ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GD7 TO PC?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rippin snare

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: GD7 TO PC? Reply with quote

Is there a way to transfer from the SF7 to the PC the same as you can transfer from the PC to the SF7?

I would like to transfer games as well as BRAM from the unit to my PC HD for safe storage and backup.

If this is possible please do let me know or even better yet drop the commands here!

thanks
The Dumper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure is possible if you have the correct cable (and your parallel port doesn't suck). It depends on what program you use to transfer as to what the commands are.

Let's see if I can get this right:

tsf3.exe
------------

tsf3 1 /sf8123 (xfer a rom image to the PC)
tsf3 1 /sf8123.b00 (xfer bram from the SF7 to the PC)
tsf3 1 /sf8123.s00 (xfer saver data to the PC)

Where the 1 above is the parallel port number.
BTW, this is all in the SF7/PSF2 manual.

ucon64 (make sure you are using the latest released version)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: with ucon64 one command is used for both send and receive. It depends on whether or not the file name given exists on the PC.

ucon64 -xgd3 sf8123 (xfer a rom image from an SF3/SF6/SF7 to the PC - file must not exist on PC)
ucon64 -xgd6 sf8123 (same as above but use SF6/SF7 protocol)

ucon64 -xgd3s sf8123.b00 (get bram)
ucon64 -xgd6s sf8123.b00 (get bram using sf6/sf7 protocol)

ucon64 doesn't currently support transfering saver data to or from the Game Doctors. If Daniel adds support for RTS saves on the SWC I'll probably add it for the SF6/SF7.
rippin snare

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wicked the dumper. Thanks a bunch. I hadn't realized it was that easy and that the commands were the same as transfering from pc to gd7 (in terms of ucon64).

I luckily do have a proper cable and a good working parallel port so I'm in good standing.

I'm glad I am able to transfer my save games back to pc as I would hate for the ram to clear on the SF7 and I lose my stuff.

When you mentioned 'saver data' does this refer to the extra 8M allocation when using 'super mode' to get a snapshot screen save? If this isn't implemented yet I think it would be cool to do so so I hope this daniel guy does his part so you can do yours =)

One last thing then I think I am settled. Can you convert save games from Zsnes/SNES9x to be used on the SF7 and vise versa from the SF7 to Zsnes/SNES9x?

Thanks again.
vcdfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rippin snare wrote:
so I hope this daniel guy does his part so you can do yours =)

This Daniel guy is a member of this board (and Cherryroms) and his user name is dbjh. I know it's a bit off-topic, but just thought I'd put that in for those of you who didn't know. And while I'm mentioning him, I'd just like to say that he does a fantastic job in his ucon64 work. Something which we shd all (and I'm sure we all are!) be grateful for. Well done mate Very Happy

vcdfan
rippin snare

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes! I knew him by nick only. Top stuff.. keep up the great work both dbjh and tha dumpah!
dbjh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case someone might interpret The Dumpers reply as I did :-)
The current version of uCON64 does *not* support dumping cartridges with the GD.

rippin snare wrote:
If this isn't implemented yet I think it would be cool to do so so I hope this daniel guy does his part so you can do yours =)

I didn't know The Dumper was waiting for me :-) But okay, then I will add support for it this week.

rippin snare wrote:
One last thing then I think I am settled. Can you convert save games from Zsnes/SNES9x to be used on the SF7 and vise versa from the SF7 to Zsnes/SNES9x?

Yes, if you mean SRAM files (.srm) with save games. Neviksti made a converter for save states, but it's not supported by him, because it's very difficult to debug.
To convert an emulator SRAM file for use with the GD the file has to be (resized to) either 32 K or 32 K + 512 bytes. You can for example use -padn=32768 or -swcs (recommended). Yes, -swcs. The GD SRAM transfer code doesn't use the header.
To convert a GD SRAM file (made with uCON64) for use with an emulator, just rename the file to the name of the ROM dump, give it the suffix .srm and place it in your emulators SRAM directory.

rippin snare wrote:
Thanks again.

You're welcome.

rippin snare wrote:
Top stuff.. keep up the great work both dbjh and tha dumpah!

vcdfan wrote:
And while I'm mentioning him, I'd just like to say that he does a fantastic job in his ucon64 work. Something which we shd all (and I'm sure we all are!) be grateful for. Well done mate

Thanks a lot :-) Sometimes I get a bit tired of working on uCON64, but feedback like that encourages me to continue.
rippin snare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the great and imformative update. I appreciate it. Continue the great work for sure and I look forward to the save state support being updated in the future in terms of transferring to and from.

BTW... on the cherryroms board I heard of that neviksti guy working on a bios hack of some sort for the SF7. What exactly has he implemented that wasn't originally in the bios or what doe he plan to introduce. I think it is great to have an update on this thing after 10 years. Some really great things could probably be added to it. Between yourself, nevitski and the dumper you are all geniouses and really adding a lot to the community.
vcdfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbjh wrote:

vcdfan wrote:
And while I'm mentioning him, I'd just like to say that he does a fantastic job in his ucon64 work. Something which we shd all (and I'm sure we all are!) be grateful for. Well done mate

Thanks a lot Smile Sometimes I get a bit tired of working on uCON64, but feedback like that encourages me to continue.

Your welcome mate.

Rippin Snare: From what I've read yeah nevikski has been doing some work on/with the SF7, but good luck if you understand half of what he writes or he's found out! Not that he doesn't make sense, just that it's way way over my head, and unless your very technical minded it'll probably be the same for you Smile But yeah your right, it is good someone working on stuff like this after 10 or so years, and they all deserve our thanks, emulation developers, rom hackers etc. etc.

vcdfan

EDIT: I've just read that back, I hope that doesn't sound sarcastic or anything Embarassed
rippin snare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no you are right. It is WAAY over my head. That is why I was hoping someone could break it down into english for me =-). I'm excited to know what we could be in store for.
rippin snare

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reading more on the original thread of the exploit i hear it is support for Star Ocean and other games using the similar chip SDD1.

This would be brilliant. Star ocean is probably one of the only worth playing RPG that wasn't released outside of japan. I know there is still bugs being worked out, betas available etc so the game isn't even fully 100% done but to be able to play what is available or to come is awesome. I have never even loaded this game before so to have the first time on hardware would be brilliant.

I haven't seen an update for about a month on that thread. I know its hard work but hopefully not abandoned.

keep up the great work anyone involved in anythign that benefits us.

respects!
rippin snare

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.. reading more I notice people talking about a bios for something called 'game station' what exactly is this and how does it compare to the SF7? They say the bios is 7.20 on the gamestation compared to 7.11 on the SF7? Has it been determined if the 7.20 bios is workable on the SF7 and what does it offer over the 7.11?

I'm really curious and interested in this if anyone has any info please share.

Thanks
dbjh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a uCON64 status update: I added support for SWC Real Time Save data transfer. So now there isn't any reason for John to not work on adding support for GD RTS data transfer :-) I think I will release a binary "snapshot" when The Dumper has added that feature. I don't want to release any more beta's, but a snapshot is almost the same thing.
rippin snare

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome. keep up the great work! does this mean you can transfer a snapshot from a game to your computer and vise versa?

is it compatible on an emu?
dbjh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rippin snare wrote:
awesome. keep up the great work! does this mean you can transfer a snapshot from a game to your computer and vise versa?

Yep. It doesn't work for some games, but that's caused by those games not by uCON64. All SWC transfer programs that support this use the same code (of VGS 96).
BTW with "binary snapshot" I meant a uCON64 binary built from the source code of a certain date.

rippin snare wrote:
is it compatible on an emu?

No. It might be possible to convert to an emulator's save state. However, I don't know anything of the format of the SWC's save state. Unless I find out the format or somebody else provides me with the necessary information you have to resort to SRAM files. It seems that restoring the state of the SNES with an RTS file isn't very reliable so I doubt I will spend much time trying to add a conversion feature.
rippin snare

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. It isn't very reliable. I thought it was a cool feature at first but it gets quite annoying when you reload a 'snapshot' and the music is out synch, locked up, or no music at all. Quite annoying. 8M lost using it per game is a bit much too.

BTW... you kept using SWC in your last post.. is that meaning Super Wild Card? And if so does your transferring work with the Game doctor SF7??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: