with zero problems, and now it's just useless

Many thanks

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.53 KB
 Viewed:  5237 Time(s)

image.jpg

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I'll reply to your PM here.

The floppy drive controller is the square IC next to the battery. It's socketed so you can lift it up to check if the battery leakage reached some of its pins.

The leakage may have reached the floppy idc cable. Take it off it to see if you spot some greenish material
lasthorizon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Many thanks for your reply.

Ok, great- I'll check it out when I can.

The electrical guy I know said he can see signs of battery leakage on the R2, D3, R3 things, are they capacitors ?.

What can you do if battery acid has leaked onto the floppy controllers and those pins mentioned above ?.

Thanks Smile
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, those are 2 resistors and a zener diode. They should be fine.

The real issue is the leakage may have damaged some traces / pins.

First, take off the battery, the connector and the floppy controller and pour a bit of white vinegar to get rid of the battery acid. Next you test continuity for all the traces.

If it doesn't work, you'll have to replace some of those items following the steps in my spf16 restoring thread.
lasthorizon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm its this square connector that is socketed and comes off ?

Does the middle bit come out, or does the whole thing lift off ?, as its not obvious how it comes off

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  188.68 KB
 Viewed:  5210 Time(s)

image.jpg

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, on that last photo you can see 2 indentations on the bottom left and the top right, just insert a tiny screwdriver on both holes and lift up the ic
lasthorizon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes I see them. I've taken it out- but don't see anything ?.

There seems to be a little green on the edge of the pins, and one of them is bent in slightly..... I've tried pulling it out gently but it seems stuck in.

Other than this, it seems clean inside. On the continuity, where would you suggest starting from ?.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  245.08 KB
 Viewed:  5206 Time(s)

image.jpg

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see a lot of damage on these pics. if you want to do it properly take off the battery, desolder the floppy connector, desolder the plcc socket and clean the area where the battery leaked . replace both connectors. If you're not experience with this type of job, don't do it yourself.

I can't troubleshoot for you more than I already did. It's not a simple falty connection.
lasthorizon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the damage that you can see ?

What/where's the picc socket ?

Where can you find these connectors for sale ?. I have experience in soldering but I would probably get my uncle to do it, as he is very experienced in electronics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: