ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Wild Card USB adapter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenNugget

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Super Wild Card USB adapter Reply with quote

Just signed up to the forum, wondering if my fellow SWC fan's had come across this project: https://medium.com/@tltx/the-void-left-by-the-parallel-port-51eb6c919e8a?
I came across it about a year ago, it's a little adapter to send games to the SWC via USB rather than parallel port (which as we all know are long gone from modern PC's)
The loader app is a python script, so isn't constrained to any particular OS.
The guy uses a little Atmega32u4 based "breakout" board, couldn't identify it or find one similar, so I changed a few pin defs and recompiled the code for a Arduino Micro. I will post the code here if there's any interest.
It's a nice little project, works really well, also easy to make just wire up pins from the Arduino (or similar) direct to a male parallel plug, no other components required, takes power from the USB.
Check it out Cool
MottZilla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty awesome. I'd be interested in trying it out if there was a firmware for the Game Doctor SF series. They tend to be cheaper and more common than the Wild Card series.
dbjh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Super Wild Card USB adapter Reply with quote

ChickenNugget wrote:
parallel port (which as we all know are long gone from modern PC's)

But PCI parallel port cards can be bought for €10 and make it possible to communicate with all backup units with a parallel port interface. PCI will not disappear any time soon.
ChickenNugget

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Wild Card USB adapter Reply with quote

dbjh wrote:
ChickenNugget wrote:
parallel port (which as we all know are long gone from modern PC's)

But PCI parallel port cards can be bought for €10 and make it possible to communicate with all backup units with a parallel port interface. PCI will not disappear any time soon.

Yep, there's still a few options, just wanted to share a nice project Cool
USB is nice for laptops, Raspberry Pi etc. and of course if you happen to have an Arduino laying around and no other use for a PCI parallel card then you can save the €10.
Actually PCI is already gone from lots of recent motherboards now, so better make that a PCIe card Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: