ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can someone help me identify the equipment in an old MGD ad?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michielvoo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Can someone help me identify the equipment in an old MGD ad? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm interested in Super Nintendo/Super Famicom copiers (and development), and over the years I've found this forum very helpful, so thanks everyone who contributed!

Today I have a question myself.

I've been looking at the Multi Game Doctor to understand if (and if so, how) it works with the Super Nintendo/Super Famicom. And I found this ad on the Something Awful Forums (link) that seems to imply it does. But there is some equipment on the photos that I could not identify, and it's really hard to decipher the text. I am hoping someone here can enlighten me based on their experience, or their knowledge of the MGD, or even just their knowledge of Japanese.

I've attached the ad below, and I added some number to each item of equipment to help with the identification. Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of these, and I'll update this list:

1. Multi Game Doctor (MGD)
2. Floppy disk drive with enclosure
3. RAM cartridge: can be inserted into MGD, and connected via a ribbon attached to the port on its side to the port on the back of the floppy disk drive enclosure
4. Super Nintendo/Super Famicom IO: connects via ribbon cable on its back to a port on the back of the MGD, contains battery-backed RAM for save games
5. power supply: possibly dual/multiple output, labeled NTSC (New Tai Sang Company?)
6. ?: (same as 7? possibly for dumping Super Famicom cartridges?)
7. ?: can be inserted into MGD, and has a connector on the top for a Super Nintendo/Super Famicom cartridge (possibly for dumping Super Famicom cartridges?)

I wonder how 3 and 4 are connected, what 5 is, and how 6/7 are supposed to work (probably for dumping cartridges). I understand that some advertisements from that era are 'aspirational' so perhaps this equipment was never actually sold?

Anyway, I'd like to clear this up, since I want to decide if I should put in the time, effort and money to try and find some of this equipment.

Thanks!

// Gr. Michiel

Ad.jpg
 Description:
Multi game Doctor advertisement
 Filesize:  21.52 KB
 Viewed:  2104 Time(s)

Ad.jpg

Last edited by michielvoo on Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello michielvoo,

I don't own a MGD1 but here's a pic kyuusaku sent me a while ago of his setup.

The NTSC device is probably a power supply with dual output.

The ram unit 3 sitting on top of the main unit 1 and is connected to the floppy drive via a FDC cable on the side going to the back of the drive.

You have another FDC connector at the back of unit 1 going to the cart 4

I have never seen unit 6, it looks like a dumping hardware sitting on top of the mgd1 (7) but it was probably not released in high volume, pretty much as the MGD2 dumping board since it was expected from users to buy their games directly on floppies from stores in HK.

mgd1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.37 KB
 Viewed:  2081 Time(s)

mgd1.jpg

michielvoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mystic_Merlin,

That people would buy pirated games in shops does explain why this hardware would be rare, since only shopkeepers or their suppliers would need one.

Thanks!
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michielvoo wrote:
Hello Mystic_Merlin,

That people would buy pirated games in shops does explain why this hardware would be rare, since only shopkeepers or their suppliers would need one.

Thanks!

Indeed it was super common to buy games on floppy in Asia back then. Here in Thailand I have a couple of floppies stamped with the MGH or Game Partner logo sold in Super Famicom cases.

I also have one of those floppy label catalog as some customers might want a "cleaner" look for their collection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: