ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with my GDSF7! Please Help!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rakz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Problem with my GDSF7! Please Help! Reply with quote

One week ago I got my GDSF7 from Tototek, (they shipped very fast), but I won't work for me! Im using a pal snes with a disabled lockout chip and the power supply to the GDSF7 is 9V DC, 1A and centernegative pin. I can start the SNES with my GDSF7, run the selftest which says everything is ok, and load ROMS with floppies. I now exactly how to convert the roms using ucon64 latest version. The ROMS starts as normal, but after 1-15 minutes (depending on what rom) the game just locks up with random graphics and flicker. After that it must be reloaded into the memory, It cant be started from the RAM at the GDSF7 again. Ive done a couple of tests, including putting one game (turtles in time, pal version) on all the 4 slots (only got 32mb of memory) and then have the snes and gdsf7 powered for a couple of hours. When I then tried to run them all, slot A at once locked up, slot B run for about 15 minutes, then locked up, slot C and D locked up almost immediately. This problem is really bugging me. Ive tried a lot of games, same problem with them all. I have no clue what the problem can be.

I have a long thread at http://forums.cherryroms.com/viewtopic.php?t=2124 if youre interested in reading more of the problem (there we have a guy with exactly the same problem). The people at that board gave me the tip to try to get some help here. Please help me! I must get this to work!

Thanks in advance, Erik
rippin snare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man. That sounds awful. I am not sure what to say to you but I hope you figure it out. I really do. I am hearing a lot of these problems lately regarding this unit. I just got one myself not too long and so far it is ok I suppose. I have had a few glitches myself but nothing as bad as this. I only hope mine lasts. I'm now afraid of mine seriously acting up.
Rakz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great if someone knew why the game doctor acts like this!
Tomy is impossible to get in touch with. He NEVER answers. I don't know what to do.
rippin snare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well don't feel alone. I am really pissed now. I haven't played my SF7 much as I just recently got it. However. After hearing about your problem I was curious to go and try mine out. Sure enough. It is not running as expected. The games that are loaded into the memory of the GD7 are listed however when I try to run them (any game for that matter in any slot) all I get is a black screen and the games have to be all reloaded into memory for them to work again. This really sucks. It seems like all of these units are not good in the long run.

My GD7 is ALWAYS powered and I have the most recommended adaptor being used as well (generation 1 1602 genesis adaptor) and it still happens. I don't even get garbled picture like you do. I get no picture at all!

If you find out anythign regarding this or getting it working the way it should please do let me know and I will do the same.
Rakz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course. Are you using a pal or ntsc snes? Because PAL sneses do need lockout chip mod.

Are the adaptor 9vdc? with centernegative pin? it should look like this:
+---(o-
rippin snare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ntsc and yea I have the right adaptor. The Original megadrive/genesis adaptor is perfect. To the T specs and a nice snug fit in the unit.

I just reloaded tales of phantasia into memory (only way to get it working again). I am going to play for a while and see if it acts up. How long you reckon I should play for?
Rakz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh, you have got one game working? But when it crashes, it isnt possible to start again? Thats exactly my problem, the game must be reloaded, because the ram memorys information is corrupted after a crash... play for about 30-40 mins... to be sure.
rippin snare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea that is exactly what is happening. I run the self tests many times. I have 128M and pure tototek red memory. The games convert and transfer via parallel port into the GD7 no problem. They list and all. The games all load to start. But after awhile the screen just goes black, especiallyafter leaving the unit for awhile (yes still powered on however) and the game won't load again. It just sits locked up at a black screen. I then have to flush the memory by reloading all the games again.

I am still playing tales of phantasia. I write back here 45mins into the game and let you know how it makes out.
rippin snare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think its the memory at all to be honest. I could be wrong however poeple are talkign about original bung memory, red tototek memory etc. No matter what ram I have it is still the same. I think the units are just old and falling apart. I haven't reached the 45 min mark of playing yet I just sent this cause it came to mind.

If you are interested in getting some more 'test' memory or even just more memory for yourself period I have a brand new 32M chip here that works just fine. I will give you a really great price on it if you are interested.

let me know
Rakz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it original bung memory or red tototek memory? Ive been talking to tomy, check out this log:

Rakz: hi
Rakz: please answer me
Tomy: yes
Rakz: my gdsf7 isnt working
Tomy: what is the problem about it ?
Rakz: I can load the roms, but after some playing the games locks up with random graphics
Rakz: Im using correct power adaptor
Tomy: I see. It is 32M ?
Rakz: yes
Tomy: No extra ram card ?
Rakz: noop
Rakz: they lock up after 1-15 minutes, depending on what game
Rakz: Im playing at a pal snes with lockout chip disabled
Rakz: Ive done a couple of tests, including putting one game (turtles in time, pal version) on all the 4 slots (only got 32mb of memory) and then have the snes and gdsf7 powered for a couple of hours. When I then tried to run them all, slot A at once locked up, slot B run for about 15 minutes, then locked up, slot C and D locked up almost immediately. This problem is really bugging me. Ive tried a lot of games, same problem with them all. I have no clue what the problem can be.

*** Your previous message has not been sent. Reason: Maximum length exceeded.
Tomy: The mechine is tested before ship. So, I think it should be ok. But I believe you, it maybe has problem on the dr.sf7 connector. So, can you try to clean it ? And also maybe it is Pal snes problem. Because dr.sf7 using dram. The timing is very inportant.
Tomy: wait
Rakz: but Ive heard you dont use BUNG memory anymore? whats the speed on the tototek dram and the bung dram?
Rakz: the selftest completes, and the gdsf7 menus are stable
Rakz: did you dissapear?
Tomy: No, just goto toilet
Tomy: sorry
Rakz: ok
Tomy: No, it is BUNG dram
Rakz: is bung dram red?
Tomy: But if customer buy extra dram, then it is tototek dram
Tomy: Your dr.sf7 dram is red ?
Rakz: yes
Rakz: I got a pic at my site
Rakz: wait
Rakz: ill get url
Tomy: You open it, and inside dram is red ?
Rakz: yes, check this out (Link: http://hem.passagen.se/rakz)http://hem.passagen.se/rakz
Rakz: all the pictures
Tomy: let me see
Rakz: ok, the pics are large, might take some time
Rakz: can get the relevant picture if you dont got at very good connection
Rakz: as you can see, the dram is red
Tomy: I seen it. Yes, it is our dram. Sometimes, when we got dr.sf7, if it is not working, or dram die, then we'll repair and change dram. And we'll sell it.
Tomy: Our dram always work on NTSC SNES for sure.
Tomy: So, we say dr.sf7 for NTSC snes
Rakz: ok... but is there any difference between the original bung memory and the new tototek?
Rakz: I know people that get the gdsf7 to work on there pal snes
Tomy: The speed of dram always between -60 to -70
Rakz: but how long do you test each unit? because the problem doesnt show up at once
Rakz: can -60 be to fast for my snes?
Tomy: And also the brand is different. old BUNG dram is NEC, later, SANGSUNG
Tomy: Yes, PAL is slower than NTSC.
Tomy: So, -60 is fast enough for PAL.
Rakz: but its possible to make a 50/60hz switch to the pal system, can that solve any problem?
Tomy: wait, sorry
Tomy: Can i talk to you again after 10 mins. sorry. need to do something. I'm not go away.
Tomy: hi
Tomy: ?
Rakz: ok
Rakz: Ill be here
Tomy: ok

Ive got a page with photos from inside my gdsf7, check it out:
http://hem.passagen.se/rakz
rippin snare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens. I have a ntsc snes though NOT pal and mine acts up in ways too so I dunno. As well. He is right. The ram THEY make is faster BUT only for ntsc console as there is a timing issue with the 50hz and 60hz. The original NEC/bung memory is slower 50hz. That is the ram I have here for sale.

If you want an original 32M chip (green) let me know. You can compare it to the red (faster) ram and see what happens. I know it seems like a gamble but I assure you it probably isnt your ram as I am running red ram in my ntsc console and its the same thing. The 32M chip (green) I have for sale works fine and I have never had problems with it. It is the slower ram which might work well with your pal console.
Rakz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

continue of session:

Tomy: hi
Rakz: hi
Rakz: as I said, you can do a 50/60 hz switch to the pal snes
Rakz: if that might do any difference? The only other difference with a ntsc snes is the ntsc video output?
Tomy: I've a suggestion. You take out dram , then put it into extra slot. Maybe it will work. But the timing is different from extra slot
Rakz: ok, I will test that... In the same time I can clean the connectors some?
Tomy: I mean the timing from extra slot is different
Tomy: Yes, it is great !
Rakz: but does the dr.sf7 start without ram in the primary slot?
Tomy: The extra slot signal line RAS and CAS come with 50p CAP. Maybe it is better for PAL snes. please try it first. I'll continue to help you , don't worry.
Rakz: ok, great
Tomy: Yes, sure, it can start with extra slot. dr.sf7 is great copier
Rakz: no doubt about that
Tomy: You will not lose anything, I promised. Smile
Rakz: ok =) great, Ill test immediately, if it wont work ill be back
Tomy: ok, i still here
Rakz: good
Rakz: time to test...

time to test, but indeed Im interested in the original dram, where do you live? and how much?
rippin snare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am living in toronto, canada what about you?

The original ram is hard to come by now as you had to a) purchase it back in the day before tototek made them or b) buy another unit just to get an original.

All the ram you can buy now from tototek is their homemade ram so. you won't find an original one there.

Let me know where you are residing and if you take paypal or not. We can work something out for you for sure.
rippin snare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well I just hit the 47 minute mark while playing tales of phantasia. The game played just fine the entire time. I have now backed up the BRAM to the game to a floppy disk (incase I lose it) and have shut off the snes. I will leave it now for about a day and will come back tomorrow and try to continue where I left off. I will see if the game loads fine as should or if I get a black screen again meaning a reload. I will surely let you know what is going on. In the meantime fill me in with what tomy tells you.

I will try again in a few hours intermitent to my test tomorrow to see what happens then. I will post my findings here later today.

do you think 47 mins was a long enough test to verify integrity?
Rakz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to work better for me since I tested Tomys tip...
Hmm, I live in sweden =), but shipping cant be that much for such a small chip?

But whats your price I first must ask you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: