ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Double Pro Fighter Q+ CDROM version?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigJohnnyM

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Double Pro Fighter Q+ CDROM version? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me here, I recently repaired an old Double Pro Fighter unit that I've had laying around for 15+ years (The unit was acquired in a non working state).

After replacing all of the caps & voltage regulator the unit now boots up into the main menu. Can someone tell me if this bios is common? I thought I read on here somewhere that no CDROM bios exists for the DPF?

It also has a couple of other issues, Only shows 8M of dram & 0K sram, Also game carts booted from the cart slot do not work.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

dpf_cdrom.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.5 KB
 Viewed:  7124 Time(s)

dpf_cdrom.JPG

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Double Pro Fighter Q+ CDROM version? Reply with quote

BigJohnnyM wrote:
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me here, I recently repaired an old Double Pro Fighter unit that I've had laying around for 15+ years (The unit was acquired in a non working state).

After replacing all of the caps & voltage regulator the unit now boots up into the main menu. Can someone tell me if this bios is common? I thought I read on here somewhere that no CDROM bios exists for the DPF?

It also has a couple of other issues, Only shows 8M of dram & 0K sram, Also game carts booted from the cart slot do not work.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Hello BigJohn,

Interesting BIOS indeed, you could dump it and compare it with the original DPF.
AFAIK no bios apart from the FX64 I posted here some time ago has built-in CD-ROM support. As for the GB Smart Card, you had to run the software from a disk.
Regarding your RAM issue, is it an original DPF Ram board board? Do you get different readings when you reseat it?
BigJohnnyM

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Double Pro Fighter Q+ CDROM version? Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:

Hello BigJohn,

Interesting BIOS indeed, you could dump it and compare it with the original DPF.
AFAIK no bios apart from the FX64 I posted here some time ago has built-in CD-ROM support. As for the GB Smart Card, you had to run the software from a disk.
Regarding your RAM issue, is it an original DPF Ram board board? Do you get different readings when you reseat it?

Hi Merlin,

I don't have a copy of the original DPF bios, If you can point me to where I can find it that would be great. I have a rom burner & can dump/burn my own roms so no issue there.

I've posted a pic of my ram board here & it always reads as 8M no matter how many times I reseat it.

dpf_ram.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.03 KB
 Viewed:  7114 Time(s)

dpf_ram.JPG

MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else may be wrong if it's detecting no internal SRAM. The issue causing that may be related to only detecting 8M of DRAM and the cart slot not running games.

After you backup the BIOS you might want to try using a fresh EPROM with a known good BIOS and see if that changes anything, incase bitrot in the BIOS is causing issues.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Double Pro Fighter Q+ CDROM version? Reply with quote

BigJohnnyM wrote:

Hi Merlin,

I don't have a copy of the original DPF bios, If you can point me to where I can find it that would be great. I have a rom burner & can dump/burn my own roms so no issue there.

I've posted a pic of my ram board here & it always reads as 8M no matter how many times I reseat it.

Your RAM board is the original one. You can find the bios here:
https://randomsonicnet.org/workshop/
Also if you suspect your SRAM is faulty you could switch it with a SPPFQ one or even start the DPF without one.
BigJohnnyM

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Double Pro Fighter Q+ CDROM version? Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:

Your RAM board is the original one. You can find the bios here:
https://randomsonicnet.org/workshop/
Also if you suspect your SRAM is faulty you could switch it with a SPPFQ one or even start the DPF without one.

That site is 403 forbidden unfortunately.
I've backed up the rom & will use another eprom if a can obtain the regular DPF bios.

The CIC of this DPF is a ST10198P. I swapped it out with a ST10198S from a non working SPFQ I have spare. Now SRAM reads as 256K but I still get only 8M DRAM.

Any game cart I try run thru the top slot seems to not work (Black screen except for a PAL copy of Super Mario AllStars which shows the country error screen (I'm running it on a US snes).

Other odd behaviour is that even with no cart in the top slot it reads the cart rom size as 6M?

I do not have the megadrive adapter either so I can't test it on one.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forbidden? That's weird, I have no problem accessing it. Here's the bios.

dpfbios.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dpfbios.zip
 Filesize:  75 KB
 Downloaded:  311 Time(s)

BigJohnnyM

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:
Forbidden? That's weird, I have no problem accessing it. Here's the bios.

Thanks Merlin, I'll burn it to a fresh 27c512 & see how it goes.

The sram reading went back to 0M again so I took out the sram chip & noticed that the pins are tarnished. Cleaned the sram up & now it's back to reporting as 256K sram installed.

I've just noticed with any cart in the top slot larger than 12M it just shows it as 12M. It accurately shows the correct rom size of any cart 12M or smaller.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJohnnyM wrote:

Thanks Merlin, I'll burn it to a fresh 27c512 & see how it goes.

The sram reading went back to 0M again so I took out the sram chip & noticed that the pins are tarnished. Cleaned the sram up & now it's back to reporting as 256K sram installed.

I've just noticed with any cart in the top slot larger than 12M it just shows it as 12M. It accurately shows the correct rom size of any cart 12M or smaller.

Mmm that's weird, can you check or swap the 3 74LS245 left of the BIOS/SRAM.
Also check there's no corrosion or cut traces in this area.
I haven't heard of PAL DPF before but I doubt BIOS would need to be altered in any way.
Here's a large shot of the DPF PCB from randomsonic I reuploaded since you can't access the site:
http://imgur.com/a/WAFvY
BigJohnnyM

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:

Mmm that's weird, can you check or swap the 3 74LS245 left of the BIOS/SRAM.
Also check there's no corrosion or cut traces in this area.
I haven't heard of PAL DPF before but I doubt BIOS would need to be altered in any way.
Here's a large shot of the DPF PCB from randomsonic I reuploaded since you can't access the site:
http://imgur.com/a/WAFvY

Ok have burnt & tested all 3x DPF bios that you provided.
All 3x display the "DB. FIGHTER Q+ CD-ROM VERSION" menu screen.
I data compared all 3x bios against my bios dump & it is identical to your DPF 27512 bios.

I removed all 3x 74LS245 ICs. They were all clean but the IC sockets look a little tarnished. I cleaned the ICs & sockets but no change.
Mario64

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What CDROM drive does this support?
BigJohnnyM

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered a bunch a new IC sockets & will replace them all on the board with the hope of getting this unit fully working.

So with my bios being the same why does it show as a cd-rom version?
Would it be due to different PAL/GAL chips on the board?
BigJohnnyM

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced all of the IC sockets but my DPF has the same issues.
I removed all 3x 74LS245 chips at U5/U6/U7 & powered up.
It reports 0 DRAM. I place a 74LS245 into U5 only & now it reports 8M DRAM.
Placing a 74LS245 into U6 & U7 does nothing (Still 8M DRAM).
All 3x 74LS245 are new replacements, So I should assume a bad trace around U6 & U7?
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I don't have my DPF on hand at the moment but I came across this ebay listing that also display "CD-ROM VERSION"
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/NINTENDO-DOUBLE-PRO-FIGHTER-Q-2-IN-1-SUPER-FAMICOM-SNES-CONVERTER-BACK-UP-SEGA-/371959731681?hash=item569a8715e1:g:Gg0AAOSww3tY5N9g

So I guess it's nothing special, I have a couple of SPFQ or equivalent that has it.

Back to your issue, it could likely be a trace cut so checking continuity would be a good thing to try or even better using a logic probe if you have one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: