ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about Doctor64

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuppen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Question about Doctor64 Reply with quote

Hi,
Ill try if someone can give me a hand,,
i have a nintendo64 and a Doctor V64,
It is with 256 megabits.
When i check ram and so in the machine everything seems to work fine.
But i can't get some rooms to work, in some games i just get a black screen when i start N64,, ex Donkey Kong, Zelda ,,,
Have used tool64 to convert them to V64.
I have tried different Donkey Kong roms but no difference.

Do anyone know i what i do wrong ?

Regards
fuppen
N340

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older topic but just wanted to share;

You need to patch some roms to work. Some have DRM that stop them from working.
CZroe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t recall if there ever was a crack/patch for DK64 but you can boot the original ROM with the appropriate cartridge in the top. Look up Elitendo’s Boot/Save list.

If I recall correctly, Donkey Kong 64 requires a 6105/7105 “Zelda” type boot cartridge with a 16k EEPROM save type. Of course, Zelda uses SRAM instead of 16k EEPROM so you have to use some other boot cart if you want to play an unpatched DK64 ROM. Perfect Dark and Banjo-Tooie are a perfect match of boot and save type but DK64 will erase your Tooie or Perfect Dark saves unless you back them up first.

For some games you can use any cartridge with the right save type (16k EEPROM in this case) by using the appropriate boot emulator. The Zelda boot emulator was eventually replaced with one called Universal Boot Emulator (UBE) but late Rareware titles were able to detect it. They would still boot but copy protection would just flash “No Controller” on the title screen (Conker, Jet Force, Tooie, …).

Most people used Star Wars Episode I Racer with the UBE for booting any games that need 16k EEPROM but Mario Tennis and Ridge Racer 64 work just as well because they are all the common 6102/7101 boot type.

To use 16k EEPROM games like Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside, Excitebike 64, or Yoshi’s Story you would have to use a utility to modify the UBE to boot on 6103/7103 (Kobe, Excitebike) or 6106/7106 (Yoshi). This is easy enough to do but most people just have a selection of cheap 6102/7101 boot carts with every save type to pair with the UBE.

To use the Universal Boot Emulator:
First, load it the same way you load any ROM. Power on the N64 then press “Stop” on the V64 to return to the V64 menu while the N64 is on. While the N64 is running, load the ROM you want to play. Since the UBE is already running it will detect the type of boot chip the game is looking for and will simulate that while booting the game. I believe the video will switch back to the N64 when the game finishes loading but you may need to press Stop again. I can’t recall. I typically just used the right boot cart. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: