ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Development of a flash SNES cart
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RipX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Development of a flash SNES cart Reply with quote

Are there any plans to release a flash cartrdidge for the Super Nintendo?

RipX
Whitesnake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

due to the advanced nature of the snes chip it would be very difficult, first you have to deal with the different type's of chip's, dsp 1, dsp 2, super fx 1, super fx 2, the C4 chip, he SA 1 chip and the other chip's that use special bank switching.

although for anyone that is interested and has the tools at home i prupose a look at this page Smile
http://snesdev.romhack.de/ Smile
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Whitesnake. But some copier use add-on cart to have dsp or fx function. So, they only emulate normal rom/hi_rom. The special chips, like dsp/fx. They have a slot for them. So, you can use original cart for dsp/fx emulate.

Ripx :
I think we don't release such a thing. Because already have many good copier, e.g. Doctor SF7, Pro Fighter and .....
You think it is good for flash cart ? Question
interacti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would love to see a SNES Flash Cart. Though you are correct, good coppiers do exist,but having a flash cart even for low\highrom games would be great for loaning people games, or just moving them around easily, Plus all the coppiers are no longer being made, and they will run out. If I were to make one, I'd make it with 48m capacity. I would buy several for sure. It would also be great for SNES development, which there is some intrest in.

Just my two cents.
Whitesnake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also there are a lot of interesting beta rom's and snes homebrew on the net such as super mario track editing Smile
Suppafly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not part of tototek corporation, but i would think its very dangerous to mess with nintendo like that (making nes or snes flashcarts), so i´d worry about legal issues against the creators of that kind of hardware.....
Whitesnake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think nintendo would allow a SNES dev cart, its the GBA they are most concerned about with flash linkers and piracy. a SNES dev cart would be a biger seller than the mega drive, i would definitely buy one Smile
Ex-Cyber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest (technical) obstacle to an SNES flash cart is the lockout scheme in the SNES. This has been reverse engineered by some of the copier manufacturers, but the algorithm doesn't really seem to be public knowledge. Still, in the worst case this could be bypassed the same way N64 copiers do, by putting a slot on the cartridge to attach an original cartridge. Another possibility would be taking the chips from defective or otherwise unwanted SNES/SFC carts, but those chips are coded differently for NTSC and PAL territories...
d4s

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lockout chip inside a ntsc snes cart is a plain 74ls161 4bit binary counter,believe it or not.
$0,30/piece at your local electronics store.
if you dont believe me,open up a snes cart and replace the chip marked d411 with a 74ls161.
there you go...
the only thing thats a tad more difficult with snes flashcarts compared to mega drive ones is(apart from the 8bit databus instead of 16bit)
that you have to support hi and lorom,but a electronics engineer designs stuff like this in less than 1 hour.
hell,even i did similar things,although it took me noticeable longer to do so Wink
ive set up a page on how to build your own snes carts(not flashcarts but eprom carts) here http://snesdev.romhack.de ,very detailed step-by-step instructions.
Ex-Cyber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d4s: I'm going to have to go try that as soon as I can get my hands on a 161. Smile That's mindbogglingly silly, I thought they were actually using something worthwhile. Do you happen to know how the PAL and NTSC lockouts differ?
ketotot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomy wrote:
You're right Whitesnake. But some copier use add-on cart to have dsp or fx function. So, they only emulate normal rom/hi_rom. The special chips, like dsp/fx. They have a slot for them. So, you can use original cart for dsp/fx emulate.

Ripx :
I think we don't release such a thing. Because already have many good copier, e.g. Doctor SF7, Pro Fighter and .....
You think it is good for flash cart ? Question

I think it is a very good idea to make a SNES flash cart. The older copiers are big and bulky and require loading games from floppy disks.
It would be more convenient to have some kind of SNES flash cart, even if it requires that the flash cart be plugged into an original SNES cart to play some games that use FX chips, etc.
Please consider developing something like this. You will make many customers with such a product! Cool
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ketotot wrote:

I think it is a very good idea to make a SNES flash cart. The older copiers are big and bulky and require loading games from floppy disks.
It would be more convenient to have some kind of SNES flash cart, even if it requires that the flash cart be plugged into an original SNES cart to play some games that use FX chips, etc.
Please consider developing something like this. You will make many customers with such a product! 8)

If they were to make this you probably wouldn't be able to play SFX games etc, especially not with an external game. Flashcarts are much lower level hardware and will have to stay simple and sweet. Like d4s said, the complexity lies in the many ROM types.
Ex-Cyber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like d4s said, the complexity lies in the many ROM types.

HiROM and LoROM are not radically different; it's even possible to simply convert a LoROM image to a HiROM one.

edit: I should mention that this probably isn't 100% compatible, but the point is that we're only talking about a handful of address lines, it's not like the access protocol is actually different.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'd be better to not rely on game modification no matter how simple it might be. If Nintendo could do it I'm sure Tototek could, but why when there are plenty of (better) copiers out there.
Ex-Cyber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you dont believe me,open up a snes cart and replace the chip marked d411 with a 74ls161.
there you go...

Just for the record, I did try this, and the '161 doesn't boot the SNES. Just to be sure I redid the solder job, then swapped the original CIC chip back in and it magically started working again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: