ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to copy FDS 2.8" disk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbudrick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tomy,

Yes, I have the original book...I might even have 2 copies of it...I can check. I finally found a copy of the original Copy Tool 2 book (copy tool 1 is much better...more updated than 2), which I will soon scan and retype. I might not translate that one though, but I will at least make a Japanese version in which you can select the text and such.

I don't have an MGD1 or a 7201 FDS drive, yet, Tomy. I wish I did! If you want the original book and it turns out I do have an extra copy, maybe we could make a trade for something, Tomy? I have many extra issues of Backup Technique that you may be interested in Also (Famicom Remodelling Manual was a sister mook to Backup Technique).

-Rob
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick,

Oh, too bad you don't have MGD1 and 7201 drive. I make cable for MGD1 to PC. Then you can copy/backup FDS disk. I want to make one for you for free. Then you can be my tester.

It is free project. So, if people interest, they can make their own cable.
I'll post schematic later.

Wow, the book is very old. How you can find it ? I think you have good connection from Japan ?

-Tomy
rbudrick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tomy,

I would love to test your cable, Tomy, and I very much appreciate that you would ask. Smile I wish I had an MGD1...I'd give it a try if I could. Very nice of you to post schematics for it! Can't wait to take a peek at them.

Don't you have to use a 386 PC to use an MGD1 to back up FDS disks? I thought it was very sensitive. Does you cable remedy this?

The way I got the books was through Yahoo Japan. It took almost 1 year to find every issue of Backup Technique. Once I had almost all of them I started to get very disappointed...the Copy Tool projects were not in them (but I found an incredible amount of other cool projects in them...more than a lifetime's worth). However, many very similar articles to the Copy Tools were in these. Many articles were by the same authors as the copy tools. I eventually figured that the Copy Tools must be from a sister publication....there was just nothing else I could think of. I saw some ads in the back of Backup Technique 11 and 12 (I think) for a mook called Famicom Kaizou Manual (Famicom Remodelling or Reconstruction Manual). I did some research and learned that 3 issues were made. It took a long time, but I found issues 2 and 3. Issue 1 (with Copy Tool 2 in it) is on its way to me right now from Japan (I finally found it this week!).

You probably wouldn't believe how relieved and overjoyed I was to see Copy Tool 1 in Issue 2 when I finally held it in my hands. Honestly, it was a pretty surreal moment, because I spent WAY too much money finding these mooks, and put an incredible amount of time into translating Copy Tool 1. I was so happy my quest was over, heh heh. Basically it took me 1.5 years total to find the final issue I needed (FKM Issue 1). I wish I could sell my spare copies of Backup Technique to someone who would scan every page, translate them, and post them online, heh heh. Not exactly legal, but there are hundreds of awesome projects in these mooks for a lot of systems....stuff Tototek could really use, I would bet.

If anyone wants to actually buy any of these issues from me, I could post a list of duplicates I have. Other than being in Japan and shopping on Yahoo Japan, there is literally no other place in the world to get them. Lol, I almost have a monopoly (just kidding). I would probably sell them for $20USD each just to break even, by my estimation. I think I have between 10 and 20 duplicate issues. Trades are welcome, I suppose, but money is preffered.

For those that don't know, Backup Technique was basically the console hacker's "Bible." Each issue was packed with mods, schematics, diagrams, instructions, etc on projects for every console and PC (American and Japanese!) between 1986 and 1993 or so. The books are all in Japanese, but extremely informative. Projects ranged from building blank carts (SRAM carts and such) that sync roms with a PC, to cart dumpers, RGB mods, controller mods (adding rapid fire, for instance), and actual programs you can type into your PC to run hacks and such. There were a lot of articles on hacking games and such too....so the publication really got in-depth with the hardware and software side of things...these guys took their gaming VERY seriously.

Very in-depth stuff, much of it you will never see anywhere else (especially the programs in these books).

-Rob
rbudrick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the spare issues I have for sale or trade:

2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 (two copies, one is missing front cover), 9 (two copies), 22, 24 (two copies), 25, 26, 31, 32

I also have a spare copy of Famicom Kaizou Manual Part 2 (the one that has Copy Tool 1 in it).

I value these at about $20 each due to the very expensive channels I had to go through to get them.

-Rob
Jagasian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please scan the issues and translate them.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was sarcasm, right, Jag? Laughing

I hope so. Considering it took a year to translate 12 pages, I'll have to pass. Of course, if someone else wants to volunteer...

Each of these books is near 200 pages long (or maybe 150...can't remembr). They also had very few ads in each issue (a few pages at the front, a few at the back), and they were mostly all for pirating hardware and software. They may have been a quartely publication, but they were full books. Hence the Japanese term term "mook" (magazine book).

BTW, Backup Technique ran 38 issue, and later became Game Labo (Game Lab)

-Rob
rbudrick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to add one more fds dumping technique to the list that Kyuusaku told me about.

There is supposedly a device based on the Pasodisk that uses different software by a company called TeamKnox. Last known address I could find (down right now) is this:

http://home.att.ne.jp/gamma/TeamKNOx/ChameleonNES/ChameleonNES.html

However, this one came up on google too (also down):

members.tripod.com/~TeamKNOX/

(EDIT: Is this their new site?: http://www.teamknox.com/ChameleonNES/ChameleonNES.html )

Don't know if they are one and the same. I don't have any more info than that.

Of course, the Chameleon site is here:

http://www.geocities.jp/pasofami77/usbdaiko.htm
http://www.geocities.jp/pasofami77/pasodisk.htm

Or is it this one?:

http://optimize.ath.cx/cusb/index.html

It almost looks like they both sell it, but I don't know which is the official site. Man, I wish my Japanese wasn't so terrible...

-Rob
rbudrick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed the address at TeamKnox and got this:

Quote:
Hello,

I heard TeamKnox might have made a device to back up FDS disks (like
Chameleon). I was hoping to find out if this is true.

Thanks so much!

Yours,
Rob Budrick

Then they sent me an email back pointing to their email rules of their site where I didn't tell them my nationality, gender, handle, age, where I found their site, my PC environment, and my interest (or my interesting, as they put it). WTF?!

So I wrote them back:

Quote:
1. Nationality -USA
2. Name(Handle name)-Rbudrick
3. SEX -Male
4. AGE -28
5. Where did you get to know this site -Google (a friend gave me a
link to the old site
so I searched for the new one)
6. Your PC environment -Windows XP
7. Your interesting - FDS backup, preservation

Thanks again!

Yours,
Rob

I got a reply:

Quote:
Sorry, we have no device for your purpose.

Thanks.

Well, that was a pain. They could have just said that...

-Rob
madman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a laugh out of that.
madman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also going to try to build the MGD1<->PC cable this week, I think I have the DB15 and DB25 connectors from previous projects and cabling somewhere too. I take it I just plug the FDS ram adapter into the top of my MGD1 and run the util?
rbudrick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that's all you do. Actually, you probably saw the instructions I received from someone in this thread:

http://www.tototek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1262

However, Im still waiting for Tomy to respond to my last post in it. I'm still hoping someone might be able to confirm if I'm actually doing anything wrong or if I just have to try different PCs or something. I'll take any hints I can get.

-Rob
Raistlin77

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This this all sounds fascinating. Seems like it's nearly impossible to find the necessary equipment though. If I had, I'd have it already, lol. I need the Famicom, 7201 drive, MGD1, and the cable (I never bought the console because I was waiting until I found an MGD1). So, Tomy, you can probably find these alot easier than I can. Basically, I would just like to know if you can get these, and if so, can you give me a good estimate of how much it would cost? I know you can't give me an exact price since you don't have them in stock, I just want a general idea.
madman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get A/V modded famicoms for next to nothing. MGD1, maybe $75-100 depending on who you can get it from. The 7201 FDS drive may be a bit harder to come by, but maybe $25-$40. The cable you can make yourself.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You should be able to get A/V modded famicoms for next to nothing. MGD1, maybe $75-100 depending on who you can get it from. The 7201 FDS drive may be a bit harder to come by, but maybe $25-$40. The cable you can make yourself.

I have the plans to AV mod a famicom if you need them. Pretty easy mod. The cables aren't too hard to make with a bit of soldering skill. A 3206 drive can be modded with a mod board to make it exactly like a 7201 drive (I have plans I translated for this too, but it's a big file (50 something MB). The hardest thing to find is a MGD1 and/or a TGD6.

-Rob
ChimyFolkButter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I finally figured out how to write fds disks using a combination of two methods.

First, I built both the FDSLOADR Ram adapter cable and the FDSLOADR Disk adapter cable. Using the FDSLOADR Disk adapter cable, I can dump disks but I can't get the writing disks part to work. BTW, my drive is a 7201. I have no clue why it doesn't work.

Continuing on, using the FDSLOADR Ram adapter cable, I can upload FDS images straight to the RAM adapter on the famicom and play games. No big deal.

But, I want to write disks because I don't want to boot up my clunky Pentium Pro machine to upload FDS images. So, I figured why not use a combination of FDSLOADR RAM Adapter and Bung CopyMaster? It should work right?

Well, I tried it. I started up copymaster and selected Read & Copy. As soon as copymaster asked to insert the source disk, I disconnected the RAM adapter cable from the FDS and plugged in the FDSLOADR cable. I proceeded to start up FDSLOADR with the DOKI Panic image. Wow! copymaster read in the image from FDSLOADR. I disconnected the FDSLOADR cable and plugged in the RAM adapter cable back into the FDS. I inserted my blank disk into the FDS. Presto! Copymaster writes the first side of Doki Panic into the drive. I just repeat the process for side B.

Now, I can finally write disks! It not an optimally way but it works.

-CFB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: